Gibson Brands Forums

Decisions decisions

nikko18

So I am going to be buying a Micheal Kelly Guitar soon, basically the equivalent of a Les Paul (except I can afford it). BUT I don't know what to do with me Epiphone. As far as epis go it is a really nice one especially with the new pickup and the bigsby I put on. I also really like the finish because I sanded it down to what it is now. But it doesn't stay in tune because the neck was broken in the past. So I am wondering should I trade it in so I can get the new nicer guitar cheaper or should I save it just cause it's kinda special?

What are your opinions guys?

So I am going to be buying a Micheal Kelly Guitar soon' date=' basically the equivalent of a Les Paul (except I can afford it). BUT I don't know what to do with me Epiphone. As far as epis go it is a really nice one especially with the new pickup and the bigsby I put on. I also really like the finish because I sanded it down to what it is now. But it doesn't stay in tune because the neck was broken in the past. So I am wondering should I trade it in so I can get the new nicer guitar cheaper or should I save it just cause it's kinda special?

What are your opinions guys?[/quote']

Wall Art?

I've no clue as to the value of a damaged, modified Epi but I won't keep a guitar that can't be played unless it's for parts for another project. If it won't stay in tune, can it be fixed? If that's the only "problem", why not just keep it, since you're obviously happy with it? If the problem is chronic, what's the point in keeping it? By the time you're my age you'll need two garages to keep your stuff in.

Come to think of it, I need to clean out one of my garages...:-({|=

I think that, because you've customized the Epi so heavily, you're never going to get back what you put into it. I'm no expert on neck breaks, but I don't see how that could be causing a tuning issue; I would think that would be caused by either the Bigsby, tuners and/or nut. If I were you, I wouldn't give up the Epi just to try to raise money but try to get the tuning problem fixed; it sounds like you really like the guitar so it'd be a shame to give it up and not at least get a decent amount of money for it.

Remember all that money you saved by buying a cheap guitar?

Here's where you just lost it all.

Doesn't pay to buy an Epiphone.

Think of it as money you used to go out and have a good time - until you were out of money.

You enjoyed the Epi for awhile, eh?

Well...

For what it's worth, I've got some worn-out "hard body" Nikons that have been in a home display case or two. Not worth much on a trade-in even in their day. But they did some good traveling and work for me over the years. I especially like a smashed lens I broke at 2 a.m. on the steps of a Buddhist temple in central Korea.

m

Keep the epi. You wont get your mods worth if you sell it.

You can take it apart and sell the parts and pieces if you see the need to get rid of her.

I like this idea the best. I could probably get at least a hundred to two hundred from the parts and that way I could keep the body and use it as art or something (I'm also an artist, the not musical type). I could also keep my custom made pick up I really like. That still leave a Bigsby, Schaller tuners, push pull pots and a Seymour Duncan pickup to sell.

Thanks you guys.

Archived