Gibson Brands Forums

Where were you raised.

CROWB8

Born in Minnehopeless.  Moved out to the ‘burbs at age 7 and grew up there.  Three years away on active duty in the Marine Corps, then back to the Minnehopeless area while attending college.  Left MN in 1984 and only returned every 5 or 6 years to visit family and friends until my mother died in 2011.  Haven’t been back since.

1 hour ago, surfpup said:

Florida born. Florida raised. Still in F-ing Florida.  Born in Lauderdale (don't remember it). Raised in Gainesville (go Gators). Been on the NE coast for the last couple decades (best move I ever made).

Do you not remember being born or Lauderdale? Both?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, surfpup said:

Florida born. Florida raised. Still in F-ing Florida.  Born in Lauderdale (don't remember it). Raised in Gainesville (go Gators). Been on the NE coast for the last couple decades (best move I ever made).

I went to Ft.auderdale to visit a customer.   We went to lunch, so I drove my rental car.

We drove out to a restaurant on the beach.... I dropped the customers off and went to park.

Went behind the restaurant and there were no available spaces.....so I drove back to the street and could see an open spot in a diagonal space in the center of the street.   There was a guy and girl crossing the sidewalk in front of me....so I was waiting for them to cross.

As soon as they cleared the front of my car, the girl peeled off and got in my car!   I said to her, "Get OUT!".    She said, just go right down the street....there's a place to park!     I said again, "Get OUT!".    This went on for a minute or so..... and I was worried about the open parking space getting used by someone else, so I pulled out into the center of the street.   The girl quickly jumped out telling me to do something that is quite literally impossible to do.

The customers were sitting in a booth by a window in the restaurant laughing at me!

33 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I went to Ft.auderdale to visit a customer.   We went to lunch, so I drove my rental car.

We drove out to a restaurant on the beach.... I dropped the customers off and went to park.

Went behind the restaurant and there were no available spaces.....so I drove back to the street and could see an open spot in a diagonal space in the center of the street.   There was a guy and girl crossing the sidewalk in front of me....so I was waiting for them to cross.

As soon as they cleared the front of my car, the girl peeled off and got in my car!   I said to her, "Get OUT!".    She said, just go right down the street....there's a place to park!     I said again, "Get OUT!".    This went on for a minute or so..... and I was worried about the open parking space getting used by someone else, so I pulled out into the center of the street.   The girl quickly jumped out telling me to do something that is quite literally impossible to do.

The customers were sitting in a booth by a window in the restaurant laughing at me!

We always stayed in Hollywood (not the one in Cali) when I had to go there to work at Dania Beach. Worked on both sided of FLA. To me it all looks the same, the Pan Handle, the Atlantic side,  the Gulf side. 

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We always stayed in Hollywood (not the one in Cali) when I had to go there to work at Dania Beach. Worked on both sided of FLA. To me it all looks the same, the Pan Handle, the Atlantic side,  the Gulf side. 

Yeah...I spent a lot of time all over Florida....we had customers all over the state from Gainsville to Key West.  Was in Clearwater for a visit to the beach, then on to Orlando for the National Championship Dog Show.... about 2 years ago.   I'll probably go back for the same trip next year.

16 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah...I spent a lot of time all over Florida....we had customers all over the state from Gainsville to Key West.  Was in Clearwater for a visit to the beach, then on to Orlando for the National Championship Dog Show.... about 2 years ago.   I'll probably go back for the same trip next year.

I stayed in Hollywood once and there was a dog track across the street from my hotel. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I went from Pensacola Fl area to Langley via Charlotte on my harley back in 76. Getting into the Carolinas in fall was breath taking. Beautiful country roads autumn colors abound. Held true all the way to Langley. But it was the Carolinas that got me. Virginia is for lovers? They left out the Carolinas. 

Planned on going north from Virginia to Main, but crossing Delaware approuching Philly, roadside got frickin filthy with trash and such. Turned around b4 Philly.

Guessing some distance after NY, it would have been a beautiful ride again. But, alas, I didn't do it.

Edited by CROWB8

48 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

I went from Pensacola Fl area to Langley via Charlotte on my harley back in 76. Getting into the Carolinas in fall was breath taking. Beautiful country roads autumn colors abound. Held true all the way to Langley. But it was the Carolinas that got me. Virginia is for lovers? They left out the Carolinas. 

