Gibson Brands Forums

Travel acoustic

DAS44

Go find yourself a 1970's or early 80's Yamaha laminate.... great guitars that withstand everything. An FG331 is a nice size (Grand Concert) guitar that is perfect for worry free traveling.

I have a 1986(?) Yamaha FG-435A. It's a great guitar and has been put through more abuse than I care to mention. It's always sounded good, but I recently added a TUSQ nut, saddle and pins, and it sounds great now. In some ways, I prefer this beat-up $300 survivor to my L-4A.

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest a 70s or 80s model to others. But what they make now is another story. :/

Yamaha or Epiphone would be my starting point. I have a 7 or 8 yo Yammy FG432, solid top, lam sides. Nice guitar but the Yamaha necks are quite narrow. Solid.

Does an Epi Hummingbird come within budget? If so, this must be worth a look. Matt The Cat has one and he can really make it sing so sweetly.

I once had a Martin "Backpacker", (why does that sound dirty?). I wasn't impressed.

I travel with my Jubilee.... got the headstock broken off about 20 years ago on Amtrack going to Oregon... only time it's ever been damaged, (other than by my playing).

I have a custom-made solid-body electric and small amp I keep in the motor home....just in case.... but I usually STILL bring along the Jubilee.

Bob

The JeffersonCamperGuitar is a CA Cargo, which is quite incredible sounding & indestuctible.

http://music.jeffersoncampervan.com/

Previous candidates were a Larrivee Parlor ( great as well, but too 'good" to leave in the motorhome year-round), an Ami ( good for the bucks,but not quite there for me) & a Republic Parlor (very funky & has cool factor, but I had to give up on the 1 13/16" nut).

i have had excellent luck with the little martin...

i have found it is better put together than a baby taylor...sounds a bit richer too...

its a 3/4 size guitar and the whole thing is laminate with a stratabond neck...

very solid...sounds very good...very fun to play, and comfortable...

also around 300 bucks...so the money you save you can get yourself a pedal!

I started with the Baby Taylor but was always disappointed by the sound, so it is now strung in Nashville tuning. It does fine as a Mandolin-like specialty instrument. It is definitely convenient for travel, though, and my reaction to the sound may not be the same as yours.

I eventually ended up with a VOyage-air OMV6--the folding guitar mentioned above. It is as convenient as the Baby Taylor, but unfolds to be a full-size guitar with a very good tone. However, it is above your price range at around $700 street. I haven't seen them coming up used yet.

I haven't owned a little Martin, but have played a few and may get one as a starter guitar for my granddaughter. I agree with Mr NewHaven that it sounds better than the Baby Taylor. Surprising punchiness for such a small body.

Archived