Gibson Brands Forums

A shout out to our International members

Bluemoon

I've been studying the circle of Fifths and doing quite a lot of academic Music Study as I have been playing a beat up old classical here ' date='as I didn't bring one of my own guitars with me, its actually been a challenge to get some nice sounds but i have been managing and as a theory junkie I have been enjoying spending more time with music study stuff than on business or computer stuff.

Happy New year to everyone, each side of all the ponds.

Roger

One of the big personal revalations I have had this past few days is how the circle of fifths makes remembering all of the notes on the frett board so much easier to pinpoint quickly, I have been meaning to memorise it for quite some time but memorising the circle of fifths speeds up the process for anyone that's interested. I'm sad to say I have been laying in bed

thinking about the circle of Fifths, What an admission.

[/quote']

Happy New Year Roger,

and thanks alot for that. It's something I've been neglecting studying for so much longer than I dare to admit...[thumbdn]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL

Pippy I heard the imperial march again too.[thumbdn]

Albert; you would like The British Empire back again? I think it will probably be China's turn next; every dog has it's day as they say!

Anyway no more political talk!! Duane and the other mods' trigger happy fingers are probably stroking the mouse button over the delete icon as I write LOL

Matt

ps why did we get such a pig ugly royal family

I think it will probably be China's turn next; every dog has it's day as they say!

That particular Empire might not last as long as some in the West may fear;

Dogs in China? It wouldn't be long before they all wound up on the menu.

ps why did we get such a pig ugly royal family

Errr....

I'll come visit you in the Tower, don't worry.

That particular Empire might not last as long as some in the West may fear;

Dogs in China? It wouldn't be long before they all wound up on the menu.

Errr....

I'll come visit you in the Tower' date=' don't worry.[/quote']

That's The Bank of China Tower!

LOL

Albert; you would like The British Empire back again? I think it will probably be China's turn next; every dog has it's day as they say!

Anyway no more political talk!! Duane and the other mods' trigger happy fingers are probably stroking the mouse button over the delete icon as I write LOL

Just a little colonial humour to help us back on the treadmill.

I'm on a cupla other forums - history/philosophy type stuff. All are international in membership, and yeah, I think it's neat to get different perspectives. I truly enjoy the outlooks, opinions and even geographical perspectives.

OTOH, I think also that both the US and Canada need to be considered rather different instances - perhaps Oz as well - in that there's not a single culture in either, regardless of feelings of "nationality." It's kinda like in the UK Scotland certainly wishes to maintain a rather separate identity and one might suggest ditto for the Welsh and... <grin> In a sense it's due to the huge east-west expanse of North America.

But...

Note that all of us essentially are of "Western European" background and orientation. That means we may have fought, literally or figuratively, over politics and religion over the centuries, but that there are certain points of shared history and culture that ties us more than we often wish to admit.

Music is one of those shared histories and cultures, btw.

My concern is that we're losing some of the foundations of that shared history and culture in that, for example, kids today are passing age 18 without the slightest knowledge who Plato and Aristotle might have been, or Plutarch or Livy; of the shared history of Western Europe that has developed into the general culture we now live in.

And yeah, "we." How many here are Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, East Indian (where English certainly is sufficiently well known), African of any variety, Chinese...

So I question exactly how "diverse" we might truly be from the perspective of someone outside an Anglophone-capable Western European general culture...

m

Yes Gibson is a global brand, but when I contacted them a couple of years ago to ask if I could ship my 1966 J-45 to them to have a refret done at the factory they said they do not take international repairs, which I found very frustrating. I wanted it to be repaired at the Gibson factory and they would not do it. I really tried hard to find a way to get them to do it. I ended up having to get it done in London. Fortunately it came out great and I'm very pleased with the work. It would be nice if Gibson recognised us foreign purchasers and players of their products as part of their extended family.

How many here are Japanese' date=' Korean, Indonesian, East Indian (where English certainly is sufficiently well known), African of any variety, Chinese...

