Gibson Brands Forums

The "new" truck.... finally

ksdaddy

I started saving money a little over a year ago for a new or late model truck.  I retired in 2022 but went back to my old job two days a week and squirreled away that paycheck, plus added some here and there. I ended up with $25,000 to put towards "something". I knew 25k wouldn't cover it but I would be financing a lot lower dollar amount. I researched ad nauseum, scoured the local dealers, plus autotrader, cars. com, all of them. I saw what I saw, I talked to mechanics, I saw which ones were getting traded in.... and which ones people were keeping. I decided my smartest move was a used Tundra. Everyone warned me about the horrific gas mileage but I couldn't find one person that complained about the quality or dependability. Okay, Tundra it is. I tried a monster 2019 4 door TRD off road omigod thing, I think it should have said Kenworth across the front. I then found a more plain 2019 quad cab with 62k miles. The price was not good, $32,995, but it's a supply and demand thing. I'm still not cleared to drive after the heart attack but my wife drove me around in it for a while. It was flawless. It also left me empty. Void. Blank. Comatose. Catatonic.  I stared out the window all the way home. Every late model truck I saw on the road, I felt almost ill. This isn't what I want.

I realized I'm not going to be here forever. Maybe my odds are better after the bypass, but it still dawned on me that I was chasing what other people thought I should be chasing. A nice newer truck so I can....be...like...everyone...else......

No.

A friend had this truck and I never thought he'd part with it. But he hasn't used it much for a couple years and he also just dropped 18K on a used Harley.

$25k earmarked, but instead I spent $3500. 1984 Ford XL, 300 six cylinder, 3 speed manual with overdrive on the floor, 4 wheel drive, 84,500 original miles.

This is what I wanted and this is what I got. I recognize the engine when I open the hood, I can fix anything on it, and it does not "throw codes", go into limp mode, scream about ABS, traction control, Stabiltrac, "service engine soon". The dimmer switch is on the floor. It has a carburetor. There are rubber mats on the floor. The windows crank up and down.

If I die tomorrow, I will go out smiling, knowing I did what was right for me and not someone else.

truck.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice catch.  I had an ‘85 F-150 extended cab that I bought new.  Had the 300 6 cylinder with the “big stick” 4 speed manual transmission.  Had it for about 6 years and only sold it because of a change in the family driving situation and had to get a different vehicle.   Very reliable.  The only problem (multiple times) was the A/C evaporator cores were terrible and had to be replaced 3 times in 6 years.

I'm with you..... new cars leave me cold.

Both my vehicles are 20 years old, and my motor home a year older.

I wouldn't be afraid to take any of them anywhere... the CR-V has only 82K miles, but the Ranger has 220K miles.

The motor home has even fewer miles than the Honda.....but it's not used much these days.

Vehicles these days seem to have to have no 'soul'.

I don't know about you.....but I PREFER my old pickup to not be "perfect".... not afraid to park it anywhere.

CONGRATZ on your new truck.

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 2

Cool old Truck. I used to have a Truck like that but a Fleetside. There’s no end to what you can do to it. Or do nothing. It’s all good!

I’ve always liked Trucks. Been driving them most of my life.. Well since I was 9 driving my Grandpa’s 3 speed floor shift 1950 Ford pickup on his farm & country Roads in Mio, Michigan.

I’ve had Datsuns, Toyotas, Fords & Chevy’s. I’m older now & want Performance, Dependability, Safety, Comfort & a little Luxury.

I bought a new 2021 Chev Crew Cab Silverado. 5.3 V-8. Silver with Black Leather, Custom Wheels, Power everything, Sirius Radio & Apple Car Play. It’s my Luxury Ride.

I’ll probably keep it to til the haul me away.

Every man needs a Truck.

Congrats & enjoy

• Like 1

This one is the most recent "Betsy".

In 1968 my father bought a 1960 Ford 3/4 ton truck from S. W. Collins Co in my hometown. They are a lumber company slash hardware store, owned by Senator Susan Collins' family. (My father used to stand downtown on Saturday afternoons with Susan's father and drink whisky that was hidden in their long overcoats lol). Dad named the truck "Betsy". Red, plain Jane, rubber mat, four speed.... you get it.

In 1972 he bought a 1971 F-250, red, rubber mats, four speed... that was also Betsy.

In 1993 my work truck was a 1986 red F-150 with rubber mats, 3 speed on the column....

at my next job I had a 1984 red F-350 crew cab with 460 and a 4 speed.... and rubber mats.

In 1995 I bought a red 1982 F-150, 300-6, four speed on the floor... rubber mats.....

All Betsys.

I took the 1982 off the road in 2016 when it hit 200,000 miles. I still own it, it still runs, but the frame is rotten beyond rotten. I have another rear section of frame and I do plan on cutting and welding the new section on. Whether or not she ever goes back on the road is another thing, but she will at least have a job as my yard b****, hauling branches, serving as a staging, hauling rocks and dirt.

An oft heard expression of mine, heard loudly every time a newer vehicle acts up.... "BETSY DON'T THROW NO CODES!"

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2024 at 6:21 PM, ksdaddy said:

I started saving money a little over a year ago for a new or late model truck.  I retired in 2022 but went back to my old job two days a week and squirreled away that paycheck, plus added some here and there. I ended up with $25,000 to put towards "something". I knew 25k wouldn't cover it but I would be financing a lot lower dollar amount. I researched ad nauseum, scoured the local dealers, plus autotrader, cars. com, all of them. I saw what I saw, I talked to mechanics, I saw which ones were getting traded in.... and which ones people were keeping. I decided my smartest move was a used Tundra. Everyone warned me about the horrific gas mileage but I couldn't find one person that complained about the quality or dependability. Okay, Tundra it is. I tried a monster 2019 4 door TRD off road omigod thing, I think it should have said Kenworth across the front. I then found a more plain 2019 quad cab with 62k miles. The price was not good, $32,995, but it's a supply and demand thing. I'm still not cleared to drive after the heart attack but my wife drove me around in it for a while. It was flawless. It also left me empty. Void. Blank. Comatose. Catatonic.  I stared out the window all the way home. Every late model truck I saw on the road, I felt almost ill. This isn't what I want.

I realized I'm not going to be here forever. Maybe my odds are better after the bypass, but it still dawned on me that I was chasing what other people thought I should be chasing. A nice newer truck so I can....be...like...everyone...else......

No.

A friend had this truck and I never thought he'd part with it. But he hasn't used it much for a couple years and he also just dropped 18K on a used Harley.

$25k earmarked, but instead I spent $3500. 1984 Ford XL, 300 six cylinder, 3 speed manual with overdrive on the floor, 4 wheel drive, 84,500 original miles.

This is what I wanted and this is what I got. I recognize the engine when I open the hood, I can fix anything on it, and it does not "throw codes", go into limp mode, scream about ABS, traction control, Stabiltrac, "service engine soon". The dimmer switch is on the floor. It has a carburetor. There are rubber mats on the floor. The windows crank up and down.

If I die tomorrow, I will go out smiling, knowing I did what was right for me and not someone else.

truck.jpg

great truck. V6 or Straight 6 ?  you can use it for what it's intended for without fear of messing up the paint. it's taken years to acquire that "patina" 

20 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Straight six. I know some 80s Fords had V-6s but I haven't had any experience with them. My 1982 (which is basically rolling junk) has a 300-6, my 1990 F-150 plow truck has a 300-6 and my 'new' truck has one too!

300.webp

That meme is spot on.  A straight 6 runs forever.  Great purchase 

• Like 1