Gibson Brands Forums

Off subject ==No joke== anyone have experience with deaf dogs?

Johnt

what kind of help are you needing...? what kind of problem are you facing?

We adopted a Jack Russell on Sunday deaf as a post but we are both Pisces and as daft as brushes!

Took our two dogs to meet him the three got on fine.

Got home and the new JRT turns into nightmare on Elm street. Sunday night he bit us all and making the other dogs life difficult.

Need to know about healing dominance with hand signals

( Gosh on another note I wonder what TWilson would have made of that line)

Have read a lot about facial expression, hand signals etc and can get on with all that fine. Don't even mind getting bitten when you surprise him. The problem is how to train the dominance out without voice.

We have adopted dogs from JRTs to scatty Irish Wolfhounds but we are getting beaten by this little scruff.

And we don't get beaten!

I suppose Ceasar Milan isn't lurking?

Sorry can't resist the joke but it isn't a joke for the little one

The dog home he came from is called Last Chance Animal Rescue and he came from a dog pound in Wales no history at all to help.

!

BR

John

Dang, John.... you've had JRT's before and you STILL adopted another? They ARE Terriers.... are the other dogs terriers too? Males?

Can you imagine the poor guy's confusion at going to a new place.... no comfort there... other dogs sneaking up, etc.... give the guy some time away from the other dogs to get his bearings in your yard... maybe introduce the others one at a time so he won't feel intimidated.

Hopefully you KNEW you weren't getting a dog like Eddy in Frasier.

Bob

Dang' date=' John.... you've had JRT's before and you STILL adopted another? They ARE Terriers.... are the other dogs terriers too? Males?

Can you imagine the poor guy's confusion at going to a new place.... no comfort there... other dogs sneaking up, etc.... give the guy some time away from the other dogs to get his bearings in your yard... maybe introduce the others one at a time so he won't feel intimidated.

Hopefully you KNEW you weren't getting a dog like Eddy in Frasier.

Bob[/quote']

Jeez Bob

You;re making it worse I am feeling sorry for the little ba$$$ard.

All joking aside if he could hear we could deal with it, we have had obsessed JRTs schizo Irish Wolfhounds, demneted lurchers and above all a Golden retriever who pi$$ed on evry fishermans creel he saw!

Just am finding it so diffcult to communicate. Your boy is a mature gent, did he go deaf with age?

This one is one year old he knows D***sh** about nothing.

The problem is that the other dogs are not sneaking up they are on the top floor of the house under the beds, he doesn't bite them, he's just so bloody desperate to be part of the pack

Thanks mate

John

Jeez Bob

You;re making it worse I am feeling sorry for the little ba$$$ard.

All joking aside if he could hear we could deal with it' date=' we have had obsessed JRTs schizo Irish Wolfhounds, demneted lurchers and above all a Golden retriever who pi$$ed on evry fishermans creel he saw!

Just am finding it so diffcult to communicate. Your boy is a mature gent, did he go deaf with age?

This one is one year old he knows D***sh** about nothing.

The problem is that the other dogs are not sneaking up they are on the top floor of the house under the beds, he doesn't bite them, he's just so bloody desperate to be part of the pack

Thanks mate

John[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha......................

Sorry.... I'm sitting in my office cracking up... (my secretary thinks I'm schizo like your Irish Wolfhounds!!)

Yeah, my old guy wend deaf with age...and blind....

You're gonna HAVE to put him on a leash and teach him the ropes...and then straight into a crate, (so he'll know what to "do" outside). When you let him out of the crate, he needs to be back on a leash... for several weeks.... big effort, but it'll be worth it, methinx.

Bob

I trained all my dogs(three) with hand signals first... from what I can tell, my dogs learn quicker from hand signs than my voice..

Of course, after the hand signs, I have trained them verbally too...

Anyhow, the easiest way to get to know a dog is by walking on a leash.(like Cesar does..)

I am a strong believer in leash training.

