Gibson Brands Forums

How Come...?

Murph

Flour tortillas don't mold anymore? And is that safe to eat?

When I was a kid, we moved to Arizona. I got into some Mexican food, me...

But those flour tortillas would be all moldy in like 3 days. It was uncanny how fast they would go bad. In the fridge, out the fridge, didn't matter.

I found some the other day that had fallen back behind the dog food container and they must have been there for 2 weeks. Still looked perfect. Made me want to make a burrito and try 'em out.

I didn't, but still....

Now that I think about it, bread used to mold up a lot quicker, too. When I bake fresh bread (yea, I'm a baker) it's only good for few days, but the store bought loaves last forever.

This can't be good, eh?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Maybe that’s why we all have allergies to everything.   Like peanuts, seafood and air. 

Makes sense to me. I mean, we had preservatives in the 60's and 70's too, but they weren't THAT damned good.

Maybe that explains the rampant stupidity, as well...

So much of the food we get from the store, restaurants, etc… who knows what we are being fed. Again, my beef with corporations putting in the cheapest crap in food to save a buck not caring what happens to those that give patronage to their empires. If I had it my way, there’d be warning labels on food that is garbage like there are on cigarettes, etc. To me, what’s the difference if you die from smoking in X years or die from dietary issues in about the same amount of years from a debilitating condition - like smoking causing emphysema, cancer, COPD in general. Dying from obesity related diseases or colon cancer isn’t much better if at all. I trust the FDA about as much as I can throw a full sized pickup. Just me though… There's a reason we need colonoscopies more regularly today - because food out there is a lot of garbage and ironically not inexpensive. Hard to find a healthy meal when you have things like diabetes to deal with and other dietary issues.  All I’m saying is that I have seen people die from these sorts of things and hope it isn’t the way I go out. No thank you. 

36 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

So much of the food we get from the store, restaurants, etc… who knows what we are being fed. Again, my beef with corporations putting in the cheapest crap in food to save a buck not caring what happens to those that give patronage to their empires. If I had it my way, there’d be warning labels on food that is garbage like there are on cigarettes, etc. To me, what’s the difference if you die from smoking in X years or die from dietary issues in about the same amount of years from a debilitating condition - like smoking causing emphysema, cancer, COPD in general. Dying from obesity related diseases or colon cancer isn’t much better if at all. I trust the FDA about as much as I can throw a full sized pickup. Just me though… There's a reason we need colonoscopies more regularly today - because food out there is a lot of garbage and ironically not inexpensive. Hard to find a healthy meal when you have things like diabetes to deal with and other dietary issues.  All I’m saying is that I have seen people die from these sorts of things and hope it isn’t the way I go out. No thank you. 

Even Organic isn’t really Organic.. The FDA allows something like 17 non organic Pesticides, Fertilizers & other Chemical type products.. 

I've found I mold pretty quickly myself these days!

I've left instructions for when I pass....no cremation, no embalming.... just throw me in the cheapest box you can buy and bury me, (in The National Cemetery).

I suspect I'll mold faster than those tortillas from a decade ago!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I was going to say as far as I could throw my house, but if I lived in San Francisco that might be a tent. In that case I would have not made my point 😀

Not only that....but it's hard to get decent footing when sliding around in human feces!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jvi said:

perhaps not supporting corps and eating granola while letting your hair grow long  and getting woke is the answer....

I'm more of a long haired redneck.

30 acres and a hunting cabin is more my style.

• Like 4

You knew the answer to the question you asked before you asked it.

So this being woke stuff and tearing down statues, did someone have to tell you that slavery or other stuff  was bad, and then you realized it was bad when you learned that inslaving people, and making them do stuff against their will was bad. I knew slavery was bad when I heard about it and learned about it in school I didn’t need to get woke about it. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, NighthawkChris said:

I trust the FDA about as much as I can throw a full sized pickup.

FDA - the very definition of 'Worthless'.      FDA  probably started out doing good things.   Seems like now - all they do is collect a paycheck

.    I wonder why children are reaching puberty at 10 years of age now?  If you sit outside a Middle School waiting to pick up your grandkid -   you'll think you were back in high school.  We have 5 granddaughters age 11 - 18.  They, and their friends are all 'advanced'.    Boys have beards, girls ....   Someone is putting something in our food, and if it ages kids - you have to wonder if it ages all of us. 

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm more of a long haired redneck.

30 acres and a hunting cabin is more my style.

I was raised next door to a dairy farm.... out where the school buses didn't run.... but I lived 'in the suburbs' most of my adult life.... but while I'm less than 2 miles from downtown here in Danville, I live out with the chickens and the goats.  Maybe my living situation for the last 30 years would best be described as "Living in the Exurbs".

21 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

"Living in the Exurbs".

I actually live in a subdivision, albeit an old one. I can't have chickens here.

My 30 acres is about 1 mile away, but it's deep woods except the areas I keep mowed around the pond, and a bit around the cabin. I kept some chickens there years ago, but it was a battle with coons, possum, foxes, bobcats and such. 

32 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I wonder why children are reaching puberty at 10 years of age now?  If you sit outside a Middle School waiting to pick up your grandkid -   you'll think you were back in high school.  We have 5 granddaughters age 11 - 18.  They, and their friends are all 'advanced'.    Boys have beards, girls ....   Someone is putting something in our food, and if it ages kids - you have to wonder if it ages all of us. 

You make a hulluva point, but...

Only my body is aging.

My mind still thinks it's young.

:-k

4 minutes ago, Murph said:

I actually live in a subdivision, albeit an old one. I can't have chickens here.

My 30 acres is about 1 mile away, but it's deep woods except the areas I keep mowed around the pond, and a bit around the cabin. I kept some chickens there years ago, but it was a battle with coons, possum, foxes, bobcats and such. 

My next door neighbor has chickens....and there are horses behind me.   We have deer in the yard pretty often, but usually up on the upper lot so I see them poke their heads over the side once in a while.  There are only 5 houses on our street.... We have 'new' neighbors on the street..... a family and her parents.... they are building an ADU for the parents...been there maybe 2 years.    The next newest neighbors are a couple of PhD's....who live maybe 4 months a year in England.... been there probably 25 years.   We are the 'middle' house....both in location and our seniority.....we're coming up on 30 years.    The people at the end of the street, he was a scientist at the Lawrence Livermore Lab, but has been retired about 10 years.    They've been here about 35 years!    The oldest residents are our next door neighbors, (with the chickens).   Their house started out to be the original farmhouse....so if you see the house from the street, it looks MASSIVE, (and it kinda is), but in the back in the small original farmhouse.

If neighbors can make or break a house, we're blessed with the absolute best, (which is why we all stay here!).

1 hour ago, Murph said:

You make a hulluva point, but...

Only my body is aging.

My mind still thinks it's young.

:-k

My young mind had problems like - I wonder if that girl in my class will go out with me, or I sure hope I don’t get caught smoking weed behind the portable classrooms before school, now my old mind has problems like which one of these two stupid idiots am I gonna vote for, and boy work sure is a drag.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

If neighbors can make or break a house, we're blessed with the absolute best, (which is why we all stay here!).

It makes a big difference.

I've never understood why some neighborhoods aren't allowed to have chickens, but they allow a bunch of rugrats running around.

Chickens are way cleaner than kids.

Hell, junk cars are cleaner than kids...

• Sad 1