Gibson Brands Forums

Handguns Are Made For Killing!

Murph

You know' date=' instead of McCain, I voted for say Romney or Huckabee or who ever. [/quote']Arizona is late in the Primary run, so by the time we voted my guys were out.

Left with the choice of only Huckabee/McCain - well.....

Let's just say I never voted for McCain to be in the Senate either.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shoot through the door. Screw 'em.
Bravo!!!

(#6 shot Neo? not #00 or slugs?)
Yes' date=' #00 is overkill 90% of the time. 32 cal slugs flying God knows where?

Hey, if you're out in the country and might make a shot more than 15 yards, okay then.

Inside the house?

#6 packs plenty of energy and distributes it better. Instead of nine BIG holes you'll have a whole bunch of smaller holes.

It's plenty big to penetrate deeply, up close it's just as lethal. Farther away, they might live but they will be easy to find.

They will be the ones showing up at the hospital bleeding like a stuck pig from 40 different holes with lead embedded deeply in each one. Lotsa surgery, lotsa misery, lotsa scarring to remind them forever of their error in judgment.

They'll live, but they will live [i']much[/i] differently - if ya know what I mean....

Also, inside a house #6 will likely not exit through a wall - drywall, insulation and exterior siding will be wadded up in a big ball if it does and there will be little danger to anyone else. I like the idea of avoiding collateral casualties.

So... You guys say a .357 for my first handgun?

Yeah. VERY lethal' date=' and you can practice with lighter .38's in it until you're comfortable with the full house loads.

First gun? You want simplicity first and foremost.

Here's my reason behind this;

[b']1.[/b] If you need a gun, you're gonna be scared sh!tless - or you wouldn't be going for it. Come to grips with that FIRST.

2. When scared, you lose all tactile ability, especially in your fingers. You may as well be wearing oven mitts at this point.

3. Your lack of ability to operate even the simplest safety will frustrate you immediately - then you're REALLY scared!

4. You need something that you can simply point and click, no safety, decocker, mag release, trigger lock, safe combo...

5. Revolvers work in any condition, full of dust, pocket lint, rust, you name it. A dirty semi might fire once then not cycle.

6. Your second handgun? Then get a good semi auto (I like .40 cal) and shoot the hell out of it until it's second nature.

Glock Neo? I am just now starting to think about beginning to look into picking one up.

I like Glocks, had them for 20 years so I'm sort of attached.

Another fine gun in that line of thinking is the Springfield XD, especially for the price.

Can't go wrong either way.

Thanks, Neo!

I have gotten to fire a snub nosed .44 revolver. It was nice. Ok, it rocked. Definitely knew I had a gun in my hands [-(. I'm thinking a .357 would work fine.

So, the fear thing aside ( doesn't happen by the way. I'm wired funky... I get pissed off; scared comes later when I look back on what might have happened had I not gotten pissed....) So a .357 revolver it is.

Thanks again!

So a .357 revolver it is.

I recommend the Ruger SP101.

Great piece, great value, kinda like the Les Paul Standard of handguns.

You could spend more, but why?

You could spend less and have, well, less....

Used, look at Colt or S&W but even then the Ruger is a great durable gun second hand.

If you have any trouble with it (extremely unlikely) Ruger will fix it - usually for free.

Great company, great products.

I am a proud liberal but am 1000% against any type of gun control (except for convicted felons and bona-fide looney tunes). I will tell you that carrying a concealed handgun has saved my life twice.

Once I was jumped by 3 complete drunken strangers (for reasons I still don't know). I managed to make it to my car (I was leaving a bar, hence didn't have the gun in my pocket), grabbed my gun out of the glove box, and, well, let's just say "the tables turned".

Another time I was assaulted by three guys who were trying to highjack my car in Dallas. They ran up beside me and one dude stuck a gun in my face and demanded my keys. He didn't see my gun on the seat beside me until I pointed it at him. They fled as fast as they could.

I believe beyond a doubt I would've been killed in both instances had I not been armed.

