Gibson Brands Forums

Bassiest Gibson Acoustic

Rosinante

Long story short I am getting a big bonus at work this year, more money than anyone has ever given me at one time.  Half is going to the family and practicality, and the other half is for a nice guitar.  I will be able to get pretty much any acoustic I would like and since I live within driving distance to Fuller's and love Gibson's it just might be a Gibson.

Previously I have owned several fantastic J-45s that I had to part with for financial reasons with the TV J-45 being the best of the bunch, unfortunately the new custom shop J-45s don't have the Advanced X bracing.

Anyway all things being equal, what Montana acoustic has the deepest most cavernous bass.  I'm looking for something that when tuned to drop D will put anyone in the room on notice.  I have another guitar that is very balanced, so the main purpose for this would be just the bass and the thump!

Of the models I have played or owned my AJ has the deepest bass. There was a model Gibson made in the past, can’t remember the model number, maybe J40, that they built to compete with them D28 that I have never played. I’m sure someone on here can comment on that. I currently have a custom shop D28 that has Adirondack top and scalloped Adi braces set in the “Golden Era” position. It of course is a deep resonate guitar but my AJ is right there with it with just the perfect amount of Gibson sparkle on top.

The deep bodied short scalers like the Stage Deluxe Rosewood seemed to be the right formula for producing good bass, but that depth of sound without any great projection is of little use. 

Of what use is great bass if it doesn’t project it cleanly.? (check the clarity of bass on a maple J-185 just for grins)

Edited by 62burst
  • Upvote 1

Haven't we seen/heard some of the 12-fret Custom Slopes from 8-10 years ago come in with some very deep sounding bass to them? Why am I thinking something like the Jackson Browne model? 

The long scale rosewood implementation of my HC SJ-200 Pre War 1939 has a very nice low-mid rumble to it. It's loud and boisterous and you can feel the rumble, but not sure it's as deep as a bass sound that I've heard in the Custom Slope samples heard  'round the forum. Most of the guitar shop demos online use rooms and mics that add to the brightness, which makes it kind of tough to judge.

11 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Haven't we seen/heard some of the 12-fret Custom Slopes from 8-10 years ago come in with some very deep sounding bass to them? Why am I thinking something like the Jackson Browne model? 

The long scale rosewood implementation of my HC SJ-200 Pre War 1939 has a very nice low-mid rumble to it. It's loud and boisterous and you can feel the rumble, but not sure it's as deep as a bass sound that I've heard in the Custom Slope samples heard  'round the forum. Most of the guitar shop demos online use rooms and mics that add to the brightness, which makes it kind of tough to judge.

Well when I get the cash in the bank account and make the trip to Fuller's I will try 2 of everything they have before deciding.  I'll probably do something stupid like buy a dove because it's pretty!

• Like 1

I've never had a problem getting bass from the couple of J-45s I had in the past. Just wondering what others experience was.  I did play an amazing AJ at guitar center of all places over 10 years ago and that had what I am looking for however time travel is unfortunately not possible and if it was I doubt I would waste it on guitar shopping.

2 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If getting a strong bass out of a Gibson acoustic was my goal, I would get an Advanced Jumbo (AJ), put some 13's on it, drop it a half or whole step and make sure the setup is high enough to not buzz.

• Haha 1

I'll have to say the acoustic Firebird - it's royalty and it's monstrous.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Heavier sounding than both Hummingbird (for sure), J-45 and, , , the sibling Dove. 

To illustrate how dangerously strong it is we here see how it killed a passing spider - 

DONXREr.jpg

9rlhiBL.jpg

It was shown no mercy.

I've got a 50s J-45 that is the bassiest acoustic guitar I, or anyone who's heard it, ever heard.  Maybe it's just this one, but I feel like I've seen other threads where folks have talked about maybe the chunkier neck having something to do with it.  Also, I think bone nuts and saddles produce more bass than the Tusq that's on the J-45 standards.

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Do not have a clue.    But the second-generation luthier who fixed up my 1942 J50 described it as having a low end which would send a pre-War Martin D28 Herringbone running for cover.  Said his father used to call guitars like these "once in a blue moon Gibsons."  

Oh, my. I'm confident that luthier has never played a pre-war herringbone. Every one that I've played has had an astonishing bass response. So much so that I found the guitars not useful for my playing.