Gibson Brands Forums

LP Guy Thinking SG - Which One?

Archer993

One of the beautiful things about this forum is the wisdom one can tap into.

So here's my question/preceded by a statement:

I love Les Pauls. The tone is outstanding. I PLAY MINE EVERY DAY.

However, as a kid growing up in the 60s I remember a couple of local bands where guys had Les Pauls. The sound was great. Tonight, I went to a coffee house concert where one of the guys in the WINTER PILLS used an SG and it sounded outstanding.

I know tone is a complex equation and I wonder how versatile an SG is.

I Know I want one, and will put it on the "next guitar" list after I pay my taxes, that is.

My price range would be $1500-$2500.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance...

i have an SG Std. ilove it because it has the 490-498 PU combo, which a little more diverse than the 57s in the 61RI.

if you're looking for the vintage vibe, the 61 RI is your choice. and believe me, it's a freakin' sweet axe. but for me, i wanna play ACDC, then Sabbath and then turn up the gain for old school thrash- and my Std can do it all.

i have an SG Std. ilove it because it has the 490-498 PU combo' date=' which a little more diverse than the 57s in the 61RI.

if you're looking for the vintage vibe, the 61 RI is your choice. and believe me, it's a freakin' sweet axe. but for me, i wanna play ACDC, then Sabbath and then turn up the gain for old school thrash- and my Std can do it all.[/quote']

So you'd pick those over the Angus Young signature?

My 61 RI is soooo sweet and covers all the Classic Rock bases I need. Dunno about metal though, I think I'd change the pups for higher output jobbies.

The 61 RI has a very thin neck. The Standard has a clubbier one. Both are great, but you may prefer one over the other.

The Classic, if you can find one, has P90's and an even fatter neck. Its a 'tone monster' but does suffer from single coil hum, like a Strat does. It sounds midway between a Strat and a SG with Humbuckers.

The neck joint on a 61 RI is different to the Std and Classic. It joins at the base of the fret board. Regardless of joints, you can play all the frets on any SG anyway, so its a bit academic. You'll certainly notice the difference compared to a Les Paul!

Then there's the question of budget

Classics are cheapest then

Specials (faded, dot postion markers and Humbuckers) then

Standards then

61 RI then

Historic series

Good luck with your quest!

So you'd pick those over the Angus Young signature?

Good question. i have never played the Angus Sig. The PUs in that guitar are high output as I recall, which scares me. I have a Classic and the 496-500 PU combo seriously sucks. I don't buy that whole "ceramics are good for metal" thing. I really think the 490-498 combo is a pretty versatile set. One thing I don't like about the Angus model is the Vibrola. I prefer a Standard bridge.

I think the Angus signature's bridge pup is only good for distortion...but, it does have a 57 at the neck. Not sure where you are, but up here Angus' SG really dropped in price.

I have two. My Special w/EMGs sounds incredible, but the tone knobs are basically there for cosmetics only. It's a great guitar if you're the type of guy that leaves the tone at 10. The Standard, on the other hand, is a different story...a nice tone range - not as nice as a Les Paul, though.

You really can't go wrong with any SG. I prefer the finished look on the 61 RI & Standard - inlays, pup covers, etc. Most people will probably say go with the 61 RI because of the 57s Classics, I didn't want a 61. I wanted a Standard and am very happy with it...as with each of my guitars.

Truthfully though, as nice as SGs are, I want to play a Les Paul when I'm playing a SG. That's just me.

If you want...because you're a good friend...I will trade you my SG Standard for your Page LP? Straight up exchange 'cause I'm a nice guy. :-k

If you want...because you're a good friend...I will trade you my SG Standard for your Page LP? Straight up exchange 'cause I'm a nice guy. :-k

Right. If you throw in a few picks and a polishing cloth with the SG it's a deal. I'm boxing the Page up right now and will have it over-nighted to you by Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe not ;-0

The slim neck cinched it for me.

I got a 61 with Maestro, and I LOVE it! 57 Classics, neck joint at 22nd fret....

The Standard is cool, if the fatter neck suits you and the upper fret access is not quite as important.

It is the Standard, all others are compared to it.

Priced WAY below what a Les Paul Standard is....

I also have a Classic with P-90's and it's a killer guitar for the money!

I'm sorry, but a Faded or Worn or whatever they call an SG with cheapo looking satin fishes will not get my money.

Would you buy a brand new car with only primer on the body?

Gibson isn't doing anybody any favors with those.

Sorry if you disagree.

I'm sorry' date=' but a Faded or Worn or whatever they call an SG with cheapo looking satin fishes will not get my money.

Would you buy a brand new car with only primer on the body?

Sorry if you disagree.[/quote']

I haven't played any of the Faded SGs. But if they're like the Faded LPs, then they might sound better. My Faded Std sounded better than the gloss Std I sent back to MF yesterday (but the gloss certainly looked better!)

They seem very popular with the students at the Music Academy I go to. They are an affordable way into owning a good Gibson rather than an Epiphone or similar budget guitar.

