Gibson Brands Forums

Is Gibson becoming a luxury brand?

Lars68

There are enough used Gibsons out there to buy.  
it almost seems like everytime a entertainer goes on stage with a Gibson. Gibson is like flies  taking advantage of a entertainers name to put on a guitar to get more money.   At the end of the day , these all just normal standard models . 

The world is made up of those who can afford a Gibson  and those who can’t, if you can’t afford one … you go on YouTube or other platforms and cry about it .

Gibson just made the Bozeman plant larger … so I don’t think they have a demand problem .Last I heard they were heavily back ordered 

Not all content on YouTube is good content .

JC

• Upvote 2

wasnt  it a guy named Henry that bought a dying company for 5 mil and made it productive again ? made some great guitars happen as well, no sticky necks when  he ran the place,..got the AJ going as well...

• Upvote 4

Hasn't Gibson like always been out of reach for quite a big group of people, especially youngsters. T'was a small miracle when I got one at 20. 

Not in touch with the overall electric inventory, but as I recall it they produced some no-so-pricy acoustics over the last 10 years. As Nazareth. 

Well, , , the market. How do you approach it. Where are the lines of style, ethics, greed, class, vulgarity, common sense even wisdom. . 
Basic logic : The more stands the bigger numbers. The broader range the more customers - counts for the vertical scale as well. 

But sure there are traps - and things can backfire. Gibson has a rumour rolling about bad or sloppy quality - THAT's where I would be careful. . 

Just my opinion, I think the LP Std pricing is still reasonable. 
I think the J45 and D28 pricing is reasonable. 
All guitars are getting expensive like everything else. 
Taylor entered the market as reasonably priced acoustics made entirely on cnc machines with bolt on necks. Their manufacturing is the same but their pricing has rocketed too unless you get the Mexican made ones. 

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

Just my opinion, I think the LP Std pricing is still reasonable. 
I think the J45 and D28 pricing is reasonable. 
All guitars are getting expensive like everything else. 
Taylor entered the market as reasonably priced acoustics made entirely on cnc machines with bolt on necks. Their manufacturing is the same but their pricing has rocketed too unless you get the Mexican made ones. 

They are priced not to bad.

Some pretty good points made, and with some afterthought I was overreacting when I saw those PAFs. I guess as a whole Gibson is doing fine and my comment about acoustics was not justified. So with some hindsight and a slight adjustment of the target of my disappointment, selling PAF pickups for $1000 as a collectible, in their own version of a Cali case, offends me.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/1959-Humbucker-Collectors-Edition-Series-1-Exclusive/PU59DCNC2-SET

Lars

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Some pretty good points made, and with some afterthought I was overreacting when I saw those PAFs. I guess as a whole Gibson is doing fine and my comment about acoustics was not justified. So with some hindsight and a slight adjustment of the target of my disappointment, selling PAF pickups for $1000 as a collectible, in their own version of a Cali case, offends me.

Well okay, point taken, , , still the the tiny box shines with humour.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             It's just so cute. . .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Well okay, point taken, , , still the the tiny box shines with humour.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             It's just so cute. . .

I really need the authentic replica, collectible, 1959 switch tip in a Cali case. I would buy it, never ever to be installed on any guitar, but proudly displayed on my mantle piece, next to my Faberge egg 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I really need the authentic replica, collectible, 1959 switch tip in a Cali case. I would buy it, never ever to be installed on any guitar, but proudly displayed on my mantle piece, next to my Faberge egg 😀

Once you get one of those artefacts home nothing will be the same. It's MAJOR purchase. 

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I'm not sure why no one talks about the prices the "other" guys are placing on their upper end line ups.

I'm sure they whine and snivel on those forums, as well.

13 hours ago, jvi said:

wasnt  it a guy named Henry that bought a dying company for 5 mil and made it productive again ? made some great guitars happen as well, no sticky necks when  he ran the place,..got the AJ going as well...

Considering there was not exactly a flood of offers forthcoming when the Rooney Pace Group put Gibson up for sale, if Henry J, had not stepped in the Gibsons you are buying today would more than likely be coming out of China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I never really thought of guitars as "luxury" items.  They were more of a necessity.  Bottom line is there were Gibsons and others I was willing to pay the figure the price tag sported and those I was not.  

Oddly while I have owned two brand spanking new Martins (counting my wife's D12-28) and two Guilds (a D25 and F40) I have never purchased a new Gibson.  That is probably because I did not catch on to Gibsons until later in the mid-1970s when I stumbled across a 1950s LG1 in my favorite little music shop.  If I recall the thing cost me a princely $150.  My girlfriend at the time though claimed it for her own.  Interesting that the same thing happened with my 1960 J200 which my wife let me know was not going to be traded off as I was planning if I intended to stay married.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I'm sure they whine and snivel on those forums, as well.

