Gibson Brands Forums

Should I be worried that the Music Zoo hasn't heard back from the Gibson CS regarding my M2M order?

1 hour ago, Jericho-79 said:

OP guys.

Thank you for all your advice.

So I should NOT start looking at Reverb for what I'm looking for?

Someone at Reddit just showed me a Reverb listing for a LP Custom with a purple sparkle finish.🤭

But I should just have more patience and let the Music Zoo do their thing?

I guess that depends on how much your M2M will end up costing, vs. one on Reverb, and what you really want, need, and how much or little you want to spend. At the end of the day it’s not my $, it’s yours.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

At the end of the day it’s not my $, it’s yours.

Unless you're married and have an account with the IRS.

Marriage Vows:   "What's yours in mine. What's mine is mine".    

IRS Tax Laws:    "We'll tax you on your pay and tips.  We'll tax you on anything you make if you invest it, or just put it in the banks and get 2% interest.  We'll tax you again on it if you spend it. We'll tax you for having a house to live in.  For your car every year.  If you give your money to your kids. And tax you on what's left of your 'estate' when you die. Have a nice day.  Sincerely, your friendly 80,000 armed IRS Agents "

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jericho-79 said:

OP guys.

Someone at Reddit just showed me a Reverb listing for a LP Custom with a purple sparkle finish.🤭

I saw that listing too and for moment wondered if your guitar got bogarted out from under you…. But figured I was just being paranoid and that purple sparkle was  thing folks are doing these days 🤨

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

IRS Tax Laws:    "We'll tax you on your pay and tips.  We'll tax you on anything you make if you invest it, or just put it in the banks and get 2% interest.  We'll tax you again on it if you spend it. We'll tax you for having a house to live in.  For your car every year.  If you give your money to your kids. And tax you on what's left of your 'estate' when you die. Have a nice day.  Sincerely, your friendly 80,000 armed IRS Agents "

Good thing you're not in charge of the accounting department.

IRS taxes your income.  They don't tax you when you spend your money.  They don't tax your house.  They don't tax your car.  They're just the IRS.  What are you going to do about it?

If this was the real world, you'd be fired before lunch.  No way you have an MBA. No way.  Who has an MBA and says that the IRS taxes your car?  Nobody.  🤪  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

BBP - You're right.  I stand corrected.  I slipped up when I suggested it was the IRS that did all that. Really a half dozen different taxing authorities.  School Districts, Health Districts,  state income tax, state sales tax,  town dog catcher ....  I weary.      (I also took liberty with the marriage vows thing to make a point.)  

Glad to see my MBA is still a burr under your saddle blanket though.   Happy Fathers' Day ! 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yes, it's called "income tax", so yeah, pay and tips.  Investments are subject to most capital gains thresholds and are therefore taxed "better" than income.  If you are getting 2% and netting enough to pay taxes on that 2% you can well afford it Mr Musk.  I don't know what federal tax there is when you spend money.  The feds actually still allow just a small advantage in home ownership, so I can't quite see a net negative there.  I don't know of any fed taxes on a car every year.  Don't give your money to your kids, buy life insurance that specifically names them as beneficiary(ies).  That's estate planning 101, no taxes on life insurance proceeds.  Federal estate taxes START at over 13.6 million, so there is that, the few states that still tax estates start considerably lower and take considerably more.

Maybe you should look at what it is that makes your state, even without a personal income tax, one of the least tax friendly states in the country and stop just parroting  GUMMINT BAD stuff from the 30's.

rct

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

But now we are represented. Before the Revolutionary War we were not. Now it’s supposed to be fair, but no so much.

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

I saw that listing too and for moment wondered if your guitar got bogarted out from under you…. But figured I was just being paranoid and that purple sparkle was  thing folks are doing these days 🤨

What other LP would Taylor Swift play? A boring non sparkly one? It goes with her stage outfit.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What other LP would Taylor Swift play? A boring non sparkly one? It goes with her stage outfit.

I don’t know anything about TS or what guitars she plays… not sure how it is relevant or what that has to do with whether MZ sold the poor OPs special order out from underneath him. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

Yes, it's called "income tax", so yeah, pay and tips.  Investments are subject to most capital gains thresholds and are therefore taxed "better" than income.  If you are getting 2% and netting enough to pay taxes on that 2% you can well afford it Mr Musk.  I don't know what federal tax there is when you spend money.  The feds actually still allow just a small advantage in home ownership, so I can't quite see a net negative there.  I don't know of any fed taxes on a car every year.  Don't give your money to your kids, buy life insurance that specifically names them as beneficiary(ies).  That's estate planning 101, no taxes on life insurance proceeds.  Federal estate taxes START at over 13.6 million, so there is that, the few states that still tax estates start considerably lower and take considerably more.

Maybe you should look at what it is that makes your state, even without a personal income tax, one of the least tax friendly states in the country and stop just parroting  GUMMINT BAD stuff from the 30's.

rct

Huzzah!

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I don’t know anything about TS or what guitars she plays… not sure how it is relevant or what that has to do with whether MZ sold the poor OPs special order out from underneath him. 

First off all none of us on this forum are making his guitar. He needs to call who he placed the order with and have them contact Gibson. And he did that. Now he has to wait and hear back the status. We have done all we can do here, which is nothing but offer useless advice. Oh he saw one on Reverb.

22 hours ago, Jericho-79 said:

OP guys.

