Gibson Brands Forums

You electric types :-)

Gilliangirl

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what kind of guitar and amp/effects they're using in this song? I'm talking about the lead. Wait til you hear the lead in the middle and at the end. I LOVE this song. I've got the chords figured out, and the key is good for me. But what's the electric bit of it?

Song is As We Fly by Kristin Mooney

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't really hear any obvious effects. It's just a slide guitar. If I had to guess, I'd guess solid-body with humbuckers and mostly the neck pickup selected. Tone pots likely cranked to the bass side. Could be practically any guitar/amp. I'm sure there's some compression in there. Maybe a hint of chorus. But seems it's just a slide guitar.

(I suppose it could be a lap steel, but I'm guessing not.)

I didn't really hear any obvious effects. It's just a slide guitar. If I had to guess' date=' I'd guess solid-body with humbuckers and mostly the neck pickup selected. Tone pots likely cranked to the bass side. Could be practically any guitar/amp. I'm sure there's some compression in there. Maybe a hint of chorus. But seems it's just a slide guitar.

(I suppose it could be a lap steel, but I'm guessing not.)[/quote']

Wow, that's impressive, Bk! Thanks for the feedback. Btw, how can you tell it's likely the neck pup?

So do you aocustic folk like live in houses with no eletricty?

Sounds like a tele btw.

No, us acoustic folk like, like, in the forest, with the wee little people.

Actually, now that I know the difference between a Telecaster and a Strat (much to Das's relief), my first thought was a Telecaster because at the very end when he (she?) hits the high notes, it sounds like it could depart into a twangy country song at any moment. But, I admit I haven't a clue.

Wow' date=' that's impressive, Bk! Thanks for the feedback. Btw, how can you tell it's likely the neck pup?

[/quote']

Ha. Only impressive if it's right. No guarantee of that! Neck position pickups generally lack twang. You get an even, almost cello-like tone from them. You can really hear the pluck on a bridge pickup.

Sounds kinda like Georgie Fab's slide sound -- clean' date=' compressed, glassy. Which is to say, Stratty. Really hard to tell though, with all the sound processing. [/quote']

Sounds like a tele btw.

sounds a little quacky like a strat at times.

I thought Nashville Tele (or other Tele with a humbucker), but didn't want to place a guess that exact, as with effects these days, you can make any guitar sound like anything you want. I do hear the quack, though.

Its definitely a slide on a guitar...probably not a pedal steel slide (but I can't say for sure). Shania Twain definitely had a similar country slide guitar sound in some of her songs....there might be live video you can find of her that'll enable you to trace what her sound is being played on. Hope that helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

OMG I can't stop playing this song! It's 11:15 and I have to go to work tomorrow but I just keep hitting the replay button and playing along with it and I've got the J-185 tuned down and it just sounds so amazing and I can't stop playing this song and especially at the end when I just get to wail away in my favorite chord progression. Please stop me!! Okay, ONE MORE TIME and then that's it :-({|=

Sounds like a tele btw.

Early nights and log fires. And visiting friends with electricity.

Tele gets my vote too. There's alot of sustain and/or compression which makes me think of a lap steel though?

Well now I'm seriously sleep-deprived, but it was worth it.

Thank you for checking the album credits, GB. I did look for that but couldn't find it (found the album at her Myspace page).

I don't know how I'll re-create that guitar sound so this song may just end up as one of those play-along ones. But even that is thoroughly enjoyable.

I might need a nap this afternoon :-)

Thank you everyone for the replies and thoughts!

Well now I'm seriously sleep-deprived' date=' but it was worth it.

Thank you for checking the album credits, GB. I did look for that but couldn't find it (found the album at her Myspace page).

I don't know how I'll re-create that guitar sound so this song may just end up as one of those play-along ones. But even that is thoroughly enjoyable.

I might need a nap this afternoon :-)

Thank you everyone for the replies and thoughts![/quote']

Okay...it's 6:45 AM....go to bed...(or go to work).

Bob

Archived