Gibson Brands Forums

The Eagles taking wing?

Whitefang

Long standing American rock group The Eagles recently announced they'll be taking their "final tour" starting Sept. 7 this year.  Don't know how many(if any)original members will be joining the line-up.  And my daughter did  ask a good question.....  "Is this the ONLY farewell tour, or will it be like many of the other "farewell" tours of other bands who had more than one?" 

They're supposedly coming here to Detroit sometime in October.  But I doubt I'll be rushing to get tickets.  I've seen them twice at the beginning of their tenure in '72, back before they deteriorated into doing pap like "Hotel Catatonia".   But they did provide many years of some very fine music.  And do deserve some kind of "well done!" nod of appreciation

Whitefang

“Eagles”, one of my favorite Groups of all time doing another Farewell Tour.. I’ve seen them several times.. The best was the early days with the original members.. One of the greatest 4 Piece Bands ever! They could bring it Live as good as the Albums which was rare…

It’s not the same Band without Glenn.. His Son Deacon tries & does a good job.. But, those are mighty big Shoes to fill…..

Remember their first Farewell Tour? 2005… It’s a great gimmick..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_1_Tour:_Live_from_Melbourne

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

About time. Don is the only original member. Joe and Tim have been there a long time, but not original. Those clowns kicked Felder out who was probably the best guitarist they ever had. He wasn’t an original member either.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Vince Gill and Joe Walsh on the same stage together would be worth the price of admission.

🙂

I agree, but let them play their own music and leave the rest of the band at home. I never thought they were a rock band, more country or soft rock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Vince Gill and Joe Walsh on the same stage together would be worth the price of admission.

🙂

My mother in law saw them the last tour and wants to go again. To me they are a tribute band, and won’t waste my money or time. I’m sure tix are gonna be real cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

It's just another cover band that does a never ending "goodbye" tour that goes on for years and years.

Like Skynyrd.

Sure, come to think about it.  They have been basically a tribute band for the latter 2/3 of "their" career.  In fact I think it's safe to day the line-up now is basically a tribute band of the tribute band.  [blink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

It's just another cover band that does a never ending "goodbye" tour that goes on for years and years.

Like Skynyrd.

Back on the L S rant I see. And people say I got issues.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Soft Rock Band? They can play easy & they can play it hard… This is is the original 4 Piece “Eagles”….  “Out of Control” … Live & Recorded versions… 

Edited by Larsongs

I just read Steely Dan is opening. WTF, it ain’t Dan without Becker. I’m gonna rate this 3 poopy pants plus one loaded diaper to boot.

I saw Dan when both were alive, now one isn’t. What a joke. Why not have fake Steve Howe’s Yes on the bill as well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just read Steely Dan is opening. WTF, it ain’t Dan without Becker. I’m gonna rate this 3 poopy pants plus one loaded diaper to boot.

I saw Dan when both were alive, now one isn’t. What a joke. Why not have fake Steve Howe’s Yes on the bill as well.

Same thing with Glenn Frey…. He is the Eagles!

26 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Same thing with Glenn Frey…. He is the Eagles!

I think you need to change that to was. He’s gone, in the figurative and literal. Now it’s Henley’s tribute band. They milked a heap ton of $ from their fans and this is the last udder to squeeze.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think you need to change that to was. He’s gone, in the figurative and literal. Now it’s Henley’s tribute band. They milked a heap ton of $ from their fans and this is the last udder to squeeze.

Yes, you are right.. But, I meant it in the figurative sense.. As, Music doesn't die.. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

This is my favorite period & line up of the Eagles..

As much as I love the Eagles with Bernie Leadon.... when he quit, hiring Walsh was the right move. After the Long Run (I saw them on that tour) I'm not interested.  What they did to Felder is inexcusable.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, surfpup said:

As much as I love the Eagles with Bernie Leadon.... when he quit, hiring Walsh was the right move. After the Long Run (I saw them on that tour) I'm not interested.  What they did to Felder is inexcusable.

Yep Fingers made even Joe look silly on guitar. He is killer. Remember Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper. Don Henley must die, don’t let him get back together with Glenn Frey.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’ve seen all the Eagles Bands evolutionary changes of personnel live many times.. They were all great.. But, for me, the early stuff was their best. The Original 4 Frey, Henley, Meisner & Leadon arguably produced so many of their most Iconic Songs & most definitely the Eagles Iconic Sound..

I’ve watched quite a few of their recent Youtube videos & that Sound isn’t there now… Except on Some of Henley’s songs.. 

• Like 1