Gibson Brands Forums

Bass takes lead

Izzy

When I see a band on stage, if it's the usual rock format (drums bass guitar(s) singer),

I tend to think of the guitarist and the singer as the protagonists of the show.

Bass and drums become suporting cast. Think:

Jimmy and Rober (Led)

Rose and Slash (G&R)

Bette Davis is incredible, but she was still supporting cast in All About Eve, before you go telling me I'm insulting the likes of John Paul Jones or John Bonham.

Then there are bands that make a point to say "the bass is a protagonists"

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (flea)

Primus (Les)

There are times though, when a band that is normaly guitar driven makes a song that gives the floor to the bass and makes you go "Wow, that bassist has been hiding back there all this time o.o?"

Pick your favorite exceptions from the guitar driven band you love.

What song of theirs makes the bassist stand out for once?

I had a hard time finding one O.O Not sure it is quite up to par, but I picked Portishead Sour Times:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuUYZJuzie0[/YOUTUBE]

My band. My brother is one helluva bass player and does some riffing and has a couple of leads even though there is myself and another guitar player. Thank goodness he's also our lead singer which helps keep him occupied and from riffing all over the place.

I would have to say most power trios have a dominating bass' date=' for the simple fact that his also acts as a rhythm.

John Entwhistle of The Who bass certainly could be classified as dominating. [/quote']

I recently read or heard the Who described as a group consisting of a lead singer, a lead guitarist, a lead bassist and a lead drummer. I couldn't argue with the analysis.

In the olden days of guitar/piano, drum and slapfiddle, there were a lot more opportunities for bass solos, I think.

Part of that likely is that the noise level was a lot lower than in most rock bands. I think when volume hits a certain point with a "wall of sound" hitting the listener, it takes something with lotza high mids and/or treble - as in guitar - to carry a lead and be discerned as a specific thing. For bass or drums, the other instrument(s) have to quiet down for a solo.

I dunno. I have to admit I don't listen much to current rock but... I think even as the Brit invasion affected the rock I was playing in the 1960s, there was a decreasing level of pointing to individual musicians for a "solo."

Personally I think that's almost more of a change in musical culture than anything.

I kinda liked the way old country and old rock, country, swing, jazz ... switched leads. Bluegrass is one example and it's why the college prof/jazz guitarist I did a recent story on said bluntly, "Bluegrass is the new jazz."

We've also heard some semi unkind comments about drummers here too, on occasion. I wonder if more people would be interested in improving capability on drums if they were to have the opportunity for solos.

The reason some of the old time (30s-60s) drum and bass players had names that became instrumental legends - like today's guitar players - is that there was more of that "solo" opportunity within the context of a band.

The mere fact we have this thread at all is because it's apparently an exception rather than a rule about bass solos...

m

Archived