Gibson Brands Forums

OneWilyFool - The Lost Sessions

nodehopper

Onewilyfool showed up at my place and we did some jamming. I also talked him into making his YouTube debut! Obviously we both sounded like Guitar Gods last night after a couple glasses of 15 year old Fiddich, but decided for recording we would wait until the cold light of morning to document OWF's immense guitar talents! (OWF - You owe me that $50 now for the plug)

We used my set up using a Shure 58 for vocal and a 57 for the guitar. Through a mixer then out to my video cam.

I had OWF use my John How LBC since I just got a K&K mini installed into it. We thought blending the K&K pick up with the 57 mic gave the guitar the best sound quality.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Nice Job OWF.....

Well...after sorting through hours of dusty old video footage. Most of the footage showed a drunken and drugged out OneWily yelling angrily at studio hands or laying in a pool of his own vomit...BUT I was able to find one gem where he had sobered up enough to perform a wonderful version of this old Big Bill Broonzy song - "When Did You Leave Heaven". He was playing is vintage 1950 Kay Archtop guitar which we used just the Shure SM58 for vocal and a Shure SM57 on the guitar pointed at the lower bout.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy....this is a really nice version!

Awsome Wiley ! Just great! What guitar on the "Steamroller Blues" ? Very #-o

Sub....I let Wily use my John How Ladder Braced Concert that I just recently had John install the K&K Mini pick up into. Taylorplayer swears by the K&K so I took his advice and see why he likes them. They have a very natural sound plugged in and when blended with a standard mic ....really give a good sound that keeps the natural sound of the individual guitar.

John How Guitars

how_front.jpg

Thanks one and all....Node really put a system together that made the whole process easy and simple.......The sound recording was very realistic.....made it easy to just play. Fun too......although' date=' the mind will play tricks on you as soon as that red light goes on...lol.......[/quote']

You lied to me Wily!!!

You said ( or at least implied) that your playing was as krap as mine.

It's not

Thats really nice, well done!

You lied to me Wily!!!

You said ( or at least implied) that your playing was as krap as mine.

It's not

Thats really nice' date=' well done!

[/quote']

JohnT......you are WAAAAAY TOO KIND!!! I'm sure if you were drinking some of that single malt with Node and I the night before, you would have heard some GREAT JAMMING......(I think.....lol)

Excellent all round, performance, recording, the works. And I adore that guitar in Steamroller.....

That mix of pup and mic sounds mighty fine. But you have to help me out here guys.

How do you get the quality sound (from the mixer I guess) into the PC in synch with the video.

I am guessing you are not using the crap mic and AGC that most video cameras have, because

the sound was crisp and clear and the levels were live and dynamic. I have the mixers and stuff,

and I have a video camera with built in mic/AGC (eugh!). What's the trick here. And be gentle,

go easy on technical stuff - do me like those books "Network Protocols for Dummies".

Happy for you to PM me if you don't want to clutter up this thread.

Thanks therm....on that first recording we mic'd and pup'd the guitar. Node then put everything through a small mixer, and his video camera has an "IN" for external mic, so all was clean. Node can go into the specifics of the system, but he has it down!!!! We did a couple of sound checks for volume, and video one was done in one take, video two was done in two takes cause I stumbled at the end of the first one......lol....all in all, a lot of fun. All sound quality acknowlegements go to Node. Somehow he made my voice seem passable....lol. (thank heavens for a little reverb)

(To keep with the "Lost Sessions" theme) - I am still cleaning up after Wily left. After his final song, he felt so good about his performance that he and his entourage of hangers on and groupies started to REALLY party. After OWF had drained the last bottle of booze in the house, he groped and made a sloppy pass at my Wife....he trashed the house and in the classic Rock and Roll act of defiance against "The Man" he tossed my TV out the window. Well...except that he was too wasted to realize I have a single level house and other than a few scratches the TV is fine - although we still can't find our cat?????

Therm... Thanks for the compliments on the recording...I have to say it is a cobbled together system and is only the product of a very steep learning curve. As OWF said I take the mics into a small Peavy Pv8 Mixer ----- take the main output into a PreSonus Tube Pre-Amp to warm up the signal ------The Tube Pre-amp XLR output then goes into the second channel (xlr mic input channel) of my Fishman LoudBox 100 acoustic amp -----The K&K pup was plugged directly into the first / instrument (1/4 inch TRS) channel on the LoudBox. This lets me add some amp effects reverb to the vocal and instrument mics while keeping the instrument channel with the pup clean. The Loudbox has a DI output ------ which goes out to a Rolls PM351- Personal Monitor Mixer. I use this because it has two head phone outputs so I can take one headphone output and plug it into the external mic input on a Cannon FS100 videocam and the second headphone output I use headphone to hear basically the exact sound being recorded.

A couple of the biggest caveats include:

The headphone output into the external mic plug on the cam. Headphone output is a very hot signal compared to a Mic input so inline I use a small headphone volume control like you would use between an IPod and earbuds. It basically acts as an inline attenuator that can be adjusted. I know it is a little janky, but it was cheap and it works. I tried a premade 90db attenuating cable, but it was too much attenuation and the recordings were too quiet.

Sorting through the various connections. Yikes .......Balanced - Unbalanced - XLR -TRS - Mono - Stereo and on top of that the various impedances. I took me a while to figure out all the right connectors and I have a big storage bin filled with various cables I tried and didn't do what I had expected.

One good thing about my current set up is it records the audio and video together on the videocam so there is no editing or splicing together required.

