Gibson Brands Forums

The Humble Studio...

Murph

My first good guitar (Gibson) was my Melody Maker twin pickup double cut I got in Florida for my 12th birthday. I played the Surfside Lounge in Clearwater with it at the age of 12. My uncle was a Marine and had met the band and arranged for me to "set in" with them. They liked me and I was able to do it many times and the other guitar player would often exit the stage leaving me the only guitar player up there. Scared me the first time.

By the time I started working clubs for $ in Arizona, my first real gig was playing bass with a country/rock band. 3 nights a week and I was still too young, but looked old enough and learned how the business really worked. The guitar player and myself eventually joined forces, with me back on guitar and my old Melody Maker was, you know, kinda a kids guitar and it was time to get a Les Paul or an SG or switch over to Fenders, and he played a Tele.

I found my used '72 Les Paul Recording in a pawn shop in Tempe, Az. At that point my reputation was solid, I was legal age, had a van and a p.a. and worked every weekend for years. When I re-located to Louisiana, I had a Peavey Deuce and never missed a beat, going straight to work and eventually forming the first lineup of Double Aught, which I cemented after re-locating to Illinois. The frets were flat on the Les Paul by 1997 and my SG had an issue, and I swapped the Les Paul straight across for a new American Standard Strat because I'd joined a band with hundreds of bookings in the can and needed the single coils and a whammy and a new/dependable rig. I sold the Strat after that project wound down, although it was used a few times on the Double Aught cd.

When Les Paul died back around 2009, I realized it had been a while since I owned one, and always loved my Les Paul and I looked at my tax numbers for the year and bought a nos 2008 Wine Red Studio. I still have it. It never got worked a whole lot because I had also bought the first year ES-339 and that was my # 1 until I went all acoustic after I quit drinking. But I did gig it enough to appreciate the humble Studio Les Paul. It'll do anything a fancy one will do, but it doesn't cost as much as your Grandaddy's first house. 490R/498T were plenty hot, wide range of tones available, mine was before coil tapping was a thing with Studios. Mine is also chambered which I like. It's louder unplugged than my old one was, and I've read that Les (the man) liked chambered bodies. I never cared about binding, could take it or leave it, my 91 Tele doesn't have binding and everybody digs a Tele, but somehow a Studio doesn't get the respect. Not that it should.

And that's just not right.

oYLPZzf.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Murph said:

My first good guitar (Gibson) was my Melody Maker twin pickup double cut I got in Florida for my 12th birthday. I played the Surfside Lounge in Clearwater with it at the age of 12. My uncle was a Marine and had met the band and arranged for me to "set in" with them. They liked me and I was able to do it many times and the other guitar player would often exit the stage leaving me the only guitar player up there. Scared me the first time.

By the time I started working clubs for $ in Arizona, my first real gig was playing bass with a country/rock band. 3 nights a week and I was still too young, but looked old enough and learned how the business really worked. The guitar player and myself eventually joined forces, with me back on guitar and my old Melody Maker was, you know, kinda a kids guitar and it was time to get a Les Paul or an SG or switch over to Fenders, and he played a Tele.

I found my used '72 Les Paul Recording in a pawn shop in Tempe, Az. At that point my reputation was solid, I was legal age, had a van and a p.a. and worked every weekend for years. When I re-located to Louisiana, I had a Peavey Deuce and never missed a beat, going straight to work and eventually forming the first lineup of Double Aught, which I cemented after re-locating to Illinois. The frets were flat on the Les Paul by 1997 and my SG had an issue, and I swapped the Les Paul straight across for a new American Standard Strat because I'd joined a band with hundreds of bookings in the can and needed the single coils and a whammy and a new/dependable rig. I sold the Strat after that project wound down, although it was used a few times on the Double Aught cd.

