Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuner Day

saturn

Got myself a Peterson StroboStomp Mini. It arrived from Sweetwater on Saturday and I used it at the gig that night. I immediately love it. 

Over the years I've gone through various tuning methods. Whether clip-on, multi effects with tuner or stand alone pedal. Most recently I've been using an Octopus, but that has been giving me volume issues lately. No matter what tuner I used, I was never really happy with the end result. Even when it showed right-on, I found myself making little adjustments by ear. But I hate doing that live at gig. People don't want to hear a guitar being tuned.  So I after doing some research, I went with Peterson, and got the mini to save a few bucks. 

Not only is this tuner more accurate, but it had settings for something called Sweetened tunings. I used the GTR setting last night and noticed the difference. I haven't had a chance to go through all the setting and options yet. Here's a 45 second video overview of the pedal.

• Upvote 2

I've been all acoustic for many years, but have owned and used the Peterson clip on for the last year or so and love it.

It reminds me of the old days gigging with 1 Peterson tuner at a gig and everybody would use the same tuner....

They are the top shelf for tuners in my book,  hands down.

I've had a few Peterson products, starting with the original VS-1 strobe tuner I picked up back in the late 90s.

I have an HD clip now,  It's the best of the tuners I own, (about 5 or 6)

They are good with Customer support too.

Edited by kidblast

8 hours ago, Murph said:

I honestly don't remember how we tuned back before the original (square box) Peterson Strobe. The front man/guitar player in a band I was in in the late 70's bought one, and we would take turns. 

The 70's are a bit hazy.....

If it was quiet. I could 'hear' an E by imagining an orchestra tuning up. 

I lost the ability some 20 years ago. After that I'd ask the keyboard player for a E or A. 

The only downside to tuners is this: now we've got 'em, we need 'em. 

In my first band (a garage band, I was in high school) we just tuned off of each other.

The bass player was normally the most in tune, and he kept his bass regularly tuned to the piano in his mother's house.
So he would strike a 12th fret octave on the top E string, and the lead guitar player and I would tune ourselves from there.

Close enough for rock and roll, I guess.
The lead guitar player, Curtis, would often sneer, "Tuning up is for pussies!!"

😬

On 9/4/2023 at 7:44 AM, Murph said:

I've been all acoustic for many years, but have owned and used the Peterson clip on for the last year or so and love it.

It reminds me of the old days gigging with 1 Peterson tuner at a gig and everybody would use the same tuner....

lol, yea back in the 70's we thought we were hotshots with our Petersen Strobe on stage ...