Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best guitar amplifier brand?

Alekseriator

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 500 bucks, Fender Blues Junior (15 (loud) tube watts), or a used but not abused Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!

I play in bars and small clubs, and the Blues Junior is plenty loud, for those kinds of venues.

The HR Deluxe has a better "bottom end," but at 40 (very loud) tube watts, it's often "too loud"

(at it's sweet spot) for smaller venues. At least, according to the owners, and those who "hire" us...LOL!

Both, are great reliable amps. They are "tube" amps, so will require the normal care, that tube amps need,

from time to time.

CB

I play rock' date=' heavy rock and puck-rock. My budjet is around 500$ or less. I looking for a good amp that will make Les Paul sound like one and distortion is not the only thing, i need like a balance between distortion and clean. I heard a lot about Fender and Marshall amps are they any good??[/quote']

Now that we have the most important info in our hands (BUDGET - that is...), I can jump in. Having thought this issue considerably myslef, with the same budget in mind, I came to the following:

Blackstar HT-5 (already mentioned)

Fender Blues Junior (great one!)

Marshall Haze

And you can always use pedals to get the exact type / amount of distortion that you like to use, if the amp in itself does not provide it. And you can always find GREAT sounding pedals for about $100 or so and go from there...

Good luck potential buyer![biggrin]

Instead of opening another thread' date=' I just ask here...

To cut it short...

Has anyone experience with one of these:

- Roland Jazz Chorus JC 120B

- Polytone Amps (the minibrute for example)

- other amps that would fit?

Suggestions and sharing your experience is appreciated... as are your suggestions already made in this thread.

[/quote']

As far as the Roland Jazz Chorus is concerned: My guitar teacher ownes a very rare edition of that on, with 4x12'' speakers. If clean sound is what you need, you cannot go wrong here! Amazing clean channel, and bear in mind that this is the only perhaps classic sxolid state amp... Joe Perry & Billy Duffy use them, just for info.

Hard to get it to work nicely with pedals for distortion, but... For clean sounds...wow! And you get the great solid state (absense of...) maintenanance..

Marshall jcm 2000 dsl 401.but you got to shift the speaker to vintage 30 celestion,it was a big difference.its good to practice at home and big enough to play with your band even small gigs.got a great line out to.at home i use the line out into the recording studio and then out to my speakers.then dial the volume so i can hear both sources.i have played in tracks to play along with and use drum loops to.for me this is great fun.I'm not a virtuoso,so i have to go for the fun with a fat good sound.for home use its enough with a cheap studio,i use a boss BR 900 CD.and of course a decent hi fi

A friend that plays in a very good cover band used to use his Marshall JCM 800, but traded a strat for a Laney head and that sounded very nice with his LP. Played everthing from Godsmack, to Shinedown, Prince to Poison and it was great. Supprised me a bit.

Instead of opening another thread' date=' I just ask here...

I own a Marshall Valvestate VS65R and a IMG Stage Line GAB-66DC (probably rather unknown - the company is monacor international) for a long time and as I started playing again much more I recognized that my taste changed a bit.

I still like the Marshall very much, but it is just too big for my needs. With the other, smaller amp (6W solid state) I can`t really get the sound I want now (as always in this (my) case... the problem sits behind the guitar... ;-) )...

So I started looking for other amps (brands and sounds)... I would like a simple amp (just one or two channels) with a good, warm, clean sound (Jazz, Blues). I`d like to keep it simple and I guess I could use pedals if need arises to vary the sound (I just own a chorus and an overdrive pedal... reverb would be another option I`d like). I have a LP Studio Custom with PAF-Humbuckers. At the moment I`m mostly playing for myself, so no plans for playing in a band (or getting on big stages ;-) )

To cut it short...

Has anyone experience with one of these:

- Roland Jazz Chorus JC 120B

- Polytone Amps (the minibrute for example)

- other amps that would fit?

Suggestions and sharing your experience is appreciated... as are your suggestions already made in this thread.

[/quote']

You sound like an Epiphone Valve Junior candidate. You have a choice between the Valve Junior (5W, volume knob), the Valve Junior Hot Rod (5W, reverb tank), and the Valve Senior (18W... not entirely sure of features).

Fender makes some of the finest amps around, as far as I'm concerned. I've tried a few out and absolutely loved them--great clean tones, good dynamic responses, and they take pedals very well. Even a Fuzz Face didn't put up (too much of) a fight when I plugged it in.

Just go try a few different amps out. You'll find something you like.

Archived