Gibson Brands Forums

I hate The Beetles

saturn

Stupid things. I have to scoop dozens out of my pool every day. Then they fly into my storm door and fall down in the little ledge. it's  only 1/2 deep but they're too stupid to find their way out and die a slow agonizing death unless I blow they out. Then my cat is running and bumping into things like crazy at night and I realize she's chasing another damn beetle than managed to get in while a door was open for 3 seconds! I don't even try to kill them, but it seems they have a death wish. How did these dumb things survive all this time? 

I love that band from England of the same name with a slightly different spelling though.  [cool]

• Like 1

I have to deal with the Japanese Beetles this time of year.

They are indeed a pest, by the very definition of the word.

But I feel sort of sorry for them.
The Japanese beetle has a one year life cycle, 10 months as a white grub and 2 months as an adult.

It emerges from the soil as an adult in late June and is active through July and August.   The peak period is July.

So.
Two months alive as a beetle, to do whatever it is that they are gonna do.
Tragic.
🤔

13 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I have to deal with the Japanese Beetles this time of year.

They are indeed a pest, by the very definition of the word.

But I feel sort of sorry for them.
The Japanese beetle has a one year life cycle, 10 months as a white grub and 2 months as an adult.

It emerges from the soil as an adult in late June and is active through July and August.   The peak period is July.

So.
Two months alive as a beetle, to do whatever it is that they are gonna do.
Tragic.
🤔

Out where I live, and maybe you too, we have to listen to the Cicada’s. Big dumb bugs that make a lot of racket.

Beetles with an “A” is always better.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:36 PM, saturn said:

Stupid things. I have to scoop dozens out of my pool every day. Then they fly into my storm door and fall down in the little ledge. it's  only 1/2 deep but they're too stupid to find their way out and die a slow agonizing death unless I blow they out. Then my cat is running and bumping into things like crazy at night and I realize she's chasing another damn beetle than managed to get in while a door was open for 3 seconds! I don't even try to kill them, but it seems they have a death wish. How did these dumb things survive all this time? 

I love that band from England of the same name with a slightly different spelling though.  [cool]

At first I thought you hated the Beatles, Lol. So I checked in the thread. Don't think we get Beetles here? At least like you do? We do get Locusts. Oliver has been smelling some dead ones on the patio wondering what they were. 

we have them here too

They are chewing up the leaves on the veggies in our garden.  and they get into or pool, as well and if we're sitting out in the gazebo at night, they just invade the space unless we close all the screens, but then the air flow sucks.  they are pests. 

Haven't seen them for several years, but back in the '90's some areas around here used to be plagued every summer by some kind of bug that looks like a ladybug but is more "orange-ish" than red.  They'd try to get into everything.  Never knew what they were really called.

Whitefang