Gibson Brands Forums

I-Pod for my 10-year old's birthday present

Californiaman

Lol...i dont listen to my music loud...acutal all my friend listen to their ipods on low volum..where the **** are u adults getting this info....get the kid an ipod...it will teach him music.

I had the first Walkman when I was a kid and would crank it. My hearing is shot...but I think that has more to do with all the heavy metal concerts I went to in the late 70s/early 80s.

Perhaps kids are smarter now. I didn't know any better.

Well his party is tomorrow and I know either choice will be a great gift for him.

He's in fourth grad and very social so maybe the camera. Thing is though, he's always wanting to listen to my music.

"Dad, can we listen to ZZ Top," or "Put in the Queen, Dad."

The other day he had the neighbor girl in my room listening to Marvin Gay.

Fourth graders. Won't be long till we have that talk.

Caught the two of them in the garage alone this afternoon.

Oh, boy.

Music's everywhere, get him the camera. If he gets interested in photography, you're helping promote a whole new world for him. Not that music isn't, but he's already tuned into that, by the sound of it. Besides, I see these kids walking down the street listening to their i-Pods, totally oblivious to the world around them. It's all kind of weird to me. I feel like we're promoting an anti-social generation.

Music's everywhere' date=' get him the camera. If he gets interested in photography, you're helping promote a whole new world for him. Not that music isn't, but he's already tuned into that, by the sound of it. Besides, I see these kids walking down the street listening to their i-Pods, totally oblivious to the world around them. It's all kind of weird to me. I feel like we're promoting an anti-social generation.[/quote']

I had a similar experience two weeks ago after picking up the boys from school.

We were driving home, and I don't speed, especially when I know I'm in a residential area, and this Jr. High-aged boy wearing his I-Pod, walked right out in front of my car without even looking. Totally oblivious to the traffic around him. I see it all the time too in the high school. They're plugged into the I-Pod and texting. If they could get away with it in class they would. But that's precisely why so many of the teachers, especially substitutes, have discipline problems with the students. They think they get away with texting and listening to their I-Pods because their regular teacher isn't there or they think the teacher isn't going to catch them.

In the end they lose them. The unit is taken away, turned into the office, and mom or dad has to take time out of their busy afternoon and get the thing back.

I think we're going with the Camera. Regardless, he's going to have a great birthday. We're having at a Laser Tag place called Motionzzz. It's cool. There are three teams and you have to go around and capture the other team's bases, while avoiding getting shot with lasers from the other teams. In the end the numbers of kills are tallied and you get your score.

It's fun.

I'd say get him an iPod nano and a Holga.

The nano's aren't a lot, and they're a flash drive, so when he drops it it won't break as easily. I just dropped my 80 gig classic, and had to get another one. :P

The Holga cameras are a really fun way to get into photography. They're inexpensive (about $40), and easy to use. A lot of fine art photographers use Holga's and get some awesome stuff. Being as simple as it is, it's a really good way to start to learn photography. There aren't any controls on it (like aperture settings or shutter speeds) so that forces the user to concentrate on other things like composition. Sometimes when I teach a photography class, I'll have the students do projects with Holga's. They've made some cool images.

my 9 year old is getting the iPod touch from my parents for her birthday.

she has a SonyEricson Walkman cell phone that has a nice amount of storage (with the memory stick) and is ALWAYS listening to it, so thats why they are getting her the touch.

she already has a really nice digital camera & RARELY uses it. she just uses her phone to take pics, and its always of goofy stuff anyway.

hope this helps!

Archived