The students' most popular choices are

1. Faded SG

2. Epiphone Les Paul

3. Mexican Strat

On a budget, I know which I'd prefer - the Gibson SG faded.

well i have a suggestion for you, get the 61 RI one, i used to own the standard but both didnt satisfy my thirst of tone, until i swaped my standard with the 61 RI. well it actually satisfies me much better (the 57 classics is super awesome), but hey its a matter of taste, but the 61 RI i bet you'll want one..

They are an affordable way into owning a good Gibson rather than an Epiphone or similar budget guitar.

Yeah, Ibis.

I understand the concept, and brisk sales would bear that out.

I'm of the opinion, as is my 18 year old son, that buying a nice used guitar to be proud of is a better alternative than buying the cheapo "entry level" piece with limited resale value.

In a year, even a new guitar is "used" so there's no longer a difference.

The whole idea behind Gibson selling them?

They're cheap - end of story.

If that is the first priority on your List of Guitar Needs, Gibson is gonna get your money.

If you're gonna gig real heavy, or you want to paint it and put stickers all over it, or you need a few guitars for alternate tuning, backups, etc, then by all means go for it.

Like I said, I don't get it and I won't own one.

When automakers resort to primer finishes to lower sales prices and it actually move more units, THEN I'll admit maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, there's always the "value priced" DeLorean.

:-)

If nothing else, it makes gloss guitars a little more desireable.

The sound difference attributed to the finish is something I've yet to hear.

Call me a non-believer.

I know, I know.....

I'm gonna get flamed for this post.

Sorry, it's only one man's opinion!

I'm sorry' date=' but a Faded or Worn or whatever they call an SG with cheapo looking satin fishes will not get my money. Would you buy a brand new car with only primer on the body?[/quote']

Some faded SG's are actually good, but you have to look REALLY hard. I found one, but, it took a couple months of searching to find it, and I payed about $100 extra for it, but it was well worth it.

Yeah' date=' Ibis.

I understand the concept, and brisk sales would bear that out.

I'm of the opinion, as is my 18 year old son, that buying a nice used guitar to be proud of is a better alternative than buying the cheapo "entry level" piece with limited resale value.

In a year, even a new guitar is "used" so there's no longer a difference.

[/quote']

Yup, you're quite right there. At the Academy I use an old Washburn Wing (its my 'around the house guitar' too) and have my R7, 61RI SG and SG Classic at home in cases, ready for gigs. If I was the parent of each and every student (something even I in my wildest younger days would never have managed) I would make your advice compulsory learning. Unfortunately, they arrived with these guitars already purchased. I guess at 16, they want to own a new guitar (and their parents will indulge them, up to a point). I was just reflecting upon the behaviour of 'the herd'.

If that is the first priority on your List of Guitar Needs, Gibson is gonna get your money.
Or Fender will!

Like I said, I don't get it and I won't own one.

We're in agreement there, I too am very partial to my shiney guitars, but each to their own; some people like them. Some people even like BFGs!

Of course, there's always the "value priced" DeLorean.

? "That's The Power of Love!" ?

Sorry, it's only one man's opinion!

And a well reasoned one too!

If you already have a Les Paul, maybe try an SG with P90s. The Classic is a pretty popular choice, plus there's also the GOW '67 SG Special (if you prefer the smaller pickguard).

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SG67-LIST

I brought mine along to a gig last friday, figuring I'd try it out on a couple of songs, and wound up using it for the whole third set. I usually alternate between my Les Paul and an ES-339 (using the ES on songs where I need a nice clean sound) but the P90s let me crank it when necessary, but also clean up nicely. It's a very versatile guitar that'll give you sounds your LP (or an SG Standard, for that matter) won't.

We're in agreement there' date=' I too am very partial to my shiney guitars, but each to their own; some people like them. Some people even like BFGs![/quote']

Hey Ibis,

Another thread here jolted my little brain for another cost saving option when buying a guitar.

Factory seconds.

I had one, never found the flaw.

If you find a twenty year old second that plays well, it just doesn't get any cheaper than that.

I challenge anybody to notice that little 2 on the headstock!

Does Gibson still do factory seconds?

They were usually cosmetic issues, right?

Well, I'd say the Worn/Faded guitars have "cosmetic issues" and are priced accordingly........

We're in agreement there' date=' I too am very partial to my shiney guitars, but each to their own; some people like them. Some people even like BFGs![/quote']

Hey Ibis,

Another thread here jolted my little brain for another cost saving option when buying a guitar.

Factory seconds.

I had one, never found the flaw.

If you find a twenty year old second that plays well, it just doesn't get any cheaper than that.

I challenge anybody to notice that little 2 on the headstock!

They were usually cosmetic issues, right?

Well, I'd say the Worn/Faded guitars have "cosmetic issues" and are priced accordingly........

special faded w/ ebony neck and moon dot inlays... You will make marks in your trousers when you hear the sound. Look for the closest thing to a one piece body you can find as a starting point.

Use your ears... SG's are very specific for tone, compare lots of them... I found mine without even looking for it, I just wanted a hum-bucker equipped guitar, played everything in the store (A-Z $300 to $5000) and paid $1000 even for the SG.

I can't rave enough about this!!!!

Worryingly' date=' I haven't heard of any. Perhaps they ship them regardless these days?

Can anyone enlighten us?

I can't rave enough about this!!!!

There speaks a happy man! Rock on!

Archived