Gibson Brands Forums

Where were you raised.

CROWB8

Just now, CROWB8 said:

Tell me,

did you have to look that up or did you already know how it was spelled?

My trick is I purposely spell stuff wrong if I don't know how and let spell check correct it. Its why I only have a Liberal Arts degree.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

This was my back yard in the mountains in N Cali. I'm 6'1" and the fence is 6' so...

https://i.postimg.cc/xCDmymqS/Photo072.jpg

Even tho it's legal in Cali, I posted as link so not to be in ppls faces.

Prolly delete this shortly anyway.

Unless someone copies it.  [wink]   (Don't worry I will delete if you wish)

Nice.  Looks a nice area to live.

Edited by jdgm

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

It's actually better. Being a quote, it doesn't show as hyper text upon searching. Better than me posting. Since I'm the author of this thread, unless a mod comes at me, let it stand. Or delete. On you.

Edited by CROWB8

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

That's one of the issues with dog racing..... when a greyhound gets old, injured or isn't 'fast enough', they are often simply killed off.

There are only so many homes for retired greyhounds.

I just checked this out in the uk. While there are many charities set up to care for and rehome greyhounds, I did find an 'Independent' (newspaper) article suggesting that 1 in 8 retired dogs are unaccounted for. 

On the whole then, there's not a lot in it for the dog, and I would not support or commend the 'sport' at all. I would though consider homing a retired greyhound at some stage. They do make good pets.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I just checked this out in the uk. While there are many charities set up to care for and rehome greyhounds, I did find an 'Independent' (newspaper) article suggesting that 1 in 8 retired dogs are unaccounted for. 

On the whole then, there's not a lot in it for the dog, and I would not support or commend the 'sport' at all. I would though consider homing a retired greyhound at some stage. They do make good pets.

I'm with you..... even though those dogs love to run, the 'glory' of the sport eludes them.

If you ever get a greyhound, they're not good for going on jobs or bike rides with you....while they can run VERY fast.....they run out of steam quickly.    I thought of adopting one once.... they could cover my yard is seconds!

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Did you think that BEFORE seeing that picture? Or after........?   [wink]

Whitefang

I was raised in a city/town just south of Baltimore and a little north of Annapolis called Glen Burnie. We were the butt of many jokes by people who didn't live there. I have great memories and still keep in touch with quite a few people I grew up and went to school with. It's a mixed area, and I was lucky to have only gotten into mild trouble and didn't die young like some others did.  I actually work for one of my oldest friends from GB in his machine shop behind the house he grew up in and it's within walking distance from my old house. 

There was a brief time in 1992 when I lived in Wilmington DE and worked in Philadelphia. 

My wife and I bought a house in Pasadena MD in 1993 and are still there.  It's about 20 minutes from work and my old neighborhood. 

1 minute ago, saturn said:

I was raised in a city/town just south of Baltimore and a little north of Annapolis called Glen Burnie. We were the butt of many jokes by people who didn't live there. I have great memories and still keep in touch with quite a few people I grew up and went to school with. It's a mixed area, and I was lucky to have only gotten into mild trouble and didn't die young like some others did.  I actually work for one of my oldest friends from GB in his machine shop behind the house he grew up in and it's within walking distance from my old house. 

There was a brief time in 1992 when I lived in Wilmington DE and worked in Philadelphia. 

My wife and I bought a house in Pasadena MD in 1993 and are still there.  It's about 20 minutes from work and my old neighborhood. 

So when and where did you get bit by the music bug?

1 minute ago, CROWB8 said:

So when and where did you get bit by the music bug?

Well, as early as I can remember I always loved listening to music and songs. But it was in the 9th Grade when I got an electric guitar, a no-name LP copy. Started taking some lessons and from then I have always played guitar. I learned pretty quickly, but I was never one of those guys who practiced hours a day. 

It wasn't until about 1994 when I was a young adult with a wife and 2 kids that I started a weekly jam with some work mates and my buddy, mentioned previously who I now work for, and the jams led to a band which led to other bands and so on to this day.     

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I grew up mostly in southern Cal, at 5 someone gave a me Mousekateer guitar with crank on it. Banged on the family piano when ever they let me touch it. Started drums in grade school. At 8 I built a crystal radio that I started listening to it all night. Then at 12 I got a Christmas guitar, not too much later I had to get my first electric. In 64 at 14 my first bass and played my first paying gig for a Frat party. Shortly later I bought my first USA built guitar, an Epiphone.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My mother always told me “close the door were you raised in a barn?”. So I guess I was raised in a barn.

MY Mother always phrased it, "Were you BORN in a barn?"  One day(in one of my moods) I answered, "If I was, you'd have named me Jesus!"    She didn't appreciate that.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

MY Mother always phrased it, "Were you BORN in a barn?"  One day(in one of my moods) I answered, "If I was, you'd have named me Jesus!"    She didn't appreciate that.

Whitefang

I would have gotten the wooden spoon across my buttocks a few seconds after that remark.