Gibson Brands Forums

A legit Gibson Les Paul Supreme?

sdiefko

Hey everyone! I found this Gibson that's for sale locally and it's being sold as a replica of a Gibson Les Paul Supreme but I was intrigued to see if it's possible that it's authentic! So obviously the headstock is different but I suspect this might be a custom choice or maybe an aftermarket decision that was done? The Bigsby was added after so that mystery has been solved. The serial number checks out that it was made in the custom shop factory but some things do look off to me:

- The horn looks a bit crooked

- The machine heads look a bit too close to the binding

- The binding looks a bit different

- Is it me or the serial number is a bit crooked too?

Anyways I would love to hear your thoughts and fingers crossed if it's a legit Gibson I might be snapping a deal! Cheers!

363408040_238744239066740_7247435540435182472_n.jpg

363415292_238744175733413_724540655797207760_n.jpg

364551232_1590057354857924_3555991372679631980_n.jpg

366014432_238744159066748_9157119249535317013_n.jpg

366239199_238744269066737_5948249017421961647_n.jpg

17 hours ago, GibSinCity said:

Well, it is being sold, "as a replica of a Gibson Les Paul Supreme".

replica aka fake aka not a real one aka . . .  I'm all out.

I wonder if that's a fake Bigsby?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

"Hey everyone, I found this Les Paul on craigslist for $650, but I don't believe it's real.  What do you guys think???"

"Hey everyone, I found this replica Les Paul on craigslist but I think it might be real.  What do you guys think???"

Jesus H Smack my effing Head Christ on a stick they will sell guitars to anyone.

rct

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

"Hey everyone, I found this Les Paul on craigslist for $650, but I don't believe it's real.  What do you guys think???"

"Hey everyone, I found this replica Les Paul on craigslist but I think it might be real.  What do you guys think???"

Jesus H Smack my effing Head Christ on a stick they will sell guitars to anyone.

rct

I think you should buy both of them. 

I sometimes doubt my strings are real D’addario’s.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

I always found it somewhat interesting the far east that makes these counterfeit guitars even puts on fake Grovers too.  The attention to detail is uncanny, haha!  They totally botch the headstock-neck binding transition though - and quite a few other things as well.  Notice that binding transition picture isn't featured in the ad I bet.  Gibson does it right. 

Real easy to learn about counterfeit Gibson guitars in this age of inter-webs.  I had this period of time where I viewed many luthiers repair these kinds of guitars, trying to make firewood sing essentially.  I felt it was beneficial though, because I have noticed particular characteristics of the construction to visibly "flag" counterfeits.  I don't so much get concerned with Gibson losing out, but people getting scammed is never cool.  Probably said this before here, but haven't commented on counterfeits in a long while. 

It's gotten to the point that I advice people to never buy used...

Remember back when you'd maybe get an e-mail from a Nigerian prince once every five years? These days you can't open anything, can't buy used, can't answer your phone, etc. etc.

On 8/26/2023 at 12:40 PM, Pinch said:

It's gotten to the point that I advice people to never buy used...

Remember back when you'd maybe get an e-mail from a Nigerian prince once every five years? These days you can't open anything, can't buy used, can't answer your phone, etc. etc.

All I get are emails from tranny hookers on meth. At least you got one from a prince. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper