Gibson Brands Forums

nitro and guitar stands

Ruud2904

Hello all, this is my very first posting, so please be gentle....

I bought my firt LP last week. The guitar is really outstanding and I love each minute it is in my hands. So far so good. Now I prefer to have my LP in the living room in a guitar stand rather than have it safely stored into its case. There are several guitar stands that claim not to be safe for nitro laquer finish. from a technical point of view I understand. I also understand that there are guitar stands that are compatible with the nitro finish, or that you can wrap it up with cotton or so. I am not looking for hints to prevent damage. But what I would like to learn are your experiences. Who has experience on this subject. How soon did your guitar show the consequences and describe what and how bad they were?

Ruud

Hello all' date=' this is my very first posting, so please be gentle....

I bought my firt LP last week. The guitar is really outstanding and I love each minute it is in my hands. So far so good. Now I prefer to have my LP in the living room in a guitar stand [b']rather than have it safely stored into its case.[/b]

Welcom Ruud. You hit the head squarely on the nail. There ain't no 'safe' place outside of the case. Most stands are at best a compromise between convenience and safety. The more convenient, the less safety. I wouldn't trust one to hold a guitar for an extended period unless the stand was firmly bolted to the floor and behind a glass door.

There are several guitar stands that claim not to be safe for nitro laquer finish. from a technical point of view I understand. I also understand that there are guitar stands that are compatible with the nitro finish' date=' or that you can wrap it up with cotton or so. I am not looking for hints to prevent damage. But what I would like to learn are your experiences. Who has experience on this subject. How soon did your guitar show the consequences and describe what and how bad they were?

Ruud[/quote']

Having said that,

If you still insist on leaving the guit tar out, and on a stand for an extended period, anything that is not rubber or vinyl would suffice. A quick an dirty is the fingers out of a leather glove. Some fabrics / yarn can be abrasive, so I'd stick with leather. One could wrap the parts contacting the finish with leather latigo or such

I have total confidence in mine...No problemo!!

IMG_0605.jpg

That there is about as 'safe' as they come, as long as you are absotively, possolute that you snap the straps every time and the straps and or snaps don't fail.

If your plan is convenience, this one is fairly convenient. If your plan is to display it... Hang it on a wall... or behind a glass door.

Unless you are the only one in the house.... case it. Cats, Dogs, Kids, Friends, Drummers... all deadly.

White 100% cotton.

Anything else is trouble.

There's only one way to find out for sure if your stand is "safe for all finishes" and then what?

If it turns out they lied - you're f-cked.

They will NOT be liable for any damage and your guitar is scarred for life.

Why take a chance?

Thanks for the replies so far. Although I agree with you that storage a nice guitar as a Gibson LP in its case is a safe place, there is a piece of fun in being able to look at a nice guitar too and some functionality in being able to easy access the guitar too. I am very much aware of the warnings. So far, non of you came up with negative experiences, just more warnings or alternatives. I suspect the chance of damage is less than one might suspect. No manufacturer states guitar stands are 100% safe, just because of liability. That is quite understandable. But if you ask what the risk really is, I received the following answer :

Thank you for using our products.

As you mentioned, the best way to storage a guitar is in the case.

Normally there will be no problem when you put your guitar in the stand.

But with "extraordinary circumstances", for example, if you storage your guitar for month`s in the stand without use, always on the same contact position, behind a window with direct sunshine and so on. Then there is a small possibility for a reaction between the laquer and the color batch of the rubber.

So you see, with a normal use there will be definitly no problem.

We have to inform our customer about the possibility, because no one can guarantee safety by 100%.

Until today we don`t have even one laquer complaint by a XXXXXXXX

unquote

So, how big is the risk ??? Today, I did covered/wrapped my "more or less safe" stand with broad linnen bands on the contact surfaces and

I think I can have the LP in the stand in the hours that I am at home, awake and sort of having the guitar in use.

At nights and at working hours, I intend it to have it in it's case.

How about that ?

Yea, it happened to one of my guitars. It takes a while, so if you put your guitar on a "unprotected" stand for a minute or two, all hell isn't going to break out. It doesn't eat all the way thru, it just sort of permanately fogs the finish with these finger sized marks. It sucks though.

I use old 100% cotton socks. My guitar's on the stand most of the time, it's a year and a half old, and the finish seems to be fine.

I'm not too nervous about it falling over, but when my cat started eyeing the grillcloth on my new homemade speaker cabinet, I got pretty freaked out!

White 100% cotton.

Anything else is trouble.

There's only one way to find out for sure if your stand is "safe for all finishes" and then what?

If it turns out they lied - you're f-cked.

They will NOT be liable for any damage and your guitar is scarred for life.

Why take a chance?

any guitar played by me is scarred for life anyway.

=P~

• 8 months later...

I've just bought an ES335 DOT Reissue to replace an Epiphone Riviera which was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I had heard the warning of using a stand with a guitar with a nitro finish, so I was keen to see the answers to the question here.

I know this may sound simplistic, but would not the answer be to be 99.999% confident (it's never 100%) to wrap the rubber in the same material that lines the hard case.

But no doubt, as a newbee, I'm probably missing something!!

Archived