Gibson Brands Forums

Oh no, an actual set neck Epi SG Junior

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2024 at 5:10 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I wonder why they made the pickguard the wrong shape??

On 7/28/2024 at 5:47 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

To make it more accurately wrong?

Hmm it looks pretty similar to this 2018 SG JR..    The Gibson SG Junior pickgard shape has morphed a bit over the years.

DSC_7404__90793.1717701544.jpg?c=2

Some photo angle distortion maybe

Z6TlGZb.jpg

I just ordered this Epiphone SG Junior from Music Zoo, I will let you know how I goes.... 🙂

This is the YungBlud signature limited edition,  I don’t know him but after seeing a few clips I don’t care to. Don’t know why he would deserve to sign an SG Junior.  

Right now this is the only  SG Junior Gibson has in production. It was 599 with free shipping and a custom hard case.

I think I am going to be very happy with it.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmm it looks pretty similar to this 2018 SG JR..    The Gibson SG Junior pickgard shape has morphed a bit over the years.

DSC_7404__90793.1717701544.jpg?c=2

Some photo angle distortion maybe

Z6TlGZb.jpg

I just ordered this Epiphone SG Junior from Music Zoo, I will let you know how I goes.... 🙂

This is the YungBlud signature limited edition,  I don’t know him but after seeing a few clips I don’t care to. Don’t know why he would deserve to sign an SG Junior.  

Right now this is the only  SG Junior Gibson has in production. It was 599 with free shipping and a custom hard case.

I think I am going to be very happy with it.

I love signature guitar from artists I have no clue who they are. If you spell your name like that chances are you are for the 25 and younger crowd. He’s probably almost as good as B J Armstrong as a guitarist.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2024 at 8:00 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love signature guitar from artists I have no clue who they are. If you spell your name like that chances are you are for the 25 and younger crowd. He’s probably almost as good as B J Armstrong as a guitarist.

I think sig’s should got to better known artists. Particularly for an SG Junior which is a very special guitar.

8 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I think sig’s should got to better known artists. Particularly for an SG Junior which is a very special guitar.

BB King, SRV, Page, Hendrix, Zappa - yes.

YungBlud - Who?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

BB King, SRV, Page, Hendrix, Zappa - yes.

YungBlud - Who?

I really don't know much about him. The reviews on the Epi SG Junior are really good, I will find out for sure Monday.

Posted (edited)

My Epi SG Junior came in this afternoon shipped in its case, Its beautiful, wasn't set up at all though. Had to tighten the strings, adjust the truss, bridge height, set the intonation The graph tech nut Is good,  medium jumbo frets are good with no burs on the edge, the laurel fingerboard is dry, the slimtaper C feels very good, does have a bit of neck dive but the SG Junior is very light. The case is very nice with its hot pink interior.

It looks exactly like the the stock photos.

Thats all I have learned so far, it plays  and sounds very good on my amp and will be even better when I am completely finished setting it up.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2024 at 10:23 AM, Phil OKeefe said:

Thanks for the report about the YUNGBLUD SG Junior. I've been tempted to buy one for myself. How "slim" is that SlimTaper neck? And is it more of a C shape, or D shape?

Update on the neck profile, the specs list it as a SlimTaper C,   but   the neck feels very similar to my 2011 LTD Edd 50th Ann Custom Shop Epi 61 SG Special w/P90's which is a SlimTaper D profile. 

For those who are aware that Epiphone has been producing Bolt-On-Neck SG Juniors for quite some time, that have a reputation of being really good players, this upgrade with the Set Neck greatly improves upper access with 22nd fret position before it reaches the body, where the Bolt-On-Neck is at least 2 more frets into the body.

After having the  SG Junior for a couple of days it is so dreamy to play, the neck is incredible. I did get a new leather strap for it yesterday which helps with the balance.

This Classic White Is very close to Arctic White like Billie Joes "Classic White" Jr.

I have been desiring to acquire an SG Junior that I could afford, but this is beyond the copies that are available and at 599 with hardcase this is a very faithful Gibson authorized Epiphone product.

I'm really diggin it...... 🤣

dSpaXRq.jpg

Above my 2011 LTD Edd 50th Ann Custom Shop Epi 61 SG Special w/P90's, these SGs were 699 on MF, a bit more than current model Special below at 449, with is a steal.

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph

Also my Epi SG Classic below is an incredible P90 tone machine, which is currently selling for 429

T44fwoS.jpg

In case you are wondering each guitar using a different method to mount the P90 pickups alters the sound. The SG Junior use a surface mount pickup that is suspended above the body and reacts to the solid metal wraparound bridge this combination produces sound very different from body mounted P90s.

The SG Classic above uses the surface mounted style of P90 that the metal mounting tabs have been modified to use the height adjustment screws on the end of the pickup.  But does not have the wraparound bridge so it can't quite equal the tone ranges single P90 with solid metal wraparound. 

Currently the "single surface mount P90" with "wraparound bridge" arrangement, are like the Nichols LPs,  LP Juniors, SG Juniors, BJA Juniors and the Coronet. These guitars can produce really cutting tones that will cut through everything and comet on top, leaving mud-buckers in the dust.

There are other P90 guitars that use the surface mount style including the type that mounts into the pickguard and has hight adjustment screws at each end.

Andertons reported Limited production of 612.

Anyway these are my impressions which suggest to review, any counter impressions please post.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

It seems that as more people are reviewing this guitar, a pattern is forming. Seemingly approaching it with disdain, open the case and are blown away by the fit and finished of this beautiful guitar. Then struck by the feel of this lightweight wonder. Pick it up first comment is about the unusual shaped neck that is kind of like a D slim profile but some how thicker. The first strum resonates and they have to crank it, the sound of a true SG Junior erupts and keeps enticing them to continue playing.

• Thanks 1

On the Melody Maker,,Id want more PU's on it,,just to have more tone choices,,plus that vol knob is right in the way of where I strum{downstrokes},,it would be easy to move if theres room in the body routing to do so.

Edited by 10K-DB
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 1:04 PM, 10K-DB said:

On the Melody Maker,,Id want more PU's on it,,just to have more tone choices,,plus that vol knob is right in the way of where I strum{downstrokes},,it would be easy to move if theres room in the body routing to do so.

I had a few Melody Makers they were lots of fun ad provided opportunities for upgrading.

The new SG Junior is very similar to the first SG Les Pauls, before they got renamed they were just Les Pauls, but Les didn’t like that.

Several reviews have reported that the neck isn’t bound its binding is plastic that looks like wood.

Note it is a standard that all Epiphones have bound  necks, if it looks like wood its plastic. I have several of these.

Also a thin veneer was also standard to provide a better surface for finish, even Les Paul’s scrupled maple caps have a maple veneer. 

Solid Epiphone bodies are usually machined out for the controls and pickups then veneer applied  with cutouts to match. There are new guitars with solid bodies, usually 2 pieces like the SG Classic, SG Standard, Crestwood, Coronet and Wilshire, including a few others.

Some Epiphones have well hidden scarf joints, many are one piece of wood. When production shifted to the Gibson/Epiphone plant in China scarf joints almost became a thing of the past.

One of the biggest problems Epiphones have are related to the frets, either fret ends need to be dressed or a few frets not set properly. My new SG Junior was blessed at having an almost perfect neck.

I just can’t seem to put  it down, it just screen for more. It’s loud unplugged and the P90 Pro in this guitar the way it is mounted just screams.

My Juniors cousin, a 2011  61 SG Special with STETSBAR trem.

dvY4m0C.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Posted (edited)

There are tons of reviews on this Epiphone SG Junior, but, I waited for Guitaristas review because SG Juniors are his favorite goto guitars.

Mine is incredible and I getting used to pulling more out of single P90's, going back and forth between my Coronet and this Junior, they are running head to head with the Junior getting a little more time.

Not to forget that I also have a 97 Epiphone LP DC Junior (now I just need Epiphone produce new one of those and I will be in real trouble).    😵😰😍

Edited by mihcmac

21 hours ago, Tman said:

Wry impressive collection. Jealous again

Collections are easy when your first American made guitar was an Epiphone, so I have a natural affinity with them. I really don't mind paying a fraction of the cost for the models I want.

After re-reading all of my previous posts in here I must apologize for all of the typo’s, caused partly by me and partly by this machines spelling system replacing words before I’m ready.

So I leave now with this Siamese twin of my Coronet and the new SG Junior.

qgnixDm.jpg?1

Cheers.    😷

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My SG Junior, Coronet and LP DC Junior have set me on a retro course, re-evaluating and re-learning how to use the tone and volume controls to get the alternate sounds I desire using a single P90 with Lightening Bar, which they are  fully capable of providing.

I had originally set my guitar form to P90 Specials with Tune-O-Matic's and a Stop Bar, for versitility using switchable pickups adjustable bridge saddles and a Stop Bar that could be replaced by a Les Trem II (because I love tremolo's). 

Anyway over the last few weeks exposing my ears to the sounds produced by single P90 Lightening Bar guitars, I can't stop playing them, they just scream.     However I am temped  to add some Stop Bar Studs in one of them so I can mount a Duesenberg on it with the strings across the Lightening Bar to the tremolo. If I do this I will have sacrifice one with the most stable neck to interact with the tremolo.

The sounds I am hearing now  from the SG Junior and the Coronet are very similar since they are both mahogany guitars with the same hardware and electronics. My 97 LP DC JR is different because of being completely rebuilt several times with new hardware and an 04 Gibson LP P90, also having a really long neck joined to the body where the 23rd fret would be. These were referred to Les Paul Junior DC's on line, They did not ever have the Les Paul moniker on them anywhere, just Junior on the headstock and built out of some kind of tone wood with a bolt-on maple neck that goes deep into the body after the last fret. 

Currently I am still tweaking the SG Junior a bit, its settling down pretty good. I am looking forward to getting off this and playing it.

My Favorite Punk Band

jJuginj.jpg

Edited by mihcmac