Gibson Brands Forums

The Rolling Stones New Album

IanHenry

It would be great if they would do Covers of great old Blues tunes that they haven’t Covered before.. Something like their first couple Albums & skip doing Originals.. With lots of Harp..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It would be great if they would do Covers of great old Blues tunes that they haven’t Covered before.. Something like their first couple Albums & skip doing Originals.. With lots of Harp..

Are you kidding, they just did a blues cover album in the past few years. Enough is enough. I guess The Glimmer Twins are gonna milk it till they are pooping in Depends. And still if Keef’s crumpled hands can form a barre chord they will give it a go. Steve Howe’s sad Yes needs to stop too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

why?...my guess is that they probably just enjoy hanging out and playing at being rock stars every so often, much like my band when we get together for a jam this weekend...a few tunes, a few beers... I don't think the Stones have much more delusion of relevance than we do - though some promoter will probably cash in somewhere down the road but so what. I'll probably have a listen to a few tracks just out of mild interest like millions of others. and why not?

If there's an age where you have to stop playing in a band and start wearing slippers all day and complaining about everything and everyone I'm hoping I already missed it!  [laugh]

• Thanks 2

I'm not really much of a fan of the Stones, everything they've done since the 70's is pretty average to me, but should they carry on? If they still enjoy it and people keep turning up why not, it's better than sitting in a care home waiting to die.  

I’d like to hear them do earl Blues Covers but more on the level of their album, “Englands Newest Hitmakers”.. The recent Blues Covers album was not on par with that album.. With the enormous Blues catalog of songs I think they could’ve chosen more well known & Rockin Blues tunes.. 

But, not having Brian Jones has definitely changed their sound.. 

38 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Nah! Their early stuff was their best but the ones you mention excellent too..

Never cared for anything before Beggars. Just them covering blues songs. Boring. And Satanic Majesty is an LSD fueled mess. Oh the Beatles can do it, we can to. Nope, not even close.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

I own exactly two Rolling Stones albums.

Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
That's enough I reckon.

And over the years, I have performed certain Stones songs, and on a fairly frequent basis at that.
Angie
2000 Man
Satisfaction
Wild Horses

I respect the history and legacy of the Rolling Stones, really I do.

I hope the new album is a smashing success, really I do.
But I'll wait awhile to see if any of the songs rise to the level of the three listed above.

Paul McCartney.   KISS.  The Rolling Stones.   AC DC.  Even Neil Finn.
All have had every opportunity to knock me out with new releases in recent decades.

None have delivered.
🤔

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I own exactly two Rolling Stones albums.

Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
That's enough I reckon.

And over the years, I have performed certain Stones songs, and on a fairly frequent basis at that.
Angie
2000 Man
Satisfaction
Wild Horses

I respect the history and legacy of the Rolling Stones, really I do.

I hope the new album is a smashing success, really I do.
But I'll wait awhile to see if any of the songs rise to the level of the three listed above.

Paul McCartney.   KISS.  The Rolling Stones.   AC DC.  Even Neil Finn.
All have had every opportunity to knock me out with new releases in recent decades.

None have delivered.
🤔

Don’t count on it being a hit. Some Girls will make it look silly. Of that I’m sure.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Never cared for anything before Beggars. Just them covering blues songs. Boring. And Satanic Majesty is an LSD fueled mess. Oh the Beatles can do it, we can to. Nope, not even close.

To each his own.. But, 100’s of millions of people aren’t wrong in liking their earlier work.. If not for that they never would’ve got to the albums you mention.. 

There was a time when 45’s ruled! Music was moving too fast.. From the mid 50’s to the mid 60’s most Kids didn’t buy Albums.. Unless, they were Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles or Stones.. Maybe a few others..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

To each his own.. But, 100’s of millions of people aren’t wrong in liking their earlier work.. If not for that they never would’ve got to the albums you mention.. 

There was a time when 45’s ruled! Music was moving too fast.. From the mid 50’s to the mid 60’s most Kids didn’t buy Albums.. Unless, they were Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles or Stones.. Maybe a few others..

I'll let you buy it and tell me how good it isn't. Did you buy the last 6 or 7 garbage albums they put out? I stopped at Tattoo You. Which is marginal. Undercover, A Bigger Bang, Bridges To Babylon, Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels, good lord the silliness. And The very last one Blue And Lonesome the blues cover album, As Colonel Kurtz say in Apocalypse Now "The Horror".

In the 60's The Beatles led and everyone else followed. The Beach Boys pretty much ruled the music scene till The Beatles came along, But 10 albums of nothing but cars, girl and surfing (which only Dennis did) was getting old. What they (The Beatles) did everyone tried to do six months after they heard the newest album. Its just how it was. The Stones did it too. Oh The Beatles did a crazy psychedelic album, well we should take a lot of LSD and do that too, but they couldn't. They were a blues cover band. The best thing that band had was Brian , who was a mess when they sacked him. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

I haven’t bought a “new” Album by anyone in years.. I have bought reissues of great Albums by great Bands.. But, I haven’t heard anything by anyone that would warrant buying their whole Album in a long long time.. 1 or maybe 2 good songs doesn’t get me interested in buying albums with 10-11 throwaways… I’ll download the Singles..

Still I wish “The Stones” luck.. I do agree that Brian added some magic to their Records that disappeared after he was gone.. He always added something uniquely interesting that lifted their Records & could innovate clever little Riffs, Hooks & or by adding something cool with an interesting Instrument…

Edited by Larsongs

It's refreshing how Sgt. Pepper and a few others on here are so positive! I think the Rolling Stones can do whatever they like and probably don't care if people don't like it. Some of the Rolling Stones music I love and some not so much, but they should keep making new music as long as they can. Good for them.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Johnny Cash released American IV: The Man Comes Around in 2002, the year before he died at 71.
It was produced by Rick Rubin, and was considered some of his finest work.

AmericanIV.jpg

That was a good album, and for me American III was even better...mind you its been more than 5 years since any of the Stones was as young as Johnny was then!  [scared] [laugh]

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cody78 said:

It's refreshing how Sgt. Pepper and a few others on here are so positive! I think the Rolling Stones can do whatever they like and probably don't care if people don't like it. Some of the Rolling Stones music I love and some not so much, but they should keep making new music as long as they can. Good for them.

Here is the thing, who in the Rolling Stones organization doesn't want them to do this? The answer is no one. One, there is money to be made off of it no matter how awful or great its some will buy it. And two, it will also lead to one more tour of the world, and that is now where the real money is. Tickets, merch, ect ect. Like I have said before The Stones announce tomorrow they want to do a week at Madison Square Garden.  They will sell out every show just on their name alone. 

I was watching a rock documentary this weekend, and it was the producer or engineer that worked on the Dirty Work album. He made me laugh when he said it was the worst Rolling Stones album to date. Until they made the next one.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is the thing, who in the Rolling Stones organization doesn't want them to do this? The answer is no one. One, there is money to be made off of it no matter how awful or great its some will buy it. And two, it will also lead to one more tour of the world, and that is now where the real money is. Tickets, merch, ect ect. Like I have said before The Stones announce tomorrow they want to do a week at Madison Square Garden.  They will sell out every show just on their name alone. 

I was watching a rock documentary and it was the producer or engineer that worked on the Dirty Work album. He made me laugh when he said it was the worst Rolling Stones album to date. Until they made the next one.  

I seem to be missing the problem there Sarge (if indeed there is one you are pointing out) - people within their organisation support them to make an album, they play some rock shows in lots of places, folks sell some stuff to those who want to buy it, lots of people show up at their performances....that's all good isn't it? 

• Thanks 2