Gibson Brands Forums

Pick of choice? check these.

Rockin365

Ive allways used cheap plastic picks until now,

I was looking around for something with a nice bright sound

and came across Brossard picks.

I am in no way affiliated with them i just ordered a selection.

I chose the four players pack and a palm wood single pick.

They turned up rapidly to the uk from the usa

they are excellent.

groovy_palm__73218_thumb.jpg

b4s__80543_thumb.jpg

Heres a link to brossards site..

http://www.brossardpicks.com/shop/

I've seen some pretty expensive picks lately -- Blue Chip, Red Bear (or something like that). Never heard of Brossard, personally ('cept for Nicole Brossard, a poet from Quebec). I think the BC's are like $35. p/pick!

I used plain ol' Fender mediums.

Typically I use Fender Medium pics, but lately I've heard some good things about a new brand. They are Cheney Pics. They are quite pricey, but from what I hear quite good at the biting piercing sound one needs in today's rock. These harvested freshly cuspids rapidly grow back so the Cheney beast is not adversely effected by the harvest. The Cheney beast experiences only temporary pain and thus this harvest is quite withing the bounds of human treatment of animals.

big-dick-cheney.jpg

Tortex or Fender Heavy for me. Very rarely will I switch to a Fender Light on an acoustic (very noticeable change in tone, it's nice for just playing chords). But really, a pic is a pic most of the time. I'll use anything from a coin to a broken off piece of a popsicle stick.

Typically I use Fender Medium pics' date=' but lately I've heard some good things about a new brand. They are Cheney Pics. They are quite pricey, but from what I hear quite good at the biting piercing sound one needs in today's rock. These harvested freshly cuspids rapidly grow back so the Cheney beast is not adversely effected by the harvest. The Cheney beast experiences only temporary pain and thus this harvest is quite withing the bounds of human treatment of animals.

[img']http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/homz/big-****-cheney.jpg[/img]

Must even a simple pick thread be turned into a political bashing of some sort?

I tried a couple Stone and Wood picks, they're great if you like Heavy picks. I love them on my Mandolin.

But for Guitar I always come to back to Fender Mediums. They're slippery enough tuck into my Palm when I don't want it and I like the tone Celuloid gives. Tortex seems to have a more natural sound than celluloid but there's too much Grip for me.

Typically I use Fender Medium pics' date=' but lately I've heard some good things about a new brand. They are Cheney Pics. They are quite pricey, but from what I hear quite good at the biting piercing sound one needs in today's rock. These harvested freshly cuspids rapidly grow back so the Cheney beast is not adversely effected by the harvest. The Cheney beast experiences only temporary pain and thus this harvest is quite withing the bounds of human treatment of animals.

[img']http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/homz/big-****-cheney.jpg[/img]

Cheney is Moby **** to Homz' Capt. Ahab and he just can't let it go.

After I took a hiatus of some years on guitar, when I got back to picking I went pretty much totally back to thumb and fingers only.

I haven't had people to play bluegrass with... most picking was solo until a cupla months ago so...

Now even for rock, blues, jazz, country... it's still the thumb and fingers only. I'll qualify that. I did one night with a bass and wished I'd had a flatpick 'cuz my fingers weren't used to the bass.

When I did a lot of old time pickin' - bluegrass and pre bluegrass - I used usually a Fender medium or some nylon mediums I haven't seen in 30 years. Never broke. You could lose them, but not break them.

And when I did a lot of wilder 12-string picking (a little 5-string banjo, too), I used a sharp plastic thumb and three metal fingerpicks.

Mandolin... a medium Fender works as well as anything. And I'd use about anything too on the mandolin.

Hmmmmm.

Holy something or another on that "pesopick."

I forgot to mention that one pick I always wanted to find another of was a heavy felt jobbie, didn't bend, that apparently was used by some jazz guys 40 years ago. I tried one once, but it was the wrong time...

I always wanted to check these out...

After playing for a few hrs yesterday the brossard pics are every bit as good as i thought when i opened them.

The Ebony bone and horn picks from the four players picks are excellent for speed picking,

very near frictionless feel, very little marking after playing 'hardly noticable', the rosewood and palm picks,

are both nice to play with but will wear out quicker as distinct playing wear can be seen after an hr or so playing.

These picks from rocketmans link look to be of a similar nature 'if not material' and probally play similarly.

they gotta be fairly good if Vai n Satch use em lol :-)

PESOPICKS:-

SOME OF THE OTHER WELL KNOWN MUSICIANS THAT OWN OR USE OUR "PESOPICKS" INCLUDE:

" STEVE VAI ", NEED WE SAY MORE

" JOE SATRIANI " YES, THE SATCH IS ALSO A PROUD OWNER OF A "PESOPICK"

I checked out the Brossard web site and ended up purchasing 10 picks from them. They came today! Absolutely amazing picks. I got the groove picks, easy to hold on to, amazing tone, and they are really a wor of art. You won't loose these they are to good looking!!!!! ;)

I checked out the Brossard web site and ended up purchasing 10 picks from them. They came today! Absolutely amazing picks. I got the groove picks' date=' easy to hold on to, amazing tone, and they are really a wor of art. You won't loose these they are to good looking!!!!! =D> [/quote']

They are great arn't they.

I think i could be purchasing more in the future =D>)

I like the figured abalone ones.

Back in the 70's I used those huge Dorito's looking picks until I came across these

p7158.jpg

But I am kinda weird because I rotate the pick so I am using the long side to play.

OMG, same pick, same technique. That's exactly what I do. I spin them around and hold them lengthwise. I thought I was the only one.

Archived