Maybe that's true Ben, but I don't see it.  Certainly not to the degree that happens with the complaining about Gibson Prices.   Nothing new either.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Considering there was not exactly a flood of offers forthcoming when the Rooney Pace Group put Gibson up for sale, if Henry J, had not stepped in the Gibsons you are buying today would more than likely be coming out of China.

yep,  more than likely   America loves it's cheap labor! 

Just look at what has happened to the IT industry.  Offshoring has destroyed it.   

On 2/11/2024 at 1:44 PM, E-minor7 said:

But sure there are traps - and things can backfire. Gibson has a rumour rolling about bad or sloppy quality - THAT's where I would be careful. . 

This .......

I don't really like new acoustics but being on forums and reading this and that, I have indulged a number of times. So give me a vintage 30s L-00 or such small body guitar size and I have IT!

But recently, events took over my GAS - an email went around work one afternoon - the boss has been in business X amount of years and is giving a bonus to EVERYONE with a bit for every year served! Can't mean me, I never get anything like that in my ...whole life, but YEP, is the reply - I get 18 years worth! 🤪

And I did! A strange amount, great but not enough for a house, car or a horse or like but....Ha Ha enough for a guitar! 🤪🤪🤪

Did I say how much I love my boss and how much I love working there, part time full time on the computer? Did I say I will do anything and never leave, boss? 😁😁😁

Even though you may not even know I exist, here, working online at home?

Anyway the time came to choose a guitar and the first on the list was a vintage L-00 of any description.....well, when did they go up in price so much?

Next was to be something like the Murph Lab 33 L-00 pre-smashed lightly thing.

When did they decide to make that one so much? and double almost by the time it gets here to the Outer Ring......

All too much, don't have enough money. So yes, Gibson seems to have become a guitar with a luxury price - don't know I would call it a luxury brand.

So what did I do?

Of course, my best choice was to look at my best pawn shop site online and there it was - and old classical 1968 Ramirez Estudio! You kidding? Someone must have died to lose that gem, or perhaps hit the rocks, divorced or bust.

Now it is mine - I thought it may need the Doc but not so far!

And I haven't put it down in forever - what TONE! Sorry, Gibson....but I have many of those Gibson acoustics anyway. Now I am a classical guitarist! For a while.......

Aged by......age!:

gA3gYyr.jpg

7mQ3dWi.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Thanks 1

According to an article I read in the Wall Street Journal (4-10-2020) , a new '59 Les Paul went for $450 in '59. Adjusted for inflation, it would be around $4,000 in today's dollars. A new Les Paul Standard goes for $3000, today. So, they are actually more affordable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

This .......

I don't really like new acoustics but being on forums and reading this and that, I have indulged a number of times. So give me a vintage 30s L-00 or such small body guitar size and I have IT!

But recently, events took over my GAS - an email went around work one afternoon - the boss has been in business X amount of years and is giving a bonus to EVERYONE with a bit for every year served! Can't mean me, I never get anything like that in my ...whole life, but YEP, is the reply - I get 18 years worth! 🤪

And I did! A strange amount, great but not enough for a house, car or a horse or like but....Ha Ha enough for a guitar! 🤪🤪🤪

Did I say how much I love my boss and how much I love working there, part time full time on the computer? Did I say I will do anything and never leave, boss? 😁😁😁

Even though you may not even know I exist, here, working online at home?

Anyway the time came to choose a guitar and the first on the list was a vintage L-00 of any description.....well, when did they go up in price so much?

Next was to be something like the Murph Lab 33 L-00 pre-smashed lightly thing.

When did they decide to make that one so much? and double almost by the time it gets here to the Outer Ring......

All too much, don't have enough money. So yes, Gibson seems to have become a guitar with a luxury price - don't know I would call it a luxury brand.

So what did I do?

Of course, my best choice was to look at my best pawn shop site online and there it was - and old classical 1968 Ramirez Estudio! You kidding? Someone must have died to lose that gem, or perhaps hit the rocks, divorced or bust.

Now it is mine - I thought it may need the Doc but not so far!

And I haven't put it down in forever - what TONE! Sorry, Gibson....but I have many of those Gibson acoustics anyway. Now I am a classical guitarist! For a while.......

Aged by......age!:

BluesKing777.

Congrats! For the new guitar, and having a great boss!