Okay, after that comedic interlude, let’s get back to your question. I was thinking you should get the serial number off the one on Reverb. If it’s a 2023, call Gibson customer service tomorrow.  They can tell you who the guitar was originally shipped to.  If it turns out to be MZ, and since you placed your order, then there is a good chance MZ messed up your order, and you’ll have some leverage.  Be polite but firm.  Give MZ  a chance to offer some consideration on the price for the royal screw-up, exp: waiving the SO charge if there is one, or a good percentage off the price.  Otherwise, let them know you are cancelling your order with a full refund of your deposit.  You’ll have start over with another place or bite on the Reverb one. 

Edited by PrairieDog

30 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, after that comedic interlude, let’s get back to your question. I was thinking you should get the serial number off the one on Reverb. If it’s a 2023, call Gibson customer service tomorrow.  They can tell you who the guitar was originally shipped to.  If it turns out to be MZ, and since you placed your order, then there is a good chance MZ messed up your order, and you’ll have some leverage.  Be polite but firm.  Give MZ  a chance to offer some consideration on the price for the royal screw-up, exp: waiving the SO charge if there is one, or a good percentage off the price.  Otherwise, let them know you are cancelling your order with a full refund of your deposit.  You’ll have start over with another place or bite on the Reverb one. 

The chances Gibson mailed the M2M guitar to the guy on Verb who is selling it is highly unlikely. It could happen, but I doubt it. Every year Gibson comes out with strange and exotic colors. Question to the OP so I don’t have to go back and read every post. Is the guitar you ordered in sparkly purple the only custom thing you wanted done to it? Other than that it’s is a ____________ model LP?

There is this it’s a 2022. It’s sparkly purple.

https://reverb.com/item/82832812-minty-2022-gibson-les-paul-custom-made-2-measure-purple-sparkle-w-ebony-board-coa-ohsc

And this. It’s not sparkly purple, but it is 2023. And it’s purple.

https://reverb.com/item/78243712-purple-paul-m2m-2023-gibson-custom-shop-59-les-paul-standard-reissue-tom-murphy-lab-ultra-light-aged-trans-transparent-violet-widow-burst-made-to-measure-hand-selected-flame-figured-top-custombuckers-abr-1-true-historic-plastics-special-r9-1959-59

I think the 2023 was not mailed to the Verb seller and Gibson is still growing the trees to make the neck and body. Keep waiting.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The chances Gibson mailed the M2M guitar to the guy on Verb who is selling it is highly unlikely. It could happen, but I doubt it. Every year Gibson comes out with strange and exotic colors. Question to the OP so I don’t have to go back and read every post. Is the guitar you ordered in sparkly purple the only custom thing you wanted done to it? Other than that it’s is a ____________ model LP?

I never said it was sent directly to the guy on Reverb? I was just speculating it could have gotten shipped to MZ and they missed that it was for a special order, so put it on the floor and it got sold it to someone else, who is now selling it on Reverb.  Ever work in retail?  That kind of mistake can happen, unfortunately.  But if the Reverb one is 2022 then it’s moot, isn’t it.  

I just hope the guy gets his guitar soon.  

Edited by PrairieDog

I don’t quite get why people are ordering M2Ms, waiting a year or whatever to get them, and then sticking them on Reverb [confused]  …are the Reverb prices inflated versus the M2M cost? If so and there is a flipping thing going on then any wonder the lead times are so long. 

Were it me, I’d be asking/telling the dealer to get a confirmation from CS as to where my order was in the queue and the latest shipment estimate date, and that I’ll be back next week to find out as I don’t want to cancel the order but need to know….etc. 

j.mascis would rock that purple sparkly [thumbup] 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I never said it was sent directly to the guy on Reverb? I was just speculating it could have gotten shipped to MZ and they missed that it was for a special order, so put it on the floor and it got sold it to someone else, who is now selling it on Reverb.  Ever work in retail?  That kind of mistake can happen, unfortunately.  But if the Reverb one is 2022 then it’s moot, isn’t it.  

I just hope the guy gets his guitar soon.  

No I was in the military for 23 years, then worked for the railroad, NASA, a music theater called the Carolina Opry, and as a Navy contractor. I was a maintenance electrician. Closest I got to retail was working in produce at a grocery store. Does that count? We don’t ship to many tomatoes by mail from there.

Here is a M2M question. When it’s finished, does it ship to the actual buyer, or to the store the order was placed, and then the buyer. Shipping it twice increased it being damaged 2 times instead of 1. Just asking.

35 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

j.mascis would rock that purple sparkly [thumbup] 

And play it loud. Saw Dino Jr. at Lollapaloza. Alice In Chains and Primus were on the bill too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No I was in the military for 23 years, then worked for the railroad, NASA, a music theater called the Carolina Opry, and as a Navy contractor. I was a maintenance electrician. Closest I got to retail was working in produce at a grocery store. Does that count? We don’t ship to many tomatoes by mail from there.

Do you have a report card from a prominent university? 

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Just a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts. I got it to put in my resume. It’s from Excelsior College. Not like from Yale or Harvard or one of those big fancy schools.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Gibson did Customs , custom lites, standards studios with purple finishes in the past  , its nothing new.  

Les Pauls are heavy planks ,  and for some reason, they just about look all the same. 😁

Edited by slimt

15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I also have an Associate Of Arts Degree from The University  Of Phoenix. So I guess I have 2 degrees. I must be be smart, but I don’t have an MBA. Is there such a thing as a BBA or ABA? I’ve only heard of MBA’s.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a M2M question. When it’s finished, does it ship to the actual buyer, or to the store the order was placed, and then the buyer. Shipping it twice increased it being damaged 2 times instead of 1. Just asking.

To the store. They should do an inspection and set it up per your request. I’ve even had some that added a few extras. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

To the store. They should do an inspection and set it up per your request. I’ve even had some that added a few extras. 

So pay 3k for a Gibson from GC and no set up. Order a M2M from MZ for 6k and you get it set up. Seems about right.