Gibson Brands Forums

Where were you raised.

CROWB8

I'd like to know where all us guit folk grew up. And maybe, if different, where we got bit by the guit bug. Pics would be a plus, but merely stating cities and such works. It gives me an idea of how diverse our culture is. So I invite all to share. Me thinks this could be fun. If anything, one could just show or tell where they grew up and a little about yourself. Much like the "Introduce Yourself" thread. But a little more indepth. Besides, I'm bored.🙃

I'll start.

Born in FLA. , I grew up in Seattle Washington. Navy brat. On the hill behind all these fishing boats. No shortage of fish or crab for us. Also on that hill is an Army base that's now inactive. Anyway, a grade school friend who's father worked at that Army base introduced me to his Japanese LP copy and showed me a few chords. That was in 1967. Where it all started.

6164425581-3102b43d40-o.jpg

Edited by CROWB8

Caribou, ME. Not lobster Maine. Potato Maine. The north end of the state. Never left here. I don’t know if I could. As to the guitar bug, my father was a friend of Wilf Carter (Montana Slim) and Yodelin’ Slim Clark, and emulated both. Always had either a Gibson or a Martin. From that, I learned to appreciate a high quality guitar. My brother (older by 9 years) played in a couple garage bands in high school and played his Fender Mustang and Heathkit amp with a ton of reverb. My uncle would show up with his black t shirt, Hummingbird, and a cigarette dangling out of his mouth and sing/play until the alcohol made him obnoxious. I watched all three and took from them what worked for me. When I was 7 or so, my brother gave me his circa 1960 Kay 3500, for which I never forgave him. Instead he should have bought me a circular saw. I would have made just as much music and my fingers would have felt about the same. Looking back, I should have forgone every Christmas and birthday present for about 3 years and asked for an LG0 or something. Maybe I wouldn’t suck as bad as I do now. 

Born in NJ, in beautiful Passaic. Moved to California (the Silicon Valley before it was uber stupid) at age one. Joined the Navy at 21. Traveled the world with the USN and USCG for the next 23 years. There is nothing more fun than being on a West Pac and knowing you going to go to both Thailand and the Philippines. Now I’m in SC. Lucky me. I’d rather be in Thailand.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Born and raised in Brooklyn. Lived in Bensonhurst for 30 years. There was an Italian social club on every block and the only crime was organized. Hence, it was the safest neighborhood in the world. Then all the "boys" moved away or were given Federal accommodations and the neighborhood changed. No more leaving your front door open at all hours. I moved 1.5 miles S/W to Bath Beach. Spent 30 years there until that neighborhood changed. So I moved 1.5 miles N/W to Dyker Heights. Home of Christmas light insanity. https://nypost.com/2021/12/18/a-stunning-look-at-the-famous-dyker-heights-christmas-lights/ 

If it takes 30 years for that neighborhood to change, odds are I won't be around. Born, raised, lived and will probably die in Brooklyn.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Born and raised in Brooklyn. Lived in Bensonhurst for 30 years. There was an Italian social club on every block and the only crime was organized. Hence, it was the safest neighborhood in the world. Then all the "boys" moved away or were given Federal accommodations and the neighborhood changed. No more leaving your front door open at all hours. I moved 1.5 miles S/W to Bath Beach. Spent 30 years there until that neighborhood changed. So I moved 1.5 miles N/W to Dyker Heights. Home of Christmas light insanity. https://nypost.com/2021/12/18/a-stunning-look-at-the-famous-dyker-heights-christmas-lights/ 

If it takes 30 years for that neighborhood to change, odds are I won't be around. Born, raised, lived and will probably die in Brooklyn.

We’re your dreams your ticket out?

Born on Fort McClellan, Alabama.
Army family.
Moved a lot over the years.

Fort Bragg, NC.
Fort Rucker, Alabama.
Atchison, Kansas.
Frankfurt, Germany.
Fulda, Germany.

Back and forth. Some places two or three times, in between our dad's tours in Vietnam.

To answer the original question, I was raised somewhere in between hither and yon.
And I never really grew up anywhere.
Never plan to grow up, period.

(Growing up is the first step in an insidious process known as "growing old", and I would rather avoid that, if at all possible.)

🤔

Fulda%20Airfield%2014th%20ACR%20600.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We’re your dreams your ticket out?

