Gibson Brands Forums

Ernie Ball Earthwood

davenumber2

I just put some Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 mediums on my J-45 and it seems to have really come to life. I usually use D'addario PB Meds but I wanted to try something new because I thought the guitar could sound just a little bit better. And I don't EVER like new strings right out of the box, but these were different for some reason. I didn't think I liked the bright sound of 80/20's but maybe I didn't give them enough of a chance. Maybe it's just the Ernie Balls. No good reason for this post I guess, just wanted to share some thoughts.

Well that's interesting! I had those on the Southern J awhile back and liked them initially, then took them off as they seemed to deteriorate really quickly. They were the 80/20 bronze alloy medium lights. I took them off within the week. I'll be interested to hear if you like how they *age*.

As I recall the Hall Groper used to swear by those back in the early forum days. I've never tried them, I prefer D'Addario 80/20's but if I'm not gigging the J45RW (which I haven't for several years due to playing electric lead with a working band) I use the Elixers Nano 12's.

I used to cuss em'.

And so it goes.............

Murph.

Thanks for posting. That gives me another string to try on my J-50.

When I got this guitar a couple of weeks ago it had really old strings on it. The unwound strings were tarnished, but it had a great tone. I changed the strings to some Martin 80/20's and it immediately lost that magic tone and sounded too bright. I have some week old John Pearce 80/20's on it right now and they sound better, but still not "earthy" enough. I'm going to order some more strings from Elderly, so I'll give the Earthtones a try.

People on the UMGF were discussing which strings would give a Martin a "Gibson" tone a while back and several people suggested nickel wound strings will give a guitar a woody tone and let a more natural sound through.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/91629

D'Addario EJ22 and GHS White Bronze nickel wounds were suggested, so I'll give those a try as well.

Thanks for posting. That gives me another string to try on my J-50.

When I got this guitar a couple of weeks ago it had really old strings on it. The unwound strings were tarnished' date=' but it had a great tone. I changed the strings to some Martin 80/20's and it immediately lost that magic tone and sounded too bright. I have some week old John Pearce 80/20's on it right now and they sound better, but still not "earthy" enough. I'm going to order some more strings from Elderly, so I'll give the Earthtones a try.

People on the UMGF were discussing which strings would give a Martin a "Gibson" tone a while back and several people suggested nickel wound strings will give a guitar a woody tone and let a more natural sound through.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/91629

D'Addario EJ22 and GHS White Bronze nickel wounds were suggested, so I'll give those a try as well. [/quote']

You should go on guitarcenter.com and look at all the strings there...so many to try...so little time.

I, like Karen, find that Earthwoods sound like $1000,000,000 when you first whack 'em on (best 'new string' sound ever!) but fall off the face of the planet within a few days.

Maybe I just have corrosive hand oils, or whatever the term is.

I remember trying a set on my Dove, the thing sounded like it could level entire countries for an evening, then the next day wouldn't even perplex a mouse.

I have to concur - thought the EB Earth Wood Bronze whatever things sounded fantastic when I put them on.

Played most every day for a month and by the end of it I was checking over the guitar to see where the tone had gone to, like maybe someone had put a duster inside "for a laugh" or something. Kind of trick drummers and bass players pull to get their own back on the picker.....

Long/short - changed for some EB Coated Slinky things that weren't quite as zingy on day one, but have been on there now for maybe three/four months of reasonable use with little loss of tone. Ain't the cheapest around, but good enough pour moi.

The poster is not in any way associated with, affiliated to or sponsored by Ernie Ball, nor any wholly or partially owned subsidiary of the same.

I still like'em. And I wrote a three short paragraph post all my own on string quirks yesterday without spellcheck or a pic. I was proud. Nobody replied after 39 looks. So I got all red in the face, hung my head and deleted it. Am I on the *hit list again here for something I don't even know I did. Life is hard for a bad boy.

I'm with Jinder and Karen. I slapped them on and "Whoa!" great sound! BUT, after two or three days they sounded like crap. Great strings if you're just gonna play one gig with them. I try different strings all the time, but always go back to my light 80/20 Elixer Nanowebs. Expensive, yes, but you get what you play for. (pay for!!!)

P.S.- I am really impressed with John Pearce strings. I'm on my second set. Great tone, and lasts for more than a week. If only they were coated!

I still like'em. And I wrote a three short paragraph post all my own on string quirks yesterday without spellcheck or a pic. I was proud. Nobody replied after 39 looks. So I got all red in the face' date=' hung my head and deleted it. Am I on the *hit list again here for something I don't even know I did. Life is hard for a bad boy. [/quote']

Write it again. I missed it.....

:-k

I still like'em. And I wrote a three short paragraph post all my own on string quirks yesterday without spellcheck or a pic. I was proud. Nobody replied after 39 looks. So I got all red in the face' date=' hung my head and deleted it. Am I on the *hit list again here for something I don't even know I did. Life is hard for a bad boy. [/quote']

Wow. Victim much? Maybe it's just that there's been dozens and dozens of string posts and everyone is sick of them? Nah, better to get" red in the face" and mope!

Heybk harmony:

Maybe I was kidding. Maybe those who know me, knew that. Maybe because you are new here you missed that point. Strings are a thrill, I know, I make them. I'll leave it there, if you will.

In the name, "Earthwood" sits a small hint. The strings are designed to mellow, to be used for finger picking and to accompany the soft singer's voice. As I mentioned to Karen, Gordon Lightfoot has used Earthwood strings for years. I am not their champion. I stopped using them years ago. I preferred Gibson, because they made their own (until recently) and made them for their own guitars. Darn, don't that beat all, I'm loyal to the Forum provider.

They make great strings in England. They are made in Mexico for you know who. Hopefully, Gibson will begin production again soon. Otherwise, the over 200 brands and 600 varities are wound by under half a dozen independent companies here in the States. So, they really aren't so different in the end; which was the point of the other night's post I later deleted, to spare the forum another string post.

Yes, it is a boring and purely subjective topic to some. But, that is, to most. Some folks are newer players or still hunting for the string they prefer. We owe our forum members with questions the polite nature of our thoughts when asked. In this instance, someone did, ask. :-s

Archived