Planned on going north from Virginia to Main, but crossing Delaware approuching Philly, roadside got frickin filthy with trash and such. Turned around b4 Philly.

Guessing some distance after NY, it would have been a beautiful ride again. But, alas, I didn't do it.

I lived in Newport News, VA from 2002 - 2019 (retired form the Coast Guard in 2011). I loath VA. Especially that area. The closer you get to the shipyard by the numbered streets the worse that area is. Richmond has fun stuff to do, but its just another big-er-ish city. Williamsburg has lots of cool historical stuff. Yorktown to, but try to afford to live there. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I lived in Newport News, VA from 2002 - 2019 (retired form the Coast Guard in 2011). I loath VA. Especially that area. The closer you get to the shipyard by the numbered streets the worse that area is. Richmond has fun stuff to do, but its just another big-er-ish city. Williamsburg has lots of cool historical stuff. Yorktown to, but try to afford to live there. 

Yea. Langley aint small for an AF base. And the surrounding support community, as there always is, was sprawling and city-ish, to paraphrase.

Luckily, or unluckily, I was choosen to fix a generals F-104. Being transit, I was the smuck that got suckered into working on it. I say smuck because there were no existing tech orders for that aircraft on the base.

Anyway, my only free night was taken from me by this general. Had to go from club to club and drink with him. You don't say no to a 3 star. Boring.

Edit,

I did get an a** kiss letter in my file from him. Eh.....

Edited by CROWB8

54 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Yea. Langley aint small for an AF base. And the surrounding support community, as there always is, was sprawling and city-ish, to paraphrase.

Luckily, or unluckily, I was choosen to fix a generals F-104. Being transit, I was the smuck that got suckered into working on it. I say smuck because there were no existing tech orders for that aircraft on the base.

Anyway, my only free night was taken from me by this general. Had to go from club to club and drink with him. You don't say no to a 3 star. Boring.

Edit,

I did get an a** kiss letter in my file from him. Eh.....

You talking about Langley the city, or the AF Base. Langley AFB is in Hampton, VA next to NASA. Langley the city is by DC, I believe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

Yea. Langley aint small for an AF base

AFB. Sorry if I wasn't clear. New territory then. 50~ yrs ago. Haven't been back since.

Edit,

Oh I see now. My OP on Langley trip didn't specify.

My bad......

Edited by CROWB8

On 7/26/2023 at 9:17 AM, gearbasher said:

We have the Bannerman Castle, just north of NYC on the Hudson.

hv_apr_2023_a017_001.jpg

We took a bus tour up that way many years back but missed seeing that.  I was born in Sewer City Lol. (Sioux City Iowa.) Parents moved to Council Bluffs when I was 2. Lived there till I was 26 and I moved to Omaha Nebraska where I have been ever since.  Learned to play guitar at 13 by my 2 cousins. One played in a band. The Ventures inspired me. Played most of their songs.

17 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

There are a few states that allow dog racing.

I haven't thought about 'the dogs' for many a year.

I just checked and discovered there's still is a Greyhound Racing Stadium in Portsmouth. I've never been there. I'm not interested in gambling. There appears to be more than 30 such Stadiums in the country.

They offer 'retired' greyhounds up for adoption. I don't think its costs anything.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I haven't thought about 'the dogs' for many a year.

I just checked and discovered there's still is a Greyhound Racing Stadium in Portsmouth. I've never been there. I'm not interested in gambling. There appears to be more than 30 such Stadiums in the country.

They offer 'retired' greyhounds up for adoption. I don't think its costs anything.

That's one of the issues with dog racing..... when a greyhound gets old, injured or isn't 'fast enough', they are often simply killed off.

There are only so many homes for retired greyhounds.

45 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Somewhere like this?   [wink]

Junk_Buses.jpg?1493846111

Whitefang

That is some rich Dead Head's mansion. They had to sell a lot of tie dyed t-shirts to afford that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

36 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Blue Bird retirement?

3dc1ee3569d196d44e462a84d48f2315.jpg

No wait. They don't race blue birds and Jerry's not connected in anyway. So out of context. My bad.....

Do you know how many stinky patchouli smelling hippies could use that for housing?