Gibson Brands Forums

It happened again!

BlackHawk233

My car is once again dead, well in the process.

Every time I drive it, it bogs more and more, and tonight while driving home, it started to pulsate so badly it almost died about 10 times.

I don't know why I just posted this, maybe to put my post count higher, maybe cause I'm sad.

Why, of all cars, does my VOLVO fail....

My car is once again dead' date=' well in the process.

Every time I drive it, it bogs more and more, and tonight while driving home, it started to pulsate so badly it almost died about 10 times.

I don't know why I just posted this, maybe to put my post count higher, maybe cause I'm sad.

Why, of all cars, does my VOLVO fail....[/quote']

Hey I have a Volvo too.

Check the air filter, make sure it's getting the air it needs. Check the fuel filter, make sure it's getting the gas it needs. Check all the vacuum tubes going to and from the carburetor. Check that all the spark plug wires are secure. Get a tune up.

The catalytic converter could be plugged. It would idle fine but bog when more exhaust was put to it. Hold your hand at the tailpipe and have someone rev the engine. You should feel a proportionally higher pressure on your hand as it revs.

The catalytic converter could be plugged. It would idle fine but bog when more exhaust was put to it. Hold your hand at the tailpipe and have someone rev the engine. You should feel a proportionally higher pressure on your hand as it revs.

and then hold your acoustic guitar's sound hole up to the the pipe and let the exhaust fumes fill the guitar. If it makes any kind of sound then this thread will now be guitar related.=D>/

Check the air filter' date=' make sure it's getting the air it needs. Check the fuel filter, make sure it's getting the gas it needs. Check all the vacuum tubes going to and from the carburetor. Check that all the spark plug wires are secure. Get a tune up.[/quote']

EES TRUE SENOR....even 1 bad vacuum tubes gonna mess up the whole shebang, and they don't have to be going to the carb...wait, yer car has efi (electronic fuel injection) don't it? Maybe you got a clogged injector or injector pump. Vacuum bugs are a muthaf@ckuh to chase down...at least in my experience.

Check out this forum. I had an old 440 a while back and sorted a couple of issues with their help. Really helpful people there I found.

I'm on my 6th (V40) and 7th (Mrs AJ's XC90). Great cars and v reliable as a rule.

http://www.volvo-forums.com

Hope this helps.

BTW 850 T5 - cool car. When it first came out, Volvo entered it into the British Touring Car Championship. Quite weird seeing a Volvo estate tearing around racetracks against BMWs and the like.

Seems to me if it runs okay at idle, but stutters under load, the FIRST thing I'd check is the fuel filter. I don't know a THING about Volvos, (I'd buy one, but then I'd have to get a "Save The Whale" bumper sticker), but many cars now have filters in or near the fuel tank, and many times a second one, (strainer), and the carburetor/injector pump.

Bob

I have a drivers license!

That qualifies me to recommend, unequivocally, that you should go out and purchase a Yugo to address your original question.

Further, I have met the qualifications, and processed the appropriate applications to obtain, a dog license, which makes me an expert on those, too.

That is, if it ever comes up.

Buy Honda' date=' problem solved!

Volvo is owned by Ford.[/quote']

I've had my brother say that before, and I always remind him, ford has nothing to do with the quality control.

And on a better note, We found the problem. It's exactly what happened before, to much turbo pressure, causing the air line to simply fly off the radiator.

This is beginning to show a definite weakness. We found that with the line clamped, the bottom of the hose slips out a bit if you don't watch it as you tighten it back up. Thank god for my dads knowledge of cars, and the somehow "best" place for the pressure to escape.

From now on, I will be checking my Air hose regularly, this "slip" seems to happen slowly, causing a gradual loss of pressure in the turbo and engine, until it dislodges.

Laugh at me now, but remember, my repair was free.

Archived