When Les Paul died back around 2009, I realized it had been a while since I owned one, and always loved my Les Paul and I looked at my tax numbers for the year and bought a nos 2008 Wine Red Studio. I still have it. It never got worked a whole lot because I had also bought the first year ES-339 and that was my # 1 until I went all acoustic after I quit drinking. But I did gig it enough to appreciate the humble Studio Les Paul. It'll do anything a fancy one will do, but it doesn't cost as much as your Grandaddy's first house. 490R/498T were plenty hot, wide range of tones available, mine was before coil tapping was a thing with Studios. Mine is also chambered which I like. It's louder unplugged than my old one was, and I've read that Les (the man) liked chambered bodies. I never cared about binding, could take it or leave it, my 91 Tele doesn't have binding and everybody digs a Tele, but somehow a Studio doesn't get the respect. Not that it should.

oYLPZzf.jpg

I was never real big on Les Pauls....but for some reason, always liked the SG's.

I'm sure you know the story of the Gold Top I coulda had if I woulda had $13 in my pocket.

13 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I was never real big on Les Pauls....but for some reason, always liked the SG's.

I'm sure you know the story of the Gold Top I coulda had if I woulda had $13 in my pocket.

I love 'em both, that SG is a '79 I found, New Old Stock in 1993, it was 14 years old with the plastic on the pick guard.

No, tell me the Gold Top story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Murph said:

I love 'em both, that SG is a '79 I found, New Old Stock in 1993, it was 14 years old with the plastic on the pick guard.

No, tell me the Gold Top story.

As you know, I worked in a music store back in the 60's.   One of my jobs was to clean & wax the floors twice a week.   One night I found an old Les Paul Gold Top in the broom closet.   I asked by boss about it the next day....he said he took it on on trade....gave the guy $13 for it.   I told him I'd buy it for $13....he said "okay".

Back in the mid-60's $13 was a lot of money to a kid making $1.75/hour...and I told him I'd pay him for it on Payday.

When Payday came, I went to the broom closet to get it, and it was gone.

I asked the boss about it, and he said he didn't think I really wanted it, and sold it to Barry, (our lead guitarist).

I asked Barry about it many years later, (like 40+ years), and he said he sold it for a boat-load of money.

Not sure what I would have done with it had I bought it....it was after that I sold all my stuff anyway.

Cool story..

I’ve had LP’s since the late 60’s… With PAF’s, P90’s etc.. I still have a few.. One is a 90’s LP Std Plus Heritage Cherry I still own.. It has 490R & 498T Pups & I think they sound great! IMO they are some of the best sounding modern HB’s.. No shame with those Pups at all!

I’ve never owned an SG??? I don’t know why??

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Cool story..

I’ve had LP’s since the late 60’s… With PAF’s, P90’s etc.. I still have a few.. One is a 90’s LP Std Plus Heritage Cherry I still own.. It has 490R & 498T Pups & I think they sound great! IMO they are some of the best sounding modern HB’s.. No shame with those Pups at all!

The 490 is essentially a Classic 57 with extra wires for those who need them. 

I agree, it's excellent. 

30 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Cool story..

I had an SG for a short time....was from my cousin's estate, (he left 44 guitars that me & my son had to sell).

Also, did a reunion concert where two band joined together, (because so many of the members of both bands had died), and the lead guitarist played a very nice SG.

I was playing my strat....that I didn't like, and playing his SG was very nice!   I'd dump my strat, but it was my cousin's and I'd had to let it get out of the family.

5 hours ago, Murph said:

oYLPZzf.jpg

I love me a wine red guitar. My 339 Studio is that colour too. They look great. Wish I could've started playing that early in life, 

Never had a SG either, but they a probably my favourite looking Gibsons. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

The 490 is essentially a Classic 57 with extra wires for those who need them. 

I agree, it's excellent. 

I’ve got 57’s in my Memphis ES335.. I think I like the 490R & 498T more..

Regarding my ES335 I’m actually planning to upgrade the 57’s to Custom Buckers per LG Kings recommendation.. I’ve listened to them & they sound very close to original PAF’s like I had in my Vintage 59 ES345 Stereo..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I asked Barry about it many years later, (like 40+ years), and he said he sold it for a boat-load of money.

Who the heck would have thought that stuff would be so valuable in a few decades?

I owned a Super Reverb 4:10 when I was like 13, swapped it for something else. I could have invested in old Fender amps as a kid and retired a millionaire many times over.

I bought an old Bassman in a yard sale with no speakers and a dead lizard in it for $15 and sold it for a grand, but by then I knew.

Back then, I had no freaking idea...

54 minutes ago, Murph said:

Who the heck would have thought that stuff would be so valuable in a few decades?

I owned a Super Reverb 4:10 when I was like 13, swapped it for something else. I could have invested in old Fender amps as a kid and retired a millionaire many times over.

I bought an old Bassman in a yard sale with no speakers and a dead lizard in it for $15 and sold it for a grand, but by then I knew.

Back then, I had no freaking idea...

Yes....you're right.    I might have told you I gave my old Pre-CBS Jaguar to my brother.... he had it for like 40 years (I thought).

One day I asked him about it....he told me he sold it years ago for like $1200.    Broke my heart!

On 12/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, Murph said:

When Les Paul died back around 2009, I realized it had been a while since I owned one, and always loved my Les Paul and I looked at my tax numbers for the year and bought a nos 2008 Wine Red Studio. I still have it.

Great story.  My dad had always played guitar -- mostly a very old beat up 1939 Epiphone Zenith -- and when he almost died from some stomach problem, I bought him a wine red LP Studio and my brother got him a little Fender amp, and he was totally jazzed during his convalescence... and beyond.   

That also kind of reanimated my interest in guitars, even though I'm mainly a keyboardist, and now after a brief stab at electrics and many years of trying (initially) cheap acoustics then various models, I'm pretty well stabilized in my retirement with three excellent jumbo Guild 12-strings -- F512, F212XL, JF30-12 -- and a beauty of a jumbo Guild 6-string -- F50R.    

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, merciful-evans said:

Wish I could've started playing that early in life, 

It was a blessing and a curse. I also started smoking and drinking at a very young age. I was gigging a biker bar in Apache Jct. (Mesa/Phoenix) at age 16, three nights a week while going to High school. And I had other side hustles. I was chatting with my high school English teacher one day and he said "Man, you're making more than I am."

But those times went by so fast, and the drinking and smoking will age you and kill you. I was still doing it into my late 40's, early 50's and finally had to stop or die.

The writing was on the wall.

It had always been on the wall.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Murph said:

It was a blessing and a curse. I also started smoking and drinking at a very young age. I was gigging a biker bar in Apache Jct. (Mesa/Phoenix) at age 16, three nights a week while going to High school. And I had other side hustles. I was chatting with my high school English teacher one day and he said "Man, you're making more than I am."

But those times went by so fast, and the drinking and smoking will age you and kill you. I was still doing it into my late 40's, early 50's and finally had to stop or die.

Yes it is. I haven't smoked for years, but I still drink. A recent blood test showed my liver was normal, but cholesterol isn't. That's probably down to drink because I do everything else I'm supposed to.

I really wanted a guitar when I was 8. My dad was convinced I'd never stick with it, so he wouldn't buy me one. I had to wait another 8 years until I had enough money of my own. I bought a dreadful piece of junk of course (an Italian Eko ), but it got me started at least. Dad eventually came through by helping me build my 1st speaker cab. 

41 minutes ago, Murph said:

I read a wonderful quote someone told the Megadeth bassist in rehab: "stop for a year. If you don't like it, we'll gladly refund all your misery." 😂 

If my memory serves, the Studios were 1249.00 (American) back around 2009. Looks like they're 1699.00 now.

I'm guessing they will jump up again, pretty soon, with the dollar losing its luster.

I have no idea what the used market is for electrics anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

I have no idea what the used market is for electrics anymore.

I wouldn't chance it anymore. Look at the "is it real?" threads on here. Used to be a fake was an anomaly. Now it's like 40/60 in favor of Chibsons. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1