Gibson Brands Forums

Bassiest Gibson Acoustic

Rosinante

9 minutes ago, jt said:

Oh, my. I'm confident that luthier has never played a pre-war herringbone. Every one that I've played has had an astonishing bass response. So much so that I found the guitars not useful for my playing.

I've never had the opportunity to play a Martin Pre War Herringbone, but I have had a few guitars that were booming and like you "I found the guitars not useful for my playing."

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That is one beautiful guitar. 

What's going on with the mortar on your brick wall?

Haheh, , , it's was fortified over 25 years ago when the cement-block under the window got refreshed. There was no balcony then. This is a former working class hood. . 

I btw. find the F-bird very flamy and had to 'put out' the p-guard.

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've never had the opportunity to play a Martin Pre War Herringbone, but I have had a few guitars that were booming and like you "I found the guitars not useful for my playing."

My repair guy (whom I have seen vintage Martin guys call "Doc") has probably worked on more pre-War Martin D28s than I will ever see in the flesh.   So, I took him at his word.  A friend of mine who is a sound engineer and who knows my Gibson has been chomping at the bit to get the guitar into his shop where he can measure the low-end frequency.   

On 10/19/2023 at 3:16 PM, J185cat said:

Of the models I have played or owned my AJ has the deepest bass. There was a model Gibson made in the past, can’t remember the model number, maybe J40, that they built to compete with them D28 that I have never played. I’m sure someone on here can comment on that. I currently have a custom shop D28 that has Adirondack top and scalloped Adi braces set in the “Golden Era” position. It of course is a deep resonate guitar but my AJ is right there with it with just the perfect amount of Gibson sparkle on top.

I'm wondering if you mean the Gibson J-60, which gives every impression of being Gibson's answer to a Martin D28.

• Upvote 1