Gibson Brands Forums

Punk Rock

Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I just remembered, I saw another punk band, Blonde Redhead.

I don't know if they were good or bad, they had the sound system cranked up so loud it was just deafening.  They started playing and it was a wave of people running backwards.

I do recall looking over at the stage and seeing the guitarist fall onto his back and one of his legs shooting up in the air.  WTH?

I also saw the Plasmatics at the Pier in NYC.  Wendy O. was really entertaining, the musical highlight was when this giant black guy with a mohawk stepped on his guitar cord, unplugged his Flying V and didn't realize it so he kept going for about a minute with his guitar unplugged.  

I haven't heard Blonde Redhead in years. The Plasmatics were just awful. Was Wendy's nips taped with electrical tape?

Electrical tape and a mohawk.  Shake shake shake.

I think she blew up an old Cadillac as part of the show.

This show must have been sometime after the cops beat her up.  The only two things that really stood out was the guy unplugging himself and not realizing it (that was great) and then she gave a little talk which ended with, "A pig is a pig and that's that!" and then she went back to running around the stage shaking her boobs and then her butt.

She was entertaining, I miss Wendy O.

Edited by SteveFord

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

This show must have been sometime after the cops beat her up.  The only two things that really stood out was the guy unplugging himself and not realizing it (that was great) and then she gave a little talk which ended with, "A pig is a pig and that's that!" and then she went back to running around the stage shaking her boobs and then her butt.

I remember seeing them on TV every now, and then in there hayday,  if they had one. They should have gotten together with The Sex Pistols. Can you image like 8 talentless buffoon's make unlistenable noise. Mohawks and hankies on the head. 

On 8/20/2023 at 6:06 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Being a D Bag was/is Rotten/Lydon’s schtick since he stared out as Malcom’s toy. I certainly can irritate people, but I’m not famous or is it infamous? I probably should have been in a band that was a waste of a load and maybe I would be?

How did you Brits feel about that Manchester dance, and taking Ex scene in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I like the song I Wanna Be Adored, by the Stone Roses, and that was about it. Never cared for Jesus Jones, Inspiral Carpets, The Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, or Primal Scream.

I was never impressed with any of those bands and I could take or leave the whole Brit-pop thing, it bores me rigid. 

On 8/8/2023 at 2:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never listened to much Punk Rock. I was listening to a punk band I really like on the way into work, and it was, X - Under The Big Black Sun. I saw them twice. I used to listen to The Misfits, Fear, The Dead Kennedy's, X, The Ramones, Black Flag, and Social Distortion. The Sex Pistols were just garbage. Never Mind The Bullocks is just unlistenable to me.

So who did you listen to, or go see. Or did you even like Punk Rock.

Dear Pepper , you can't say that  SEX PISTOLS's STEVE JONES  wasnt a great les paul custom  guitarist  in his own genre 

2 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I can't speak for the Sarge, but I have no problem saying Jones is not a great player. 

Nobody can rule on opinions. 

Mate ,  even Johnny Ramone wasn't a great player  but he invented a genre  with Ramones , credit  where credit is due 

Edited by marco mancini

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I can't speak for the Sarge, but I have no problem saying Jones is not a great player. 

Nobody can rule on opinions. 

Steve was just another barre chord basher. The fact that he has a sig guitar proves nothing. Look at all the sad sacks that are not even R O C K that are in the R&R Hall Of Shame.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, marco mancini said:

Mate ,  even Johnny Ramone wasn't a great player  but he invented a genre  with Ramones , credit  where credit is due 

How long did real Punk last? It may have been a new genre, but they were just three chords, and it was faster, and angrier. There is so much out there called Punk that's just not. I guess some bands are still doing it. Look at the Ramones. If you got the first album, you really had the second and the third, just different lyrics. 

When I was in high school I took video class with the infamous Russ Gibb. He liked kids to shave their heads and wear knee high doc martens with white laces. He promoted the film romper stomper haha! Never got into punk - or ska for that matter. I was a metal head and still listen to metal. So punk, ska, goth (insert more crap here) no thank you. To each and to their own, not everyone likes my tastes either, but I just don’t identify with the trendy music ever. 