The biggest downfall of my current set up is it records the audio and video together on the videocam. No separate channels for vocal or guitar to tweak afterwards, so I have to make sure that the mix is right before recording. I may start looking at a 2 or 4 channel recording set up...but that will be little while.

I hope that is fairly clear description...feel free to ask if I missed anything or clarification is needed.

The mic and mixer part ain't a problem - I can mix-down to an excellent sound and either firewire or optical it into the soundcard on my PC. It's the video side of things that has me scratchin' mah head..... I'm a muso with techie leaning on the music side, but video. Ouch. Males my brain hurt.

But - I just took a look at my vid, and sho-nuff, it don't gotten no audio input, just AV out - and I checked the paperwork and it's one-way-traffic, outward bound only. Shoot. 1000x digital zoom, interchangeable lenses for 180degree why-dangle to a zoom thats nigh on a foot long and enables me to see the golf-ball Alan Shepard left on the moon..... but no darned choice but to use the built-in mic. DOH!

So - now I guess I need to see if I can use the video camera to record directly on to the PC whilst streaming the audio in at the same time. Some kinda software suite, whatever. Provisionally it seems latency may be unavoidable. Perhaps I should get a butcher video camera with audio IN.

But guys - REALLY nice work on both vids.....

The mic and mixer part ain't a problem - I can mix-down to an excellent sound and either firewire or optical it into the soundcard on my PC. It's the video side of things that has me scratchin' mah head..... I'm a muso with techie leaning on the music side' date=' but video. Ouch. Males my brain hurt.

But - I just took a look at my vid, and sho-nuff, it don't gotten [u']no audio input[/u], just AV out - and I checked the paperwork and it's one-way-traffic, outward bound only. Shoot. 1000x digital zoom, interchangeable lenses for 180degree why-dangle to a zoom thats nigh on a foot long and enables me to see the golf-ball Alan Shepard left on the moon..... but no darned choice but to use the built-in mic. DOH!

So - now I guess I need to see if I can use the video camera to record directly on to the PC whilst streaming the audio in at the same time. Some kinda software suite, whatever. Provisionally it seems latency may be unavoidable. Perhaps I should get a butcher video camera with audio IN.

But guys - REALLY nice work on both vids.....

Therm...I see...

If your video cam records into a digital file format that video editing software can read ...then I would suggest you record your video using both the built in mic on the videocam AND your standard audio recording method. Pull the video w/ built in mic audio off the cam and import it into video editing software. I use Adobe Premier Elements (the $90 consumer version of the expensive full program) You should get a timeline type editing interface that shows the video and audio separately. Then import your high quality audio in as a second audio.

The two audio time lines should be in a view where you see both audio files in a visual wave form. The built in mic audio matchs the video right? .... so if you then drag the second high quality audio so it's wave form matches the cam mics waveform ...then it will be in sync with the video too. Once the two audios match up you disable or mute the built in mic audio and save and the result should be the high quality audio matches the video. I have only done this once and it worked very well...but maybe I just got lucky.

Otherwise I would think that trying to record both video and high quality audio at the same time to your computer would be very taxing on the CPU unless you have a really top of the line computer system or a Mac that is designed for this.

Hope that helps?

Excellent singing and playing OWF' date=' I really enjoyed that, and the recording was amazingly clean. By the way, loved the How, but the Kay has a pretty cool sound to my ear as well. [/quote']

Thanks Dennis, That Kay does have the "old timey" sound and plays very easily, although I buzzed a few notes, I think it adds to that old time sound. The HOW guitar plays like "butter" very easy neck, so both were a joy to play...

Thanks Dennis' date=' That Kay does have the "old timey" sound and plays very easily, although I buzzed a few notes, I think it adds to that old time sound. The HOW guitar plays like "butter" very easy neck, so both were a joy to play...[/quote']

Mr. OneWilyFool....

You needn't look at your videos through a microscope .... Your performances are great and you sound awesome.... You nail the essence!

I bet even Tommy Emmanuel and David Rawlings buzz strings on a regular basis.

It was great getting together, I learned a few new chord theory ideas from you and we had a blast. We need to get all the No. Cal Gibby people together and jam !

Mr. OneWilyFool....

You needn't look at your videos through a microscope .... Your performances are great and you sound awesome.... You nail the essence!

I bet even Tommy Emmanuel and David Rawlings buzz strings on a regular basis.

It was great getting together' date=' I learned a few new chord theory ideas from you and we had a blast. We need to get all the No. Cal Gibby people together and jam !

[/quote']

A Nor-Cal Jam would be COOL!!! I'm there!!!

Thanks Albertjohn.......Next when Node and I get together, I'm thinking of doing two elvis songs, "Are you lonsome tonight" and "only fools fall in love", as well as that Hank Williams haunting song, "I'm so lonesome I could cry" Also ready to record are "Blackbird", "here there and everywhere", "In my life" and "Yesterday" by the Beatles......so we could have a few songs added by next time....thanks for the encouragement

Thanks Albertjohn.......Next when Node and I get together' date=' I'm thinking of doing two elvis songs, "Are you lonsome tonight" and "only fools fall in love", as well as that Hank Williams haunting song, "I'm so lonesome I could cry" Also ready to record are "Blackbird", "here there and everywhere", "In my life" and "Yesterday" by the Beatles......so we could have a few songs added by next time....thanks for the encouragement[/quote']

You're very welcome.

Personally, this stuff is right up my street and very inspiring.

Good job too Nodehopper. How about a duet?

Archived