I believe that is a contender. I got to hold one once' date=' never got to take it to the range. I was my Friends Old Lady's Gun and they broke up before I had a chance to shoot it.

Single Shot .223 Pistol. I don't care what anyone says, I like .223's.[/quote']

.223 is a good varmit round. The cool thing about the Thompson Center is you can get them in various calibers. Check out the variations:

G2 Contender Pistols

Model Caliber Barrel Stock Finish Sights

No. 2702 22LR Match 12" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 2706 357 Mag 12" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 2708 44 Rem Mag 12" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 2720 45/410 Vent Rib 12" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3556 223 Rem 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3568 17 HMR 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3552 22LR Match 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3509 204 Ruger 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3554 22 Hornet 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3511 6.8 Rem 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3558 7-30 Waters 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3560 30/30 Win 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3562 44 Rem Mag 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3564 45/70 Gov't 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3566 45/410 Vent Rib 14" Walnut Blued Adj. Sights

No. 3223 30-30 Win 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3209 17 HMR 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3213 204 Ruger 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3215 6.8 Rem 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3216 7-30 Waters 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3202 44 Rem Mag 14" SST Rubber Grips

No. 3221 45-70 Gov't 14" SST Rubber Grips

I really shouldn't... <grin>

I've had some neat opportunities to be lotza different places and never had a hand on a firearm for defense against human beings. Carried one, one way or another, for years, too, especially in certain "boonies" areas.

Feral dog packs, hand on a firearm twice. Never popped a cap, although I was ready to once with dogs in the pack bouncing off the sidewalls of the tent I shared with a terrified young wife.

I carried a snubby six-shooter in a special holster and with special ammo when solo deer hunting in the high hills for years. After almost taking a header off a cliff, and thinking of what might have occurred, I made up some special loads that were quite loud and sent about a 12-foot plume of flame at night. Folks out here would know why I figured that would be good to have with a broken leg or worse at the bottom of a cliff.

Handguns? Just been sports equipment for me. Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is great fun. So are most handgun-based sports, although CAS has less pressure and more fun.

Got into an argument once about the relative effectiveness of an "AK47" vs. a real "samurai sword" with a novelist at a writing seminar. I know how to shoot firearms a little and have a bit of experience with edged weapons. The sword is far more lethal in close quarters and is less likely to frighten potential victims into flight - although some greater degree of skill would be certainly helpful if hurting people were your goal.

I guess the novelist figured the noise would help an unskilled and inexperienced shooter - which it appeared he was - versus a skilled swordsman, which it appeared rather obviously he wasn't. But then, fiction, rather than reality was his thing, and I'm just an old newspaper and magazine guy writing about realities for a lot less cash.

A firearm is just a tool. As any tool, it can be used well, used poorly, used stupidly or misused. As any tool - a guitar, for example - it can bring great (and very peaceful) satisfaction in skill development.

Hmmmm. Come to think of it... I've used a guitar in minor self defense roles several times during saloon gigs. A peghead appropriately used seems to lessen aggression. An old metal Contaflex camera once fit the same function. A trained person with a ballpoint pen can make an impression if necessary. Never felt the need for a firearm even in various circumstances of serious social intercourse.

Frankly that latter makes me quite happy. I never much cared for violence.

I used a handgun for hunting whitetails for years. I enjoyed the challenge of getting in close and in making a good shot, which is harder to do with a handgun. But I really damaged my ears over time by shooting that .357 mag so many times without earplugs.

I have a .357 mag and a .44 mag and have hunted with both, IMHO, the .357 is much more violent to the ears than the .44 mag is. Also, in the early morning light the .357 really throws a lot of fire out of the barrel, especially with hot handloads. Very impressive sight.

I used a handgun for hunting whitetails for years. I enjoyed the challenge of getting in close and in making a good shot' date=' which is harder to do with a handgun. But I really damaged my ears over time by shooting that .357 mag so many times without earplugs.