I know some say Cesar's method is wrong, but hey.. it worked for me.

Appreciate advice guys

the things we do for animals eh?

My wife is in a spare room cuddled with the dreaded incomer and I am hiding at the top of the house with the others!

And blow me down we've run out of whisky on the third floor!

Need to sleep on this big time and have meeting in NW10 ( london) at 08.00

I really do thank you for your advice guys.

G U E S T >>>>>..Nos da! Cara naill ach ag!!

Sleep tight!

I think my dog is going or is deaf. Doesn't hear anyone come in the house. Doesn't come when called unless she is looking at you. What to do?

*Feed her.

*Love her.

*Let her out.

*Make sure she is looking at you when you talk to her.

*Don't be mad if she doesn't listen. Maybe she can't.

Buddy is 13 years 9 months and I doubt he can hear much. His eyes are clouded up big time too. However I keep him on senior vitamins and glucosamine and he is sooooo full of P and V, my GAWD he drives me crazy. I'm sitting here on the couch typing and all I did was move my arm and he jumped to his feet and came to me as if to say, "What now, Dad? What are we doing? Where are we going? Huh?" And now he's pacing back and forth across the living room, laying down for 1.4 seconds, then jumping to his feet if I so much as twitch.

I guess the point is, if your dog is otherwise healthy and happy, hearing and sight problems seem minor. I do have to be careful when I take him outside because he probably doesn't see or hear the cars going by. If he wanders out back and then comes looking for me, I have to wave my arms so he picks up on the motion. If I stand still, he'll go right past me.

Probably a good thing he doesn't hear me. The baby talk is embarrassing.

54hym8.jpg

Buddy is 13 years 9 months and I doubt he can hear much. His eyes are clouded up big time too. However I keep him on senior vitamins and glucosamine and he is sooooo full of P and V' date=' my GAWD he drives me crazy. I'm sitting here on the couch typing and all I did was move my arm and he jumped to his feet and came to me as if to say, "What now, Dad? What are we doing? Where are we going? Huh?" And now he's pacing back and forth across the living room, laying down for 1.4 seconds, then jumping to his feet if I so much as twitch.

I guess the point is, if your dog is otherwise healthy and happy, hearing and sight problems seem minor. I do have to be careful when I take him outside because he probably doesn't see or hear the cars going by. If he wanders out back and then comes looking for me, I have to wave my arms so he picks up on the motion. If I stand still, he'll go right past me.

Probably a good thing he doesn't hear me. The baby talk is embarrassing.

[img']http://i33.tinypic.com/54hym8.jpg[/img]

scott, you and buddy are both very lucky. john t, i wish i could help. all the best to the lot of you.

woof

Sir Johnt

I think you and your caring wife are just great to take on that new JR. One night with my Nou Nou THE LOVE MACHINE-would calm him way down (for about 2 seconds). If you send your jet, we both will pay you a visit.

Regards,

Moose

Some good friends of mine always have a number of dogs in the house, and always at least one JRT. A couple of years ago they got a JRT puppy who was deaf. They used hand signals to train him, and a shock collar to emphasize that he could not be dominant, whenever he made a play for power, since shouting didn't intimidate him at all.

He's now a well mannered dog, typical JRT outside, but sweet and patient with kids - although he also farts more than a fat frat boy at a burrito party... and we're talking paint-peeling stink, here. :-k

Some good friends of mine always have a number of dogs in the house' date=' and always at least one JRT. A couple of years ago they got a JRT puppy who was deaf. They used hand signals to train him, and a shock collar to emphasize that he could not be dominant, whenever he made a play for power, since shouting didn't intimidate him at all.

He's now a well mannered dog, typical JRT outside, but sweet and patient with kids - although he also farts more than a fat frat boy at a burrito party... and we're talking paint-peeling stink, here. :-k [/quote']

Thanks highway9 and also all others who tried to help,

End of line

all appreciated

the lounge can be restored to chaos

Archived