"Welcome Back Kotter" huh. The opening sequence during the credits was my original neighborhood. Also, the chase scene in "The French Connection" and parts of the worst movie ever made AKA  "Saturday Night Fever" were filmed there.

A little side note. They were considering using my Bath Beach house in "Walk Among the Tombstones" with Liam Neeson. But, it never panned out.

Edited by gearbasher

I knew it. This is gonna be great. For me anyways. Military brats, GFRR, Heathkit, Italian (married one). My father threw my vinyl records against the wall everytime he caught me using his auto play Lincoln record player. Could play both sides by rotating the platform. One of these.

http://www.myvintagetv.com/lincoln_changer.htm

Edited by CROWB8

47 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

"Welcome Back Kotter" huh. The opening sequence during the credits was my original neighborhood. Also, the chase scene in "The French Connection" and parts of the worst movie ever made AKA  "Saturday Night Fever" were filmed there.

A little side note. They were considering using my Bath Beach house in "Walk Among the Tombstones" with Liam Neeson. But, it never panned out.

4th largest city in America if the sign was right.

I’m sure the new Barbie movie can lay claim to worst ever. SNF maybe a close second.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Dad worked for Texaco overseas until retirement in 1982

I was born in Cleveland, OH. Left after two weeks. Never been back.

1960-62 Lagos, Nigeria - no memories

1962 -1964 Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela - learned to swim

1964 -1969 Santiago, Chile - learned to ski

1969-1972 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - learned SCUBA

1972-1978 San Salvador, El Salvador - learned to party

1978-1982 College in Greenville, SC, but visited parents living in Lima, Peru  - learned to party more

then Gloucester, VA, Macon, GA, and, for the last 35 years, Beaufort, SC - learned to work (and play guitar)

I've lived all over the U.S.A. Never lived anywhere for long, my dad had a travelling bone. 

I guess coming of age in the Mesa/Phoenix area.

Music was in me and I learned I could get paid to drink beer and play guitar. 

Quit drinking around 2010.

26 minutes ago, Murph said:

Music was in me and I learned I could get paid to drink beer and play guitar

Did some gigging around fla gulf in the late 70s. Panama City and such. Learned real quick to pay attention to how you get paid. Ended up owing a bar tab. Arg...

2 hours ago, tlwwalker said:

Dad worked for Texaco overseas until retirement in 1982

I was born in Cleveland, OH. Left after two weeks. Never been back.

1960-62 Lagos, Nigeria - no memories

1962 -1964 Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela - learned to swim

1964 -1969 Santiago, Chile - learned to ski

1969-1972 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - learned SCUBA

1972-1978 San Salvador, El Salvador - learned to party

1978-1982 College in Greenville, SC, but visited parents living in Lima, Peru  - learned to party more

then Gloucester, VA, Macon, GA, and, for the last 35 years, Beaufort, SC - learned to work (and play guitar)

I've been to Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. SD was fun. PP was not as fun. I stepped foot on Haiti too. 

I love me a Papusa and that colelsaw. I eat at the two of the El Salvadorian restaurants around here. The third one is not good.

1 minute ago, CROWB8 said:

Great grandson? You've got to be in heaven bro. Fortunate man sir.

I don't get to see him often. the majority of the grandkids live a couple hours away.  2 are 3 blocks away which is nice. they come over to swim a lot.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've been to Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. SD was fun. PP was not as fun. I stepped foot on Haiti too. 

I love me a Papusa and that colelsaw. I eat at the two of the El Salvadorian restaurants around here. The third one is not good.

I wish I was as well traveled as you & others here. I've just been working, raising kids & gigging. New England is beautiful though. I've made it up to the New England states a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I wish I was as well traveled as you & others here. I've just been working, raising kids & gigging. New England is beautiful though. I've made it up to the New England states a lot. 

It is one of the reasons I joined the service. I would be lying if I said it was cause I said I wanted to serve my country. And that is the reason I was in sea going services. Ships pull into ports. When your are in some of the others you go to a base and your there for years. I can drive anywhere in the States. Its hard to drive to Japan. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

That's how we live forever. Through our kids and our kids kids. That's all we need in life.

I agree. and while I'm not supposed to have a favorite, my grandson Carter almost 5 yrs old, is a piece of work. I see a lot of myself in that kid. he can do no wrong in my eyes.  in the years to come his little brother & 2 younger cousins are going to say "it was Carter's idea" a lot ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1