Gibson Brands Forums

Got some hair extensions; what do you think?

Duende

I think there is a rocker in me and often think what I would look like with long flowing hair and tight leather trousers. Here is a glimpse into the parallel world where I shredded in a band and took long guitar breaks behind relentless power chords

IMAG0410.jpg

German writer Thomas Mann had several pieces that examined "artist" and "culture" and how the two might fit or not fit. Bottom line pretty much, and where I tend to take it, is that regardless of where one wishes to take one's "art," one must remain true to oneself rather than wearing a different culture and appearance that may well not fit very well.

The long hair thing pretty much was a "we're counterculture in today's (1960s) rock, and we're gonna stick it to the mainstream."

Problem is, that became pretty much a cultural phenom and then anybody doing Rock hadda figure how to look increasingly "counterculture" including folks like Kiss, Alice Cooper, etc. In short, it became "mainstream culture" to wear long hair and look "odd" if one played rock.

On the "country" side, as the "rock image" increasingly pervades that genre, I can't believe guys wearing long hair that could get 'em killed doing farm and ranch work. Even the girls up here who do that kinda work either keep hair relatively short, stuff their hair under a brimmed hat while working, and/or depending on the job, put their pony tail through the back end of their baseball cap.

Me? I wear a hat even when playing "classical," "jazz," "swing," "pop/rock" or cowboy country. Why? Because I always wear a hat. I don't wear baseball caps because they let my once-frozen ears sunburn horribly (and cancer-fearfully) in summer and they're not half as warm in winter. So... I figure I'm pretty much true to "me."

Hair? Given that my genetics allow much of the frontwise appearance to include lots of gray hair, I figure I'm just me - and wear my hair pretty much as I have most of my life - a little shaggy and at times what has been referred to as a "sheepherder" appearance. I keep it cut in summer and let it grow in winter for its insulation properties.

I've taken a lotta crap for longer right hand fingernails than on my left for obvious guitar playing reasons.

I figured if others don't like whatever, they could take a long walk on a short pier.

I'd say a counterculture "look" is fine if it is part of an entertainment "act," but that if the music is paramount, do what the hell is comfortable and the devil take the rest.

m

I'd say a counterculture "look" is fine if it is part of an entertainment "act' date='" but that if the music is paramount, do what the hell is comfortable and the devil take the rest.

m

[/quote']

Is that why that guy keeps posting a huge picture of Peter Frampton and saying it's not who you think it is?

Hair extensions? Where? All I can see is those straplocks are huge! Specially for that guitar.[crying]

At first sight I thought I saw huge straplocks as well' date='...but then I took a closer look and Matt's carrying a bag pack with a troll on top...[crying

Halloween was only 3 days away, you couldn't have waited 3 days and changed the topic to trick or treat?

You must have played an early 60's LP for the last 20-30 years - is that what put that hump on your back? I will be polite and not ask how you got that bump on your head, but it sure is a doosy. Gives you that big hair Tennessee look. Glam country?

Archived