So I question exactly how "diverse" we might truly be from the perspective of someone outside an Anglophone-capable Western European general culture...

[/quote']

Also Milod (I ask this hypothetically) but would any of the above nationalities want to join anyway? There are lots of jokes, some friendly and some not so friendly; especially about the Chinese.

I don't think I would blame someone thinking "that place isn't for me" after reading constant knocks about the poor quality of their produce, not to mention there 'strange' diet and pollution etc.

"First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye" is what I would be thinking.

As for the 'anglophones' here ; I think we do have a very diverse bunch too. Not just geographically, but in musical style and also people's nature/characters. I have never been on one forum, where there have three chaps all on the autistic spectrum (hard pushed to find one usually!), a sufferer of obsessive compulsive disorder, an amputee, ex addicts, church goers, Womanisers [cool], homosexuals, hetrosexuals, atheists, soldiers as well as ages ranging from early teens to folks such as your self in their sixties[cool]

On any forum, my wish as a member, is that everyone feels at home... which brings me back to the warm welcome from my friend Bluemoon:-" Guys like him and yourself too Milod attract differences-in a good way.

Bring on more of the diverse is how I feel; variety is the spice of life. The Gibson forums in my opinion are at there lowest ebb when confounded with an attack of a deadly narrow minded disease called "the sameitis"

Matt

DaviSlva - don't give G u e s t the kudos. Check the image with a right click.....

It is pointing to a web site called "britroyals.com" and a sub-folder called "images".

In there is that image - called royal_family.jpg. Ain't no skill on G u e s t's part.

But our thanks for spelling his name so accurately.

And how cool to have someone from Brazil on board - please tell me it's Rio, and you never stop partying[biggrin]

DaviSlva - don't give G u e s t the kudos. Check the image with a right click.....

It is pointing to a web site called "britroyals.com" and a sub-folder called "images".

In there is that image - called royal_family.jpg. Ain't no skill on G u e s t's part.

But our thanks for spelling his name so accurately.

And how cool to have someone from Brazil on board - please tell me it's Rio' date=' and you never stop partying[biggrin']

yeah.. i found that out later after i posted... and i'm not from Rio... i went there once, but i'll never go back... its hot as... Rio!

As for Brazil...

All I know is my one trip there and out to the falls convinced me to tell my local rancher friends that there's some awfully good beef as well as excellent guitar pickin' in Brazil.

The country also gives professional rodeo some good bull riders. Today's "cage fighting" in the US owes a lot to Brazilian jiujitsu as well. Long stories there but it also got me a chance to play with a Capoeira guy in front of a bigger crowd than I usually play guitar in front of. <grin>

Rio wasn't high in outside temperature so much when I was there - but they did send half a dozen guys out of the hotel to bring me back in, claiming danger on Copacabana beach at night. Hmmmmm.

m

Matt...

I dunno about Asia.

It seems to me from the other international boards I'm on that you end up with Finland, Greece and Israel as about the farthest "east" you get. I'm honestly surprised we don't have more Poles or Czechs or especially Russians on boards such as this.

I know Korea and Japan have some pretty good pickers. It seems getting onto a board such as this would be a "natural," but it doesn't seem to be.

Ditto, I'll add, for some "historical and philosophical" stuff I'm into on the other boards. I don't understand why, but it appears that music and guitar is not the limiting factor.

I don't think it's language per se although I know most Koreans definitely prefer writing and typing with Hangul and the specialized word processing that allows syllables to be placed into clusters in that writing system. It's probably similar with Japanese and Chinese who may read stuff in English but don't interact... I dunno.

The latest new guy on one board is from Manilla. But the Latin character set is used there and there are more traditional ties to Anglophone nations. But even India with a huge Anglophone base seems not to participate.

Heck, where are the Germans, the Swiss and the French? The Scandinavians seem more likely but...

One board I'm on is somewhat similar the Gibson forums in South American participation - Brazil seems most represented. I don't understand that. I'm not knocking it, obviously, I just don't understand it. In fact, why more from Brazil than Mexico?

m

Archived