Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul standard 08 vs gibson les paul classic antique

hoross

Well before i bought the Gibson les paul classic antique i wanted to buy the gibson les paul standard unfortunately they only had the traditional model but wasnt as good as the classic antique does someone know the difference between these 2 babes?

Classic Antique: Chambered Body, '57 Classic & '57 Classic+ uncovered pickups, 60's Slim Taper Neck, Top-Hat Knobs

Traditional: Weight Relieved Body, '57 Classic & '57 Classic+ covered pickups, Asymetrical Neck, Plek Set-up, Speed Knobs.

Hope this helps...

thanks man im sure u prefer the classic antique guitarman lol:-({|=

I definitely like the Classic Antique better, but only for the neck size. I may be talked into an '08 Standard if I was ever in the market for another LP. I know my son wants one.

Classic Antique also has Bound Headstock and Crown Inlay

Yes, I forgot about that. I definitely like the binding around the headstock. Looks classy.

As far as being better than the Traditional, that's anyone's opinion. Play each one and see which one you like the most.

I gotta admit with so little between the spec of them both, I think the Bound Headstock sells the Classic Antique for me.

If they still made them that is.

Plus the pickguard doesn't come screwed on from the factory so I don't have to live with 2 f***ing holes in the guitar.

• 1 year later...

Ok I have a Gold Top Classic reissue with a 60's slim neck, I also have a AAA flame top Blonde made for guitar center and MF. The Blonde doesnt have anything on the truss plate like Standard, Classic or traditional but I believe from looking at the receipt it is a Standard. The Neck seems fatter than my Classic and even though the Classic was almost half the price it feels and sounds better to me. Why is it so hard to find Classics now and the ones I saw the other day Classic reissue were $5000. WTF I want a Classic with a slim 60's neck in Iced Tea and cant find them. I paid 1600 for my Gold Top new in '08.

Ok I have a Gold Top Classic reissue with a 60's slim neck' date=' I also have a AAA flame top Blonde made for guitar center and MF. The Blonde doesnt have anything on the truss plate like Standard, Classic or traditional but I believe from looking at the receipt it is a Standard. The Neck seems fatter than my Classic and even though the Classic was almost half the price it feels and sounds better to me. Why is it so hard to find Classics now and the ones I saw the other day Classic reissue were $5000. WTF I want a Classic with a slim 60's neck in Iced Tea and cant find them. I paid 1600 for my Gold Top new in '08.[/quote']The "Classic Reissue" that you're thinking of isn't a "Classic". If it was "$5,000", it was an R0 (1960 Reissue) not a Classic.

You can find used Classics all over the place, all you have to do is look.#-o

^ What he said.

...Why is it so hard to find Classics now?...

The Classic range was discontinued a couple of years ago so unless you come across some NOS you won't find a new one in a dealership.

I prefer Traditional WAY over a classic or standard...Im not a fan of chambering, and the tone side by side compared to the classic, in my opinion ( and my friends who own the classic) that the traditional had better tone and sonic qualities..My traditional is best guitar I have ever played, i tried standards, a couple classics, and the traditional pro...and i can say The traditional plus beat em all hands down [smile]

I prefer Traditional WAY over a classic or standard...Im not a fan of chambering' date=' and the tone side by side compared to the classic, in my opinion ( and my friends who own the classic) that the traditional had better tone and sonic qualities..My traditional is best guitar I have ever played, i tried standards, a couple classics, and the traditional pro...and i can say The traditional plus beat em all hands down [cool']

If I had a choice of whether to buy the Traditional, the Classic Antique or the Standard, I would definitely buy the Traditional.

I have a chambered guitar, now I would try a weight relieved....which is the Traditional....only

Archived