Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood Vs Ebony.....

Murph

I'm torn. I love the ebony board on my J45RW acoustic, but am leaning (hard) toward the Rosewood board on my "normal production" ES339 vs my old ebony SG.....

What say you?

(Mexican Fender Lovers, please go to the Fender Forums and don't bother to waste space here, unless you just feel the need to spew.......)

I'm an ebony guy...(not that I'd say that in a personal ad) but I usually prefer ebony boards and don't really hear the famous tonal differences between them and my rosewood boards. I like the feel, the color(s) and the great durability. It cuts a neater edge for inlay work and doesn't get that funky buildup look at the frets that rosewood boards can get if they don't get rubbed down good regularly.

I'm an ebony guy and don't really hear the famous tonal differences between them and my rosewood boards.

:-

I agree.....

I can't hear the difference either, I just like the "feel" of the Rosewood better. But having said that 2/3 of my favorites are ebony......

Are you messin' with my head?

QUIT.........

I never had an Ebony board until I got a LP Supreme and I fell in love with that. I like the response I seem to get. My fingers seem to snap back off the board cleaner. I'm sure it's all in my head, as I don't think I can really feel the difference. But on the whole, I like the rosewood. That may have to do with the fact that that is what I learned on so many years ago. It seems to me that I embrace the rosewood more closer. I seem to feel more connected.

overall ebony hand down for me, although I do enjoy the contrast of rosewood for my fingers and tonal difference too. Jocko, my Gibson m3 Deluxe has a maple neck.

It sounds brighter and has more of a snap to my ear, which I like.

Boston Paul, I feel the same about my classicals and electrics with ebony boards; shifting position is cleaner and more efficient.

Matt

I have a rosewood board on my stratocaster (Fender not Gibson) and I will admit there is a big difference between the rosewood and the maple. That's a now brainer. The rosewood is warmer in my opinion.

Having said that, I voted for ebony because I'm pretty sure that's what's on my ES-175. I too have the toe jam but it's more on the 175 than on the newer Telecaster. When compared with the Stratocaster, the rosewood Strat has more toe jam than the other two.

And having said all of that, I voted for the Ebony.

I have a rosewood board on my stratocaster (Fender not Gibson) and I will admit there is a big difference between the rosewood and the maple. That's a now brainer. The rosewood is warmer in my opinion.

Having said that' date=' I voted for ebony because I'm pretty sure that's what's on my ES-175. I too have the toe jam but it's more on the 175 than on the newer Telecaster. When compared with the Stratocaster, the rosewood Strat has more toe jam than the other two.

And having said all of that, I voted for the Ebony.[/quote']

I wanna change my vote to toe jam!

Murph, I feel as you do on this one. Yes, ebony is, "better". But, rosewood, "feels" better. It also "dents", should someone who you would like to strangle comes in during your set play. :-s I call'em per instrument as I audition its play. Toe jam on a maple board is a Bronze Star.

Groper

I voted for rosewood b/c brazilian board is something special. I am strongly considering having some brazilian installed in my R9. I also love that worn maple fretboard, it screams mojo. I had a tele deluxe with maple but I traded it for a PRS before it got the toe jam.

Archived