Gibson Brands Forums

Discoloration Gibson logo

Francisz

Hi,

I own a Gibson J45 Studio (AN) since April 2020. It’s a beast of a guitar and the favorite one I own. I’ve noticed though that over time, the logo got discolored (see photo).

I wanted to know, is this normal…? I had always put a tuner on the headstock, right where the discoloration is.

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Looks like the whole right half of the headstock is a different shade of black.  Not just the logo.   

To answer your question - No, this is not normal.  Not on a 3 year old guitar.

I assumed that was just the lighting or a shadow but if not yeah, Houston we have a problem. 

Edited by zombywoof

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Looks like the whole right half of the headstock is a different shade of black.  Not just the logo.   

To answer your question - No, this is not normal.  Not on a 3 year old guitar.

Yeah, it’s the lights and shadows on the photo that are deceiving. The headstock is just black, no problem there.

If you typically attach a capo on the headstock for longer periods of time (even a few hours), the rubber from the capo can chemically react to the nitro and discolor it to this yellow stain. This is a very common issue with nitro finished guitars with capos/stands with rubber material in direct contact with the guitar. it can even burn/melt through the lacquer if left for too long, which happened to  the back of my ES guitar when left on a non nitro safe hanger for a week. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, will97 said:

If you typically attach a capo on the headstock for longer periods of time (even a few hours), the rubber from the capo can chemically react to the nitro and discolor it to this yellow stain. This is a very common issue with nitro finished guitars with capos/stands with rubber material in direct contact with the guitar. it can even burn/melt through the lacquer if left for too long, which happened to  the back of my ES guitar when left on a non nitro safe hanger for a week. 

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining, man👍

10 hours ago, Francisz said:

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining, man👍

If the headstock is evenly black I wouldn't make too much of it - in fact it's a touch of personality.  But find another place for capo'n'tuner. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

If the headstock is evenly black I wouldn't make too much of it - in fact it's a touch of personality.  But find another place for capo'n'tuner. 

Yes, the headstock is evenly black. I replaced the headstock tuner for a D’addario soundhole tuner instead. And you’re right, that’s also a way to look at it 🙂

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Francisz said:

Yes, the headstock is evenly black. I replaced the headstock tuner for a D’addario soundhole tuner instead. And you’re right, that’s also a way to look at it 🙂

Sure ^ You and the logo went through something on your path, it sat a mark and now binds you together. 😎 Especially as you really dig the guitar. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:06 AM, will97 said:

that was exactly my initial thought too.

nothing you can do about that once it's there either.  Nitro,, yeesh!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I like the darker look on the logo. I'd put the tuner on the other side and try to match it.

'Was thinking the same thing- maybe a couple of points across the logo and end up with a reverse sunset burst logo! 

But then again, I'm reminded of what my D'Addario mini tuner did above the "s" and the "o" on the J-45 R:

c6i8CzY.jpg

• Like 1