Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

Just now, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I don't know if Ringo was the best singer in the group, but I  believe that George Harrison was by far the best musician of the four.

RBSinTo

Paul is no slouch and can play almost everything except horns. He is/was the best singer in Them Beatles by about 100 miles. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Paul is no slouch and can play almost everything except horns. He is/was the best singer in Them Beatles by about 100 miles. 

Chief,

I agree that Paul is a fine singer, although was he the best voice in the group is debatable. I prefer his singing, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, he is a versatile musician, but I believe that George's guitar playing was vastly superior to Paul's or John's.

RBSinTo

9 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I agree that Paul is a fine singer, although was he the best voice in the group is debatable. I prefer his singing, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, he is a versatile musician, but I believe that George's guitar playing was vastly superior to Paul's or John's.

RBSinTo

Yeah he is. I never liked any of George's songs till Taxman.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 11:20 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sugar and sweet.... they sounded good together. Like in Humble Pie.... Marriot was great but Frampton added some sweet to his salt. Shrugs..... just sayin'. Was either better? I liked the mix.....

14 hours ago, surfpup said:

Sugar and sweet.... they sounded good together. Like in Humble Pie.... Marriot was great but Frampton added some sweet to his salt. Shrugs..... just sayin'. Was either better? I liked the mix.....

Yeah after pretty boy Peter left HP they only made one good album, and then a bunch of half hearted stuff. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Got more new music.

My music teacher has me starting to work on Evis Prestley's cover of  " Mystery Train" (which came about as an extension of my interest in learning "Honey Don't"). Tough riff, but I'm determined not to embarass myself in class.

And I got the tab for "Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins (and covered by Anne Murry) to learn the finger-picking lead.

Fingers on left hand all in casts and slings.

RBSinTo

A whole bunch:

Mad Dogs and Englishmen, remastered (CD and Vinyl)

George Harrison - Live In Japan (Vinyl)

Tom Waits - Real Gone, The Black Rider, Bone Machine (Vinyl)

Leon Russell - A Song For You (DVD), Solid State (Vinyl),  Angel In Disguise (CD)

Delaney and Bonnie - Motel Shot (CD)

Jethro Tull - Nothing Is Easy-Live At The Isle Of Wright 1970 (Vinyl)

Roxy Music - The Thrill Of It All (CD and Vinyl), Live In Lyon (Blu Ray), Live At The Apollo (DVD), Concerto (CD)

King Crimson - Neal And Jack And Me (DVD)

Chris Spedding - Just Plug Him In (CD)

Edgar Winter - Brother Johnny (Vinyl)

Edited by SteveFord

the wife has been pickin up cds at garage sales (about 25c each) and came home with a 2 cd 40 song collection of Mowtown hits, man that cd gets you moving, allmost every song is great and I gotta say that scene was amazing, give some a spin and watch the "beat drive yer feet "  ... (songs from my youth)..have a nice day ...

• Like 1

I ordered these yesterday:

Gentle Giant - Free Hand (CD/BR in 5.1 SS)

Stackridge -  Friendliness

Stackridge -  The Man With The Bowler Hat

Family - Fearless (John Wetton was in this band before KC)

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years, Mule Variations (vinyl, remastered)

JJ Cale - The Road To Escondido, Roll On, Guitar Man (CDs)

Roxy Music - The High Road (DVD)

I have Mule on CD. 

What’s he building in there?

Pilipino Pygmy  Pot Belly Pig? I think.

Think Rog ever had one as a pet?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Tomorrow I complete another successful trip around the Sun (this will be 57 of them) on my trusty spaceship called Earth, and yesterday my cousin sent me the 4 CD 50th Ann. box set -  Rory Gallagher - Deuce. 

I have been on this record labels site called Esoteric Records and there is so much cool English Prog I never heard of. I got Stackridge -  Friendliness the other day, and man are those guys cool and different. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, SteveFord said:

JJ Cale: Travel-Log (vinyl), Stay Around (CD)

Leon Russell - Americana (vinyl), new for $5.00,  why not

"Travel Log" was a fantastic return to form (though it didn't last) and "Stay Around" is really good too, very high quality. 

🎸[thumbup]

The $5.00 Leon Russell album was from an eBay seller.   Americana is not one of his better efforts from what little I heard of it (some song about wanting to pork housewives).

I finally got around to listening to that remastered Mad Dogs and Englishmen album on vinyl and Space Captain and The Letter were totally different versions than all of the other releases.  The Letter sounded like a studio rehearsal, Space Captain had a really annoying guitar playing throughout it, it sounded like Brian Jones on a sitar and the band's  clapping was subdued.  I wasn't expecting that at all.

Edited by SteveFord

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Americana is not one of his better efforts from what little I heard of it (some song about wanting to pork housewives).

MILF's or housewives (could be the same as a MILF) - they all need that special attention once in a while.

Instead of pork, Zappa  would have used plook, but you know that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper