Gibson Brands Forums

Week Old Songwriter Needs Fixin

Took it out of the case to play and heard something heavy rattling around. A flashlight revealed the battery box had come loose. And not just loose, but tangled. After unstringing it took awhile to untangle the wires. Found out the double sided Velcro was not even sticky. Down to the hardware store for some double sided tape. Relocated the battery box to an easier access location. Restring and back playing. Disappointed 3k guitar needed fixin after one week.  Thankful it was something I could fix. . .WITH PATIENCE. I may have developed some new swear words. 
Thanks, Gibson.

• Like 2

Dennis,

Putting the case of a new guitar having a problem it shouldn't have aside, from personal experience I can assure you that the adhesive used on Velcro is not strong enough to stand up to the pull required to unfasten it, and will fail every time you pull the battery box out. 

I suggest you speak to a Luthier for a better adhesive alternative that won't affect the sound.

RBSinTo

Thank God it's nothing serious.👍

I still don't know why don't they make these systems use rechargable Li-ion batteries, so there would be no need for removal. (Let's hope LRBaggs guys see this great idea  and get to work!)

Mine have never done that. Actually the 2003 J-45 has a bracket/clip thing. Maybe it's screwed in? My J-15 has the velcro, but it's never fell off. My batteries are pretty old anyhow, I never/rarely use the electronics, I mic mine.

If you could fit a T-50 stapler into the soundhole, you could staple through the velcro, through the body side, and just bend the staples over on the outside.

That would hold it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Mine have never done that. Actually the 2003 J-45 has a bracket/clip thing. Maybe it's screwed in? My J-15 has the velcro, but it's never fell off. My batteries are pretty old anyhow, I never/rarely use the electronics, I mic mine.

If you could fit a T-50 stapler into the soundhole, you could staple through the velcro, through the body side, and just bend the staples over on the outside.

That would hold it.

Murph,

If the T-50 stapler doesn't fit through the sound hole, perhaps a pop-rivet gun might.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dennis96013 said:

Took it out of the case to play and heard something heavy rattling around. A flashlight revealed the battery box had come loose. And not just loose, but tangled. After unstringing it took awhile to untangle the wires. Found out the double sided Velcro was not even sticky. Down to the hardware store for some double sided tape. Relocated the battery box to an easier access location. Restring and back playing. Disappointed 3k guitar needed fixin after one week.  Thankful it was something I could fix. . .WITH PATIENCE. I may have developed some new swear words. 
Thanks, Gibson.

I had same issue with the mic in my J-50.   The sticky part of the Velcro didn't hold to the wood.   The Velcro part was fine.

I had some real good double sided tape in the garage, so I cut a small square out and reattached the mic....maybe 3 years ago.... still holding fine.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

lol Murph please tell me you’re being sarcastic about the stapler suggestion 

Yes.

It was a joke.

I posted that before I knew about the penalty points.

I'm sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only have 1 of those - velcro attached battery holder - and it's never fallen out. Knock on wood.  (Koa for you cork sniffers..)   I'm guessing if the velcro adhesive is applied before the wood is wiped down real well, there will be a minute amount of  dust - including sawdust - that'll affect the attachment.  So, I'd be sure to wipe the wood off really well before trying to re-attach adhesive tape.   2nd point -  I've found Gorilla Duct tape  is really, REALLY strong.  If you can figure out a way to double it up -  I'd bet you dollars to donuts, it'd be permanent under normal operating conditions.  But, since you've already reported fixing the problem.  This suggestion is a (half) day late and a dollar short.  Dollar not being worth more than 75 cents now.     

In WallyWorld yesterday - to purchase ONE  9v RayoVac battery - price?   $6.74!!!

Edited by fortyearspickn

4 hours ago, Murph said:

That would hold it.

I would take a look at your battery connections and see if they’re corroding because once a batteries in there for a long time it gets yucky.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Murph,

If the T-50 stapler doesn't fit through the sound hole, perhaps a pop-rivet gun might.

RBSinTo

It obviously needs to be welded I’m place. That or nuclear fusion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

There is Velcro and then there is industrial strength Velcro.  The latter is very hard to separate and it seems like they generally go with some stronger adhesive. 

ghost_of_fl,

I usually buy my Velcro from a fabric/ sewing supply, so I doubt that it is industrial strength.

I applied the adhesive-backed stuff I had to the flaps of a pouch in my hockey bag where I keep my supplies (tape, laces, etc,), and found very quickly that every time I opened the pouch, the Velco came off the two sides.

In the end, I sewed both ends of each piece to the flaps and the problem was solved.

Obviously won't work in a guitar, where a stronger adhesive for the Velcro is required.

RBSinTo

4 hours ago, Dennis96013 said:

Didn’t realize I’d create such a stir with this post, but, now that I have it secured I won’t have to replace the battery for 1000 hours

You still have to inspect that battery for possible leaks, like every 3 months.👍