Gibson Brands Forums

Nut material used in 2011 Les Paul Junior

Riptide

I have a 2011 Les Paul Junior that Gibson says has a Corian nut, however my luthier is adamant the nut is bone.

Any info on how to determine if my specific nut is bone is much appreciated as well as any general info on the history of Gibson nut material in the 2008-2012 Les Paul Juniors.

Thanks in advance!

nut.jpg

• Thanks 1

Those little chipped areas where the slots are, he may be right.  No expert here, but I am not at all sure that Corian would erode and chip away like that.

Edited by kidblast

From my own other Gibsons from the same era...I always thought it was corian. 

Yours looks like it too. 

It can become brittle sometimes too.

Bone has more of a sheen to it. 

Gibson maybe occasionally uses bone nuts on made 2 measure guitars or something where the customer specs that but it’s not a normal thing to come on any production model. In this case unless the guitar has been modified it’d be reasonable to just assume it’s not a bone nut

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 9:26 PM, Riptide said:

I have a 2011 Les Paul Junior that Gibson says has a Corian nut, however my luthier is adamant the nut is bone.

Any info on how to determine if my specific nut is bone is much appreciated as well as any general info on the history of Gibson nut material in the 2008-2012 Les Paul Juniors.

Thanks in advance!

nut.jpg

This nut is stock, it' s made of Corian.

Best nut is made with Bone, Graph Tech TusqXL nut are very good too, I have an adjustable  Graph Tech TusqXL nut on my '15 Gibson SG, very low action and many good vibrations.

sg_st266.jpg

Edited by Strong Heavy

22 hours ago, Strong Heavy said:

This nut is stock, it' s made of Corian.

Best nut is made with Bone, Graph Tech TusqXL nut are very good too, I have an adjustable  Graph Tech TusqXL nut on my '15 Gibson SG, very low action and many good vibrations.

sg_st266.jpg

2015 was a weird year for Gibson. Hey can someone get  my 3 year old scribble on the headstock, the guitar players are gonna eat it up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I can tell by looking at it that it isn't bone. To tell if something is bone, take a pin and heat it red-hot. Then touch it to the material. If it smells like burnt hair then it's bone. Otherwise it's not. For those who are not as mentally-endowed as most, hold the pin with pliers while performing this technique.

• Haha 1