Gibson Brands Forums

Is Gibson becoming a luxury brand?

Lars68

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Okay so as an Mod how deep are you in the Kool-Aid. Are you a Gibson employee, or you just got picked to be a Mod cause you have connections? Basically does Cesar stoke a check you way with Gibson as the Payer?

I am a full-time Gibson employee. My job title is Senior Editor, Gibson Brands. Do I have "connections?" I've been working in the music industry in various capacities for decades, and I know a lot of people, so if that's what you consider "connections," then I guess the answer is yes. 

Do I get any special favors from Cesar? No. No more than any other employee. Personal opinion time again - in my opinion, Gibson is very good to their employees and treats us well.

As far as drinking anyone's Kool-Aid, I've never done that. I call things as I see them, and I will do so whenever I post here, and I will always be as clear as I can regarding when I am doing something as an official employee of Gibson Brands (for example, when doing Site Admin tasks here) and when I am expressing my personal opinions.

As a Gibson employee, believe it or not, for several years, it used to be part of my job to fairly and impartially review products from many different brands. My instructions at the time were to remain absolutely editorially neutral, and I tried to be as fair to Fender when I reviewed their products or announced their new products as I was to Yamaha, or Warm Audio, Universal Audio, or Epiphone, or anyone else. I still have great relationships with people from all of those brands (and many more) today. And when I reviewed something from Gibson, I announced my connection to them at the start of the review, and tried to be just as fair - and when called for, critical of issues I spotted in Gibson Brands products as I was with products from other brands - even direct competitors. 

While I do currently have about seven Gibson Brands guitars in my collection, and have had dozens of others over the years, most of them were purchased before I became a Gibson employee. I don't buy gear that I don't like and/or won't use. 

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Slash sure seems to.  How many guitars does that guy not pay for?

Slash is a Gibson Brands Brand Ambassador. In fact, he was our first Brand Ambassador. As far as his compensation for that (if any), I have no idea what the arrangement is. 

It's not uncommon for major brands to loan, or in some cases, to give (or sell at a discounted price) guitars to major artists if they're going to use them on-stage and/or in the studio. Many guitar and MI brands do endorsement deals with major artists, well-known engineers/producers, and in some cases, even with promising new artists.  Disclaimer time again - I've previously officially endorsed products from Ovation, ADAM Audio, Yamaha, TASCAM, and a couple of other brands, so if you're scanning through old guitar/music industry/recording magazines you might come across an ad with my name in it, although I no longer officially endorse any brands. 

PS I've also done beta-testing for numerous brands over the years, including Yamaha, TASCAM, Digidesign/Avid, SSL, Waves, etc. etc. Again, I am currently not actively involved in beta testing for any other companies besides Gibson Brands, and even then, only occasionally. 

I've gigged Gibson guitars since the early 70's. And made a video with one this year. And have more plans for this year.

Mine are not a luxury.

They're essential...

Only a Gibson is good enough.

• Like 2

My brother had an Ovation that had sunk to the bottom of a swimming pool water logged in the case for some time. Angry Ex Wife story. The Neck was so warped & bowed it was crazy..

We took it to a Guitar repair guy who was also a Lead Guitarist.. He said the Guitar wasn’t worth repairing as it would cost as much as it was worth or more..

This Guy took that Guitar, tuned it up & layer down a lead Guitar solo on a song we were recording in one take & it was perfect!

That day I learned there are guys who can make junk Guitars sound phenomenal… It has nothing to do with what Guitar or what Price point it is… It’s the Guy playing it..

16 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

PS I've also done beta-testing for numerous brands over the years, including Yamaha, TASCAM, Digidesign/Avid, SSL, Waves, etc. etc. Again, I am currently not actively involved in beta testing for any other companies besides Gibson Brands, and even then, only occasionally. 

Does Gibson foot the bill for all the gear you beta test?

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Does Gibson foot the bill for all the gear you beta test?

Outside of the few things I've tested for Gibson Brands, Gibson has not been involved in any way with the beta testing that I've done. 

Beta testing is trying hardware and software products prior to their commercial release, and reporting on their performance and any issues or bugs. The companies don't charge you, but those products go back once the testing is finished, and in the case of software, it is often time-limited, so it expires. Sometimes you can get a copy of the finished software or hardware once it is released at a reduced price as a thank you. In the cases where I've opted to do that, I've paid for those things myself. 

20 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I am a full-time Gibson employee. My job title is Senior Editor, Gibson Brands. Do I have "connections?" I've been working in the music industry in various capacities for decades, and I know a lot of people, so if that's what you consider "connections," then I guess the answer is yes. 

Do I get any special favors from Cesar? No. No more than any other employee. Personal opinion time again - in my opinion, Gibson is very good to their employees and treats us well.

As far as drinking anyone's Kool-Aid, I've never done that. I call things as I see them, and I will do so whenever I post here, and I will always be as clear as I can regarding when I am doing something as an official employee of Gibson Brands (for example, when doing Site Admin tasks here) and when I am expressing my personal opinions.

As a Gibson employee, believe it or not, for several years, it used to be part of my job to fairly and impartially review products from many different brands. My instructions at the time were to remain absolutely editorially neutral, and I tried to be as fair to Fender when I reviewed their products or announced their new products as I was to Yamaha, or Warm Audio, Universal Audio, or Epiphone, or anyone else. I still have great relationships with people from all of those brands (and many more) today. And when I reviewed something from Gibson, I announced my connection to them at the start of the review, and tried to be just as fair - and when called for, critical of issues I spotted in Gibson Brands products as I was with products from other brands - even direct competitors. 

While I do currently have about seven Gibson Brands guitars in my collection, and have had dozens of others over the years, most of them were purchased before I became a Gibson employee. I don't buy gear that I don't like and/or won't use. 

Sgt. Pepper  has a history of liking to lock horns with anyone and everyone.  He regularly detracts from all things 'Gibson'.   I am sure he would like nothing more than to have the entire Gibson Forum shut down: since Martin doesn't have one -  Gibson shouldn't. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Didn’t Gibson initially sign Slash to a Recording Contract for a large sum of money?

Yep.  Gibson Records 'label' under BMG. Three years ago. First artist. Common knowledge.   Why? Was that inappropriate?  

51 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  Gibson Records 'label' under BMG. Three years ago. First artist. Common knowledge.   Why? Was that inappropriate?  

I don't think Gibson Records is owned by or "under" BMG in any way - they are just the distributor for the label, IIRC. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sgt. Pepper  has a history of liking to lock horns with anyone and everyone.  He regularly detracts from all things 'Gibson'.  

He's certainly entitled to his opinions, and as long as he doesn't cross the line into personal attacks or other violations of the site rules, he's free to express them. 

I've done the forum moderator and site admin thing on various forums for a long time. One of my main guiding principles is that I respect people's rights to their opinions, and want to let them have as much room as possible to express them, but I do ask for everyone to remain civil and treat each other with decency, even when you strongly disagree about whatever is being discussed. IOW, everyone stay away from personal attacks and insults, please.  If everyone does that, and follows the rules that they agreed to when they signed up as a site member, it's all good. 

I am sure he would like nothing more than to have the entire Gibson Forum shut down: since Martin doesn't have one -  Gibson shouldn't. 

Company-sponsored discussion forums are not universal. I have nothing against Martin (they're a legendary MI brand and have made some great guitars), but I don't know why they don't sponsor or have a forum of their own. I'm sure they have their reasons. They do cost money, and take time and effort to support. 

As far as this forum goes, AFAIK, it's not going anywhere any time soon. 

8 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I don't think Gibson Records is owned by or "under" BMG in any way - they are just the distributor for the label, IIRC. 

I apologize.   I mis-interpreted what I read.   The press release from BMG called it a "strategic label partnership'.     Obviously, I have no idea what that means !   Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I apologize.   I mis-interpreted what I read.   

No apology necessary! 🙂 

Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome, but again, that's just my understanding of the arrangement. I could very well have some of the details wrong, but from what I have read/heard, Gibson is the label owner and BMG is the distributor.  

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

No. I just made a statement.. Why are you so touchy?

I was also curious how much $$$ he got?  I thought I read it but I forgot..

Although, IMO, of all the Guitar Slingers they could’ve signed that are certainly significantly more famous with far more legendary Hits with far more legendary Bands why they chose him is way beyond my comprehension.. Just an observation & my personal opinion..

On 2/16/2024 at 1:59 PM, Larsongs said:

No. I just made a statement.. Why are you so touchy?

I was also curious how much $$$ he got?  I thought I read it but I forgot..

Although, IMO, of all the Guitar Slingers they could’ve signed that are certainly significantly more famous with far more legendary Hits with far more legendary Bands why they chose him is way beyond my comprehension.. Just an observation & my personal opinion..

They are going to milk Slash for all he is worth until he is done. I remember when Appetite came out, I never actually heard the entire album for about a decade, because they shoved those three songs that they constantly played on the radio down our throat, and I was sick of them. Is it a good album yet? I had just gotten stationed in Great Lakes for ‘A’ school, and you could not escape the song Sweet Child O Mine  it was always on. It’s a really good album, but the next two or three didn’t impress me at all.  Never saw Guns N’ Roses, never wanted to, and I really don’t care about them. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are going to milk Slash for all he is worth until he is done. I remember when Appetite came out, I never actually heard the entire album for about a decade, because they shoved those three songs that they constantly played on the radio down our throat, and I was sick of them. Is it a good album yet? It’s a really good album, but the next two or three didn’t impress me at all.  Never saw Guns N’ Roses, never wanted to, and I really don’t care about them. 

I thought his heyday was done...