Gibson Brands Forums

WTB: Gibson Southern JUmbo

CAMELEYE

Even though I already have a perfectly functioning and great sounding J-45, I just can't help myself. Love the SJ look.

New or used, adi or sitka, pu or not, I'm ready to pull out the long green. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ce.

I bought one of the new '42 Banner SJ in 2020. It's one of my favorites. I really think the baked top adds to the sound and brings out that rosewood sound. I don't think it sounds like one from the '40's but maybe from the '50's. I like the neck, not too big, not too small.

I've bought my last couple guitars from Music Villa and they've been very easy to work a deal with.

Here it is neck to a Legend and a '52 J45

50561472611_2545c6c7dd_w.jpg

• Like 1

In 60+ years my second favorite Gibson slope shoulder Jumbo was a 1956 Southerner Jumbo.  It is the only Gibson I let go of which still haunts me.  But back in the day I had to trade something in to snag something else.  In this case it was a 1946 LG2.  That in turn went for a 1957 CF-100 which eventually landed me a 1932 12 fret L1.  As my Mama did not raise no foolish child, this one ain't going nowhere. 

As to what you or anyone else should buy I do not have a clue.  If I were looking for a guitar to cozy up to my 1942 J50 though my first choice would be a Fairbanks Kal Gal Southerner Jumbo. Second would be one of Gibson's 2013 short run of Banner SJs.  What connects them is that both were copied from originals loaned by J.T.  

Edited by zombywoof

I briefly encountered a Custom Shop 1942 Banner Murphy Lab  Southern Jumbo in a shop not so long ago. Had no cream-bindings, but sounded stunning. Unfortunately my time in the shop was 'running out' as other guitars, in fact 2 Birds, had been the main focus, but damn, it would be good to return. If I do, you'll know.

And if you meet one yourself, try it - well, you would anyway. . .

To me, the Banner era SJs, originals or reissues, are the best looking guitars money can buy. Just enough bling! If you can, go for the current, new or used, Custom Shop 1942 SJ reissue. The 2013 version mentioned above, or the 2012/13 Sheryl Crow SJ (this one has a bound neck, which is not vintage correct, if that sort of thing matters to you) would also be a great options. Either could be hard to find, though. Best of luck!

Lars

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Help in what way?

Telling him which one he should buy. You know you need others to tell you it’s what you need to be sure your doing the right thing.

You think guys on the Ford Forum ask which F-150 they should buy?

Here is my advice - if you like it, want it, and can afford it you need no one else’s ok to buy it except maybe your significant other.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Help in what way?

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Telling him which one he should buy. You know you need others to tell you it’s what you need to be sure your doing the right thing.

Here is my advice - if you like it, want it, and can afford it you need no one else’s ok to buy it except maybe your significant other.

It's all in the thread title- "WTB".

Translation: he's looking for a Southern Jumbo. If you know of a nice one out there, let him know.

(duh).

Edited by JWG4927
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JWG4927 said:

It's all in the thread title- "WTB".

Translation: he's looking for a Southern Jumbo. If you know of a nice one out there, let him know.

(duh).

Thought it was, “Want To Buy”.

He’s going to get a different answer from everyone. This one’s the best or that one’s the best or someone will suggest something completely different.

The best thing to do is go out and play some. When you find one that bonds with you, that’s the one. Hopefully he can afford it.

It’s that way for any particular Guitar. No 2 are exactly the same.

Thanks for the replies, especially JWG. Yes, I'm looking to buy a SJ, new or used.

Since there are more than a few iterations of SJs out there, I appreciate others opinions.

There are no SJs in my immediate neighborhood; I'm willing to rely on the kindness of others to help along the way.

13 hours ago, CAMELEYE said:

Thanks for the replies, especially JWG. Yes, I'm looking to buy a SJ, new or used.

Since there are more than a few iterations of SJs out there, I appreciate others opinions.

There are no SJs in my immediate neighborhood; I'm willing to rely on the kindness of others to help along the way.

Good luck finding the right SJ for you.

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The problem is Bozeman has released a smorgasbord of Southerner Jumbos just like they have the J45.   It is a far cry from the day when Gibson offered you the best they had in any off-the-shelf guitar.  At the time, the only flattops produced in the Custom Department were special orders and the J200s.  Bozeman's definition of Custom Shop though is obviously very different than Kalamazoo's.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The problem is Bozeman has released a smorgasbord of Southerner Jumbos just like they have the J45.   It is a far cry from the day when Gibson offered you the best they had in any off-the-shelf guitar.  At the time, the only flattops produced in the Custom Department were special orders and the J200s.  Bozeman's definition of Custom Shop though is obviously very different than Kalamazoo's.  

Right! They make scads of Models of each Model! Which is why you gotta go & play them, as I mentioned earlier. No 2 are the same of any Model.

20 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Right!   My sense is the shift started around when they introduced the TV models for J45s, H'Birds and even a few SJ200s.  I think Bozeman had upgraded/improved their 'standards' to the point they felt they needed to get credit for it and call them something upgraded. So, the standards became the new normal.  Then, after the True Vintage, they introduced the Vintage ... and never looked back.   Now,  You have to qualify your guitar as   "a '42 SJ  made in '20" .   (Tip of the hat to DaveF.)

48 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Right!   My sense is the shift started around when they introduced the TV models for J45s, H'Birds and even a few SJ200s.  I think Bozeman had upgraded/improved their 'standards' to the point they felt they needed to get credit for it and call them something upgraded. So, the standards became the new normal.  Then, after the True Vintage, they introduced the Vintage ... and never looked back.   Now,  You have to qualify your guitar as   "a '42 SJ  made in '20" .   (Tip of the hat to DaveF.)

I guess I am lucky in that as far as I know, Bozeman has yet to issue a 1942 J50 so mine could only have been built that year.  No qualifiers needed.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why didn’t they paint the whole guitar one color? Seems silly to make 5% of the guitar a burst, and 95% black.

Is there any opinion you aren't more than ready to challenge or improve upon? Take a break.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, olie said:

Is there any opinion you aren't more than ready to challenge or improve upon? Take a break.

My Opinions = bad

What you believe = good

Sorry for having a thought in my brain.  Let’s others tell you what to think, I won’t.

On 10/1/2024 at 11:06 PM, E-minor7 said:

Lots of personality to this guitar. A kool co-player to meet in a jam-circle, , , an inspiring speciality to have at home every day. . 

Thank you! I really love it. It’s fun to play, especially for fingerpicking.

• Like 1