I have a .357 mag and a .44 mag and have hunted with both, IMHO, the .357 is much more violent to the ears than the .44 mag is. Also, in the early morning light the .357 really throws a lot of fire out of the barrel, especially with hot handloads. Very impressive sight.[/quote']

This cracks me up. KSG using a loaded handgun to take out Bambi. Can we talk over-compensation, KSG?

... using a loaded handgun to take out Bambi...

Dude!

Did you see the rack on that deer at the end of the movie?

True story:

My wife sits down to watch Bambi with my boys and I. They were maybe 3 and 4 years old. At the end of the movie' date=' when Bambi walks out on that point and poses, BOTH boys in unison raised their imaginary rifles, took aim and went "Pow!"... just like Dad had taught them. O:)

Mom was apoplectic...

(Main Entry: ap·o·plec·tic

Pronunciation: ?a-p?-'plek-tik

Function: adjective

Etymology: French or Late Latin; French apoplectique, from Late Latin apoplecticus, from Greek apoplektikos, from apoplessein

Date: 1611

1: of, relating to, or causing stroke

2: affected with, inclined to, or showing symptoms of stroke

3: of a kind to cause or apparently cause stroke <an apoplectic rage> ; also : greatly excited or angered <was apoplectic over the news>)

I am a proud liberal but am 1000% against any type of gun control (except for convicted felons and bona-fide looney tunes). I will tell you that carrying a concealed handgun has saved my life twice.

I tend to agree with you, but I don't have any problem with a waiting period for a gun purchase. (How else will you identify felons & looney tunes?) Most people who have guns in their homes will end up shooting (if they shoot anyone) a family member. Still, I wouldn't say nobody should have one. I don't think it's necessarily a smart decision, but it's yours to make.

This cracks me up. KSG using a loaded handgun to take out Bambi. Can we talk over-compensation' date=' KSG?[/quote']

Don't worry heymisterk, that was the old me. Now that I'm a happy liberal/progressive, I'm going to have all of my handguns melted down and turned into flower pots and silverware for the poor.

Wicked....

I think the firearm thing depends on how children are raised.

I was taught never to touch another person's firearm without permission - and that included BB guns when I was really little.

My uncles' farm had shotguns at front and back doors due to a horrid rabid skunk problem in their area. None of us kids so much as touched them because we were taught not to.

OTOH, I would not allow any children into my home. It's too dangerous from everything up to and including curio cabinets that could fall and injure a strong 3 year old.

The problem is kids not taught to keep hands off other people's stuff, including glass curio cabinets.

I'm rather glad I don't have kids.

m

Wicked....

I think the firearm thing depends on how children are raised.

I can see that, but there's also the issue of adults being startled and shooting "blindly" so to speak. Or worse, getting mad and impulsively killing someone.

I grew up in a house with guns. We were taught to never touch them from the day we recognized them as objects. My dad hunted regularly. He also had to put down a few dogs that had been hit by cars. I knew well what guns were capable of doing.

Just last week, I think, there was a story out of Texas about a couple hearing someone outside and firing 2 shots into the dark. They said they thought they were prowlers/burglars. They killed a 7-year-old kid on someone else's property.

It's not the gun I have a problem with. It's the mindset of folks like that. There was no actual threat, but they over-reacted and killed a child.

Let's hear it for the ill-informed, unprofessional, knee-jerk, Nanny Statist crowd....

I tend to agree with you' date=' but I don't have any problem with a waiting period for a gun purchase.[/quote']This tells me very clearly how much you actually know about purchasing a gun.

(How else will you identify felons & looney tunes?)
Yeah' date=' THAT'S never been considered before....

Tell me what you know about what I do - as a GUN DEALER.

I'm a part of that decision-making process.

Most people who have guns in their homes will end up shooting (if they shoot anyone) a family member.
Not only are you alarmingly wrong, and irresponsible in repeating such error as fact - I find that statement insulting.

My kids understand what our home security involves, if they tell their friends that's a good thing....

My wife isn't about to get shot by me either, nor is she stupid enough (as you assert) to shoot me.

If you have a problem with private gun ownership in any way, I have a problem with YOU owning or driving a car.

(Don't even get me started on child-rearing, I'll leave it alone simply for the sake of decency.)

Still' date=' I wouldn't say nobody should have one.[/quote']Yeah, but the ignorant things you WILL say aren't much better.

I don't think it's necessarily a smart decision' date=' but it's yours to make.[/quote']Then, why are you here - and typing?

Trolling maybe....?

.... It comes back to how we were raised...

Truly.

And firearms are only part of the problem, it seems to me. The lack of constraints on children results, it seems to me, on adults who feel there is no constraint on behavior and don't stop to think.

Road rage.... etc.... Even some comments on this forum...

It ain't politics, it's upbringing....

I've got a gun. O.K. Great. I have it because I need it, not because I think it's cool or because I love to shoot stuff. Where I live - I have to have a way to defend myself, because the sheriff can't possibly get here fast enough to help if somebody breaks into my house.

What I wonder about is people whose interest in guns and gun violence goes way beyond what might be expected based on their life experiences or circumstances. I could understand a guy whose house got broken into keeping his shotgun handy.

But I wonder about the people who are obsessed with guns. "Gotta have ten guns, a jillion rounds of ammo, Obama's taking my guns, I need some assault weapons and maybe a fifty." If these guys are such a good shot, how come they need 100 rounds of ammo in their pocket?

There is no doubt that some gun nuts are whack jobs. But then again, my attorney's a gun nut and he's still my attorney. I don't know. Maybe some gun nut could clue me in.

=D>

Actually.... just a quick note before the dentist starts removing all my teeth, literally...

Firearms and like guitars. After a certain point, probably nobody "needs" all that many, even on a ranch.

But having more than a half dozen doesn't mean you're nuts. Sorry.

Also, I've gone through 1,000 rounds in an afternoon of relaxed plinking, 4-500 on a light practice day.

So... that argument's out, at least for some of us who do or have shot competitively.

One Thanksgiving the "family sport" afternoon included watching football and the eldest nephew playing rangemaster for plinking. Went through about 2,000 rounds that afternoon with all the "kids" involved.

But then, that was in the high hills with a family raised with firearms as a sport activity.

Again, firearms.... guitars.... not much difference, really.

m

Eye truly enjoy a full day off shoot'n lots of ammo. It's relaxing much like golf to some. Eye must relax aim slow my breathing and take the shoot. Put the round right on the mark. The more guns and calibers the more challenges.

And if you break in my place eye'll shoot ya.

This tells me very clearly how much you actually know about purchasing a gun.

I know that the only time I tried to purchase a gun' date=' I could not because I had a driver's license from another state. Furthermore, I did not say anything about the current laws regarding guns. I said I would not have a problem with a person waiting a few days to get a gun.

My kids understand what our home security involves, if they tell their friends that's a good thing....

My wife isn't about to get shot by me either, nor is she stupid enough (as you assert) to shoot me.

If you have a problem with private gun ownership in any way, I have a problem with YOU owning or driving a car.

(Don't even get me started on child-rearing, I'll leave it alone simply for the sake of decency.)

Where did I say I had a problem with private gun ownership? I actually said that I have no problem with people having guns in their home. I also do not have a problem with a person having to wait (and potentially cool off) before getting a gun. For most homes--including our own--I don't think it is the smartest move to make.

As for who you're going to shoot with that gun...Well, unless your house has been burglarized on several occasions, what are the chances that you will shoot an actual intruder. If you want to take your gun to the shooting range or hunting or out in the back yard shooting cans, then go ahead. But the issue being discussed was about having a gun in the house for "protection."

Yeah' date=' but the ignorant things you WILL say aren't much better.[/quote']

Well now. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Well' date=' unless your house has been burglarized on several occasions, what are the chances that you will shoot an actual intruder.[/quote']

Hopefully, zero.

If you want to take your gun to the shooting range or hunting or out in the back yard shooting cans' date=' then go ahead. But the issue being discussed was about having a gun in the house for "protection."[/quote']

All of the above apply to me.

Archived