Gibson Brands Forums

"Good" guitarists, bands and artists.

Thundergod

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thundergod asked:

"So, what is a good artist?"

Well - anyone you like, as in YOU like, is a good artist as far as you're concerned.

And that's all that matters. To you. I know what I like to hear.

And that's all that matters. To me.

That's all.....

So' date=' what is a good artist?[/quote']

Good is subjective and is based on the opinion of ony one person - the listener. If you like it, then it's good. Period.

Does that mean it holds up to scrutiny by a bunch of guitar players? Doubtfully. But who cares?

As for the guitar player in question, I didn't like his tone or songs, but he has talent. More importantly he has a career. Anyone who's been around the business side of popular music knows that talent is not the prime indicator of one's success - gotta factor in looks, luck, timing, image, marketing, etc. Is anyone here naive enough to believe their talent will earn them a career in popular music? Remember the Monkees? Just sayin'

Good is subjective and is based on the opinion of ony one person - the listener. If you like it' date=' then it's good. Period.

<snip>

Remember the Monkees? Just sayin'

[/quote']

Remember Paul McCartney in the '90s? Ick.

Maybe it's not about the artist, but the producer... at least by the time it gets to us.

I feel like music and talent is a competition here.....go listen to/play what you want, and I will listen to/play what I want. I would like to check out what you like, but I can't promise I will like it....I will give it a fair shot. I don't just like guitar based music...I like some "phat" beats now and then....some classical occasionally....

If it excites me, I like it and its good. As far as your questions goes TG "What is a good artist?".....from my perspective (I'm going to avoid the one that I know will cause an argument), i've been really into the new Alice in Chains album...also a cool Finnish horn band called Alamaailman Vasarat, some Deltron 3030, Satan's Pilgrims, Jonas Hellborg, The Sword, most things with Mike Patton involved....

I just think that musicians should the LAST people claiming that other musicians "suck"....resorting to that shows a lack of confidence in your own opinion. Can't you just say you didn't like it?

All I was trying to do in the other two threads was expose folks to lesser known talent.

Then all the shxt starts flying...

Nick has been doing well for years now, Ricardo is now in the studio in London working on his new release.

Then all the shxt starts flying...

That seems to be what guitar players do - unfortunately.

I say if the guy is making music that he likes and others like it too - he's a success. I'd rather hear that than some guy who picks up the instrument with the intention of impressing other guitar players.

I will go out on a limb here and say.

This particular forum has a more closed minded attitude than most.

Not everyone... But more so than the others I check out.

It's been getting a bit nauseating hasn't it? I've been skipping a few of the threads here lately because of the chest beating that's been going on. I hope it doesn't get to the point were I stop coming to the forum altogether.

I think what we have here on this forum is just a bunch of guys talking smack because they can't play as well as the guys you've posted here who are playing for a living ~ they're doing what most of us only dream of doing. That's often the cause for smack talk.

I don't like the why people in general, get so threatened by others. It makes me feel saddened as it stops them finding their own way. After this is one of the reasons I think we are here!

There will always be someone faster, someone brighter, someone better looking, someone uglier, someone younger, someone older etc etc, but the one secret weapon everyone has, IF, they have have the balls to do it, is to be themselves! Find you own sound/voice and quieten the gossiping voices in you mind that often doubt everything and forge onwards.

No one can be exactly like you, master that and stop worrying about pecking orders and you can go so far by being an individual.

That is meant sincerelyxx

Matt

ps screw what guitar/amp everyone says is the best do it your way baby :D/ :D/

... the one secret weapon everyone has' date=' [b']IF[/b], they have have the balls to do it, is to be themselves!

Words of wisdom there. Nice job, Matt. And most of the players we discuss as great have done just that.

I really agree with Matt (Sear)

I'm not a fan, for example, of "oompah" bands, but over the years there have been some pretty skilled and talented folks doing their thing with it. Ditto some of the current "rock" stuff.

But I think "talent" and "skill" don't have to be "liked" to be appreciated.

I think I can tell who's making it work as Matt said and who can't. I don't have to like the music.

As far as the business side goes, I think that's harder than the rest. There are a lot of decisions to be made and I think too many folks aren't realistic about it at all.

In a sense I thing that for all "artists," whether musicians or sculptors, making the business side work is a lot more difficult than getting skill and talent in the art to work.

I remember one pro symphony violinist who grew up a cupla farms over from my Dad. She said she envied me because I could do the music I wanted and perhaps enjoyed it more - and if a few bucks came my way from playing or teaching, that's super.

That really made me think about "art" and "business" even 35 years ago.

m

And maybe I am heavily into Derek Trucks, Scott Henderson, Jonny Lang, Joe Bonamassa,

Brad Paisley, Billy Corgan, Mel Taylor, Chris Duarte, Jack White, Duncan Lloyd, Rivers Cuomo

to name a very small few off the top of my head.....

And that's before I start on the guys NOT in bands but posting on MySpace and elsewhere.

I steal guitar inspiration and tricks from anyone and everyone, new players, old players, even dead players.

Pre or post '75 - don't worry me either way.....

Every time I go out to see a live band local or national act I am always focused on the guitar player to see what he/she is doing with their hands in relation to what they are playing. Its the easiest way to learn tricks; IMO

It certainly pays to be opened minded enough to learn form others.

Archived