Gibson Brands Forums

Flattop

Buc McMaster

I've owned several different Gibson acoustics over the last many years.........two or three Hummingbirds, more than a few J-45s, a J-35, a Dove, J-200........many examples of different models, all purchased new.  All of these have demonstrated varying degrees of soundboard distortion under string tension, none of them suffering any issues from this, all fine players and overall excellent instruments.  The J-185 I recently acquired has without a doubt the flattest top of any of the others, which I find notable since the guitar will be 21 years old next month.  Time and tension can and does distort soundboards, some to the point of requiring some kind of remedy to keep them serviceable.  But decades of string tension have not moved the top of this 185...........the flattest flattop I've ever owned.

6c8LXZh.jpg

(That works great!  Thank you, sir!)

Edited by Buc McMaster

25 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I just right click the image. Open it in another tab. Then copy the url and plug it into "insert image from url". Sounds harder than it is.6c8LXZh.jpeg

Hey is that the same guitar form the other thread with the fan blade in it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Wasn't it Norman Blake who once said never trust a guitar without a belly?  If so, you might want to take this up with him.

I agree.   All mine have s belly of sorts.  except the J185 and a New er J45 are flat  

To be honest  they sound kinda flat.  

Gibson tops and backs are almost never flat. They are radiused, usually 28' for the tops and 18' (I think--some one fact check me) for the backs. This has been more or less true since the days of Orville hisself.  A straight edge should always rock when put on either the front or back. But sunken or bellied areas are concerning, of course 

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

8 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Gibson tops and backs are almost never flat. They are radiused, usually 28' for the tops and 18' (I think--some one fact check me) for the backs. This has been more or less true since the days of Orville hisself.  A straight edge should always rock when put on either the front or back. But sunken or bellied areas are concerning, of course 

Red 333

I believe in lutherie it is referred to as a “loaded” top — a curvature is built into the top. At least that’s what they told me at St. Paul Guitar Repair, and they would certainly know. I’ve noticed it on my Gibsons.

Edited by dhanners623

8 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Red 333

Neither are Martin's. That is why I suggested put a straight edge on your guitar and see. That hump is supposed to be there. 

For more information, watch the Gibson TV videos - The Process. They mention all Gibsons are not actually flat and show the body build! Even if the world is. NO, I said that, not Gibson.

Now more FYI.....Bill Collings truly believed you got a different guitar sound with flat back and flat tops, so the first Waterloo WL-14 is built flat. There you go, no idea about the other Waterloo models.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Flat Tops are flatter than Arch Tops . . . but still not flat.

10CC bought a flat guitar tutor. Crafty music reference lyrics.

I bought a flat
Diminished responsibility
You're de ninth person to see
To be suspended in a seventh
Major catastrophe
It's a minor point but gee
Augmented by the sharpness of your
See what I'm going through
Ay to be with you
In a flat by the sea

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes, I understand that soundboards are built with a radius and are not in the truest sense 'flat'...........I'm saying the radius on this one is uniform across the top without localized distortion around the bridge.  Put a strong glare on the top of your guitar and see how much distortion there is around the bridge, particularly at the ends of the bridge.............this is what I mean.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

For more information, watch the Gibson TV videos - The Process. They mention all Gibsons are not actually flat and show the body build! Even if the world is. NO, I said that, not Gibson.

Now more FYI.....Bill Collings truly believed you got a different guitar sound with flat back and flat tops, so the first Waterloo WL-14 is built flat. There you go, no idea about the other Waterloo models.

BluesKing777.

I have read that some of the Kalamazoo branded guitars and other lower cost models that Gibson built for other brands (which the Waterloo models are inspired by) were not radiused and were truly flat, but I don't have enough experience with them personally to know for sure. 

Red 333

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Neither are Martin's. That is why I suggested put a straight edge on your guitar and see. That hump is supposed to be there. 

Yes. Martin has used a gentler radius throughout the years, between 40' and 52'. I think this depends on the model, but I'm not a Martin expert so I don't know for sure. I believe all steel string guitars have radiused tops.

Red 333

1 minute ago, Red 333 said:

Yes. Martin has used a gentler radius throughout the years, between 40' and 52'. I think this depends on the model, but I'm not a Martin expert so I don't know for sure. I believe all steel string guitars have radiused tops.

Red 333

Every M, I ever owned had a top that was not flat. 

The WW1 Luftwaffe-theme on the bridge is underlined by the propeller here. How about a Red Baron decal. 

Glad another good guitar was found. U can return to ukes anytime. . . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Everybody knows a uke is not a "real" musical instrument.

It's more of a toy.

Nope. A musical instrument is a device created or adapted to make musical sounds.

By definition it is one and not a toy.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nope. A musical instrument is a device created or adapted to make musical sounds.

By definition it is one and not a toy.

Using your definition, a plastic stringed Micky Mouse guitar would be a musical instrument.

Oh wait...

I said a REAL musical instrument...

5 minutes ago, Murph said:

Using your definition, a plastic stringed Micky Mouse guitar would be a musical instrument.

Oh wait...

I said a REAL musical instrument...

Does it make musical sound? Why does it have to be made by Gibson to be real?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper