Gibson Brands Forums

Trip down memory lane....

wicked1

So this has been on my brain for a few days...

I bet we all (or at least most of us) have those songs that take us back to some past memory--whether good or bad. I heard "my song" a few days ago and it has been on my mind ever since then.

Do you all have a song that transports you to a different place in time? Does it bring back memories in a way that nothing else does?

"My" song is Bob Seger's "Night Moves." I can't even explain why it means what it does to me, but it always makes me feel like I'm 19 again!

So.....do you have a song like that and what is it? (No need to explain why. Just what is it?)

The acoustic intro to Crazy on You by Heart and finally the tune Crazy on you....

It brings me back to when I was like 7th grade and spending a night over at a friends house. Its the first time I ever saw a real live breast that was not a photo; I walked into the wrong room and his older sister was getting dressed. Whats funny it was in the 70's (maybe 76) and most women didn't wear bra's. Then the Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood mac; it reminds me of the first Kiss' date=' and touching my first female body and enjoying the mutual expirence around 78.

Geeez I'm old..............[/quote']

LOL I have to appreciate that this doesn't involve The Firm! Wow! Who would've thought that when my kid wasn't thought've "Radioactive" it would also be reminding someon else of "the good ole' days"?

Love Will Build A Bridge brings back sore memories. Fortunately I can't Stand The Judds, and couldn't before "Her", so I ain't missin' out.

Dreamline by Rush brings back good memories. 19 years old and driving across country with a few friend from High School. Rains pouring down on the 10 through Texas, I'm Driving, My Friends Are asleep, and I'm having second thoughts about leaving home without a real plan. Then, I hear DJ say, "....and now we're gonna play you a new one from Rush."

I'm listening now, distracted from my second thoughts for a moment. Nice "Rushy" hook, some very Peart lyrics, and then it gets to the Chorus.

"We Are young

Wandering the face of the Earth

Wondering What our dreams may be worth

Learning that we're only Imortal

For a limited time"

My doubts were out the window and drown in the Torrential Downpour that challenged the efficiency of my windshield wipers. My foot found more gas pedal, and I would not be looking back. At least for the summer, after which I realized there's no place like home. I would set out, again from West to East as a Young Adult, but nothing like the Adventure, Excitement, Fear, and Realization of the first time away from your Hometown.

I have many songs like that.

One though is Every Breath You Take. It's not one particular memory. Just the whole summer of 1983 it seemed to be playing constantly. There was this swim club that we used to hang out at and that song always reminds me of being there. It was a great summer for me with lots of memories and that song always takes me back.

The entire Mule Variations album by Tom Waits. I was trying to finish college, and I moved to a town with nothing available job-wise. I was able to pay tuition, but couldn't afford a place to live, so I spent 6 months living out of my truck at a public boat landing. Mule Variations was one of maybe 5 cd's that I owned at that time, and is the soundtrack to the "is this what rock bottom feels like?" years.

Note - it was a rough spell, but I was still a damn sight above rock bottom.

Anything from Boston's first album takes me back. Or early Aerosmith particularly "Toys In The Attic", to name just a few, and I won't get into Skynyrd's "Pronounced"...I used to listen to a lot of music back in the day. And Boston's 2nd album reminds me of those CRAZY times going to Unadilla (Motocross)...I imagine Woodstock to be like that, only MUCH sicker.

Wow, several great songs bring back those memories of girls, booze and teenage innocence lost.

Paul Rogers and Bad Co. Feel Like Making Love

Bob Seager's Night Moves

Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion

Led Zeppelin's Cashmere

Boston's More Than A Feeling

Van Halen's Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Journey's Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'

Good Stuff from the '70s.

At my age there are countless songs that have time-machine qualities when I hear them. Perhaps the most poignant right now would be the one that was playing on the radio the day I walked to the Selective Service building on the morning of 15 May, 1968 to get on the bus to the Oakland Induction Station. As I kissed my pretty little girlfriend good-bye, Merrillee Rush's new "Angel of the Morning" was playing. It's been done a few times since then, most notably by Juice Newton. Whenever I hear it, it's 0430, 15 May, 1968 and I'm headed out the door for a freaky adventure that I really wanted nothing to do with.

Archived