Gibson Brands Forums

Today Is My J-45's 20th Birthday... 239th day of 2003.

Murph

Rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard and bridge. My # 1 since the day I got it, the reason I went all acoustic (eventually) and the reason I joined this forum, back when it was a different forum.

I play this guitar every day, it's never had a neck reset, or a fret job, although it's getting close for the frets. The fact that I play all over the neck I believe is how I've avoided the fret job issue.

They are all wearing together...

I also bought a J-15 to take some noodling time off of it, and now the J-15 is showing considerable wear. I play a lot, gigged last night with the J-15 due to the extreme heat.

Anyhow, the "workhorse" has lived up to its name.

ZOsLR9Y.jpg

osWx8Yk.jpg

• Thanks 1

I also sold off my last electric (a 1958 Tele) about 20 years back but still keep a Supro lap steel and Standel amp around just in case.  

Talking about frets though I used to play a 1956 Southerner Jumbo.  I had it up in the shop to take care of some divots in the neck the size of Crater Lake.  When my repair guy looked at it he also wanted to do a fret job and just had to make the comment "when Gibson talked about the 'fretless wonder' they we not talking about this guitar."

But a happy B'day to your guitar. In a J45 chronology, it appears to have survived adolescence and grown into an upstanding young adult.  And I agree it is in a pair of very good hands. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 2:45 PM, J185cat said:

Very nice. Dig that TV in the background also.

I think it was a DuMont. I gave it to an old dude who likes to restore them. They actually had their own network back in the day and competed with ABC, NBC and such.

13 hours ago, Murph said:

I think it was a DuMont. I gave it to an old dude who likes to restore them. They actually had their own network back in the day and competed with ABC, NBC and such.

Wow. I have never heard of that one but that is so cool. Once again learned something on here.