Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville-Memphis next month

ksdaddy

I'm not one to travel. In fact the only time I've gone on a plane was to the Homecoming in Bozeman in 2007. We've been planning a trip to Nashville and Memphis for a couple years now, likely hit the talking stages pre-covid and just bumped back until the crisis was over. We have our flights, which they keep changing. We have our hotel, which is not far from Broadway, and most important, we are scheduled for a day trip to Memphis to see Sun Studios and Graceland. My #1 goal is Memphis Recording Service, 706 Union Avenue. I just want to be able to say I was there. As to Nashville, I do want to see the Country Music Hall of Fame and Ryman. I'd like to go to Gruhn's but it's a little out of town... maybe an Uber? We do not have an itinerary other than the Memphis side trip and the Grand Ole Opry (Gatlin Bros and Crystal Gayle are scheduled that day).

I'm not a little bit panicked, wondering where something will go wrong. Not a traveler, me.

• Like 2

Gruhns would probably be worth a cab/uber fee. When they were on Broadway it was easier, but the "tourist" traffic must have driven them crazy as time went on. Broadway is now just a bar scene with bars actually cruising the road, and since I no longer drink alcohol, I don't go to Nashville anymore.  I really enjoyed the Hall of Fame many years ago, but it's probably been ruined as well.

Memphis has kept a lot of its heritage with less glitter and more grit, but there is still too much glitter.

I'm glad I got to spend a lot of time in Nashville before it was totally ruined. Gigged a little, busked a little and played the Bluebird and Tootsies. Although I'm sure there are people who say it was too industrial back in those days and it's much more "hip" now.

Have fun with it and keep your wallet safe. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great trip.. We’ve been planning to do that for awhile.. I’ve got Musician/Songwriter friend & collaborator who bought 15 Acre Property about 15 miles from Nashville..

Probably spend a week there.. I’d rent a Car or Truck & see everything I could.. Take a drive from Nashville to Memphis.. 

Have a great trip!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

The Ryman Auditorium is one of my favorite places ever.

So much history, and the acoustics in that joint are just fantastic.
I recall that the designers built it in such a manner that a speaker or performer on the stage could be heard clearly to a person sitting in any seat in the house.
Built in the late 1800's, only shortly after the advent of electric microphones, this was important.

One thing I would recommend, while visiting Memphis, is to visit the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel.
This is where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated by James Earl Ray.
The museum was built into the back of the old motel, and the motel and parking lot (with period-correct automobiles) have been preserved to appear precisely as it was on that fateful day back in 1968.

It is a surreal landmark, and just a bit creepy.
I liken it to visiting Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas.
The street where JFK was assassinated, the grassy knoll, and the 6th Floor Museum there;

I'm of the age where both of those tragic, historical events are burned into my earliest memories.

🙁

• Like 1

It's still Music City U.S.A. There are a ton of things to do and see. I just think the 2nd Ave./Broadway area has been taken over by rapper country and over commercialized.

They were saying the same thing in the early 90's about pop country.

It'll still be a hoot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Murph said:

It's still Music City U.S.A. There are a ton of things to do and see. I just think the 2nd Ave./Broadway area has been taken over by rapper country and over commercialized.

They were saying the same thing in the early 90's about pop country.

It'll still be a hoot.

I was just there in 2018 or so. I was on Broadway several days when there. I saw no Rap Country. It was commercialized as Kid Crock of She It has a bar, and Garth Bo Bo Brooks is opening one too.  I'm sure since the last time I was there at least 4 other country bros have opened bars. I went to Gruhn's, Carter's Vintage,  The Grand Ole Opry (we had tix for this), saw Richard Thompson in a small club (we had tix for this), went to Tailgate Micor-Brewery, The Station Inn to see Jack Pearson (he only plays there a few times a month, if he is there GOOOOOOO), Tootsies Orchid Lounge, The Country Music Hall Of Fame. Get some Nashville hot chicken, and there is a killer place for breakfast by the college that usually has a line out front, so I knew it was good. It was I went twice. I think there is a Johnny Cash Museum too.

• Like 1

I went to Graceland in 2008-9. It was really interesting. When I went there were about 3 or 4 different tours you could take. Memphis can be dicey in certain areas. Beale Street was not that impressive. BB Kings bar down at one end and Coyote Ugly is down at the other end. One of the nights I was there Beale was blocked off to cars, and they let motorcycles line the streets. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

There's a guy with a nice '66 Pro Reverb for $1850 somewhere in Nashville...

I had an early silverface "Super Reverb" when I was young. Shoulda never let that one get away. I still have a "Champ" and a "Prosonic" (Zinky)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took my daughter to Memphis in Aug. of 2018, back when the Gibson factory there was still operating. The things I recommend doing/seeing are;

Graceland

Beale St.

Mud Island (historical park on an island in the Mississippi with a cool "working" scale model of the entire Mississippi molded into the concrete of the walking plaza)

Historic Trolley's (still in operation) 

Central BBQ!!!! (the BBQ place locals love. It gets busy, so be prepared)

The Peabody Hotel (if only for the "Duck" parade)

The Gibson Beale St. Showcase (former factory) if it is still there

LFHzJQt.jpgcou8qxq.jpgC279sRQ.jpgVtfZBbX.jpgV6AKK6U.jpgoLqBpsb.jpgSshuKIn.jpgm7NJZVA.jpgSVxPiT2.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome pics Sheepdog, looks like it was a good trip.

It was awesome. It was my daughters first LONG road trip. We did 7 States in 15 days, (Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas). I was so glad that we were able to do the Gibson factory tour in Memphis, because the online buzz at the time was that it was closed for good, (which it is now). That's where I caught my 335 infection! Didn't see the "Ghost of Elvis",  but we were walking with our feet 10ft. off the Beale. 

On 9/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, ksdaddy said:

I'm not one to travel. In fact the only time I've gone on a plane was to the Homecoming in Bozeman in 2007. We've been planning a trip to Nashville and Memphis for a couple years now, likely hit the talking stages pre-covid and just bumped back until the crisis was over. We have our flights, which they keep changing. We have our hotel, which is not far from Broadway, and most important, we are scheduled for a day trip to Memphis to see Sun Studios and Graceland. My #1 goal is Memphis Recording Service, 706 Union Avenue. I just want to be able to say I was there. As to Nashville, I do want to see the Country Music Hall of Fame and Ryman. I'd like to go to Gruhn's but it's a little out of town... maybe an Uber? We do not have an itinerary other than the Memphis side trip and the Grand Ole Opry (Gatlin Bros and Crystal Gayle are scheduled that day).

I'm not a little bit panicked, wondering where something will go wrong. Not a traveler, me.

If you can, try to check out the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville. If you decide to stay there, definitely pay extra for a room facing the interior atrium. (there are at least three atriums, so check it out online) Lots of live music for free throughout this MASSIVE complex, AND a waterpark for the kids (if that applies) Words cannot describe this place, and I have travelled the world and seen more than most! GNqp8zX.jpgcUY2yFr.jpgn88Xirk.jpgyzbKSTd.jpgQeklruh.jpghj8dlYj.jpgi3RQyqU.jpg2sKb9lY.jpg

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 1