And for the record, I liked Big Sur! Wasn’t too bad of a guy. He passed not too long ago and took care of a lot of the “loser” kids that ended up flourishing under his wing. Good guy, RIP. I digress…

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

When I was in high school I took video class with the infamous Russ Gibb. He liked kids to shave their heads and wear knee high doc martens with white laces. He promoted the film romper stomper haha! Never got into punk - or ska for that matter. I was a metal head and still listen to metal. So punk, ska, goth (insert more crap here) no thank you. To each and to their own, not everyone likes my tastes either, but I just don’t identify with the trendy music ever. 

And for the record, I liked Big Sur! Wasn’t too bad of a guy. He passed not too long ago and took care of a lot of the “loser” kids that ended up flourishing under his wing. Good guy, RIP. I digress…

Romper Stomper Bomper Boo. I used to watch that show as a kid. Or are you talking about the one with Russell Crowe?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Romper Stomper Bomper Boo. I used to watch that show as a kid. Or are you talking about the one with Russell Crowe?

The one with Russell Crowe. You wanted to be under Russ’s wing, you shaved your head and looked the part. I got a C in the class. I didn’t even make a video in video class. At least I passed…

17 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

The one with Russell Crowe. You wanted to be under Russ’s wing, you shaved your head and looked the part. I got a C in the class. I didn’t even make a video in video class. At least I passed…

So to get on his good side you had to be one of his puppet minions. Nope. I do what I want. I'm not playing punk rock dress up for a decent grade. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

In the late 70s I was so fed up with the music my contemporaries liked, I would have jumped on ANY train that took me out of town. On one side there was disco, the other side Kansas, Styx, BOC, and I couldn’t relate to either side. I picked up a copy of PUNK magazine and about that same time I was exposed to the phenomenon via a tv show called Weekend, which did a story on it. I bought the Sex Pistols album and tried to like it. I bought a Ramones album and enjoyed it more, but also had the opinion that they played the same song 14 times to fill an album. Enter Elvis Costello. I saw him on SNL with the giant glasses, ill fitting clothes and a Jazzmaster refinished in the style I call “hippie s*** brown”. He was so radically different, I had to run out and buy every album. Boring! 1978 and 1979 brought me Devo and the B-52s, neither of which were punk, but it gave me something “different” to latch onto. Through 80-81-82 I listened to Split Enz, the Brains, the Flying Lizards, Bow Wow Wow, the Cure, Sparks, etc. By that time, punk was very much past tense. 

8 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

In the late 70s I was so fed up with the music my contemporaries liked, I would have jumped on ANY train that took me out of town. On one side there was disco, the other side Kansas, Styx, BOC, and I couldn’t relate to either side. I picked up a copy of PUNK magazine and about that same time I was exposed to the phenomenon via a tv show called Weekend, which did a story on it. I bought the Sex Pistols album and tried to like it. I bought a Ramones album and enjoyed it more, but also had the opinion that they played the same song 14 times to fill an album. Enter Elvis Costello. I saw him on SNL with the giant glasses, ill fitting clothes and a Jazzmaster refinished in the style I call “hippie s*** brown”. He was so radically different, I had to run out and buy every album. Boring! 1978 and 1979 brought me Devo and the B-52s, neither of which were punk, but it gave me something “different” to latch onto. Through 80-81-82 I listened to Split Enz, the Brains, the Flying Lizards, Bow Wow Wow, the Cure, Sparks, etc. By that time, punk was very much past tense. 

I have the Flying Lizards first album on vinyl. I first heard it in the summer of '81 when I went to visit my relatives in NJ. My cousin had it on cassette. We used to listen to that and Adam & The Ants, the one with Ant Music while playing ping pong in the basement. I have Sparks - Propaganda on CD.

I dig Elvis Costello. Saw him 3 times. His first 7 albums are really good. After that it was hit and miss for me. 

I'm a bit late to this, but I really like quite a lot of the Dead Boys stuff and  Iggy and Stooges of course. I like the Ramones, though I remember the first time I heard them I thought they were one of the worst bands ever. It took me a long while to appreciate them, but eventually I got into their music. It might be an unpopular opinion, but  I especially like their later stuff such as the album Brain Drain from 1989 and the last few they did in the 90's.

When I was a teenager in the late 90's a few people I knew liked stuff like Rancid, Green Day and Blink 182, but I never got into any of that really.

Edited by cody78

On 8/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, SteveFord said:

I saw her towards the end of her career. She was wearing a black leather bikini bottom and a whipped cream top. She carved up a guitar with a chainsaw. Awesome show for a 21 year old!