Gibson Brands Forums

An ear opening moment

James Allen

So, I'm running the light show for my brother's band. We were at practice and the band was playing one particular song that had three guitar players playing at the same time.

One Player is playing through a POD. Sounded really good.

One player is playing through a Diditech "floor effects" board. Sounded really cool.

One plyer steps up, plugs in to his Marshall tube amp and the tone and quality was so incredibly different that I made up my mind right there to never use a pedal board IF I can use an all tube amp. The difference was incredible.

The point guys is that though I knew there was a difference, I never really understood the DRASTICALLY distinct differences until this moment when all three were playing at the same time.

Any other of you had moments like this concerning amps, guitars, etc. concerning music?

One plyer steps up' date=' plugs in to his Marshall tube amp and the tone and quality was so incredibly different that I made up my mind right there to never use a pedal board IF I can use an all tube amp. The difference was incredible.[/quote']

Giddyup! Those floor thingies and modeling thingies sound good until they are in the room with an all tube amp. They record pretty well though - maybe better than they sound live.

Any other of you had moments like this concerning amps' date=' guitars, etc. concerning music?

[/quote']

Hey James long time...

uhhh no to answer your question. Most of us here already know that tube amps are the way to go.

Just kidding, most of us probably have had a moment where we realize tube amps are the only way to go.

Hey James long time...

uhhh no to answer your question. Most of us here already know that tube amps are the way to go.

Just kidding' date=' most of us probably have had a moment where we realize tube amps are the only way to go.[/quote']

It feels good to find th time to participate in the forums again, Droge1!

Don't get me wrong, I knew tube amps were the way to go, but I've never heard them against other forms of amplification. It solidified my belief in the power of the tube!

BTW, I recently bought a new Marshall stack. Sounds great. I need to post some pics.

One guitarist I know, is always buying the next "greatest thing," in processors.

He loves them, in the "Studio," but he's never satisfied, with their sound "live," no matter

if it's through the PA or into an amp. I play (with minimal pedals, and only for what

they do, and not for overall tone), through Tube amps, only. He is always trying to

get the tone I get, with his processors, and fails...miserably, at times, in the process.

Gibson humbuckers, and Marshall amps, are a match made in Heaven...IMHO! I love

Fender amps, especially Twin Reverbs and the old "Dual Showman's," as well.

CB

I'll be the first one to admit that a tube sounds better. As alluded to here, speakers are part of the equation. I played about 10 tube amps along with the Vetta II in the same room. Sure, it won't get that exact tube tone but I found it to be pretty close. Try a Vetta II instead of a POD through a PA and you'll hear a drastic difference between them (that's why the Vetta II costs a lot more). Also, it'll get a thousand more tones than any single tube amp. Plus, you get every effect in world all wrapped up nicely in one amp. I'll admit that I traded true tube tone for versatility, but for the styles I play this is better for me...

BS indeed.

Very true.

Years ago, I had the same epiphany.

I hear cover bands (who need the flexibility) using all kinds of digital stuff and it works decently.

Most people will never notice.

I just don't care for it.

Now and then though, I hear a guy playing and I think "Wow, he sounds pretty good..." and I have to walk to the stage to see his rig. Sometimes there's digital aids, usually there's not.

Sorry, I'll remain analog.

Hey, Lowdown....

You and SlashAdler need to trim the length of the border in the top of your signature line by about 20%.

Makes my screen all nutty.

I love my Vox Tonelab LE but I got it after retiring from giging so I've never heard it through a PA. However I don't think It would quite stand up to my Marshall JMP. Though I think I would do well as long as I was not trying to sound like my JMP and dialed it up for what works.

IMHO.......

I love how many different sounds I can get, from a cranked non master volume amp, and a les paul, the tone is amazing, the cleans are better then you would imgine, but not in a crystal clear way, but in a warm, acoustic-y type way.......

but pedals are not the anti-christ, a nice set of effects/delay/reverb/gain boost/wah will not hurt, I keep 4 pedals in front of my marshall (tuner,wah, delay/echo, and phaser), I would say any more then that, and you loose the awesomeness of pure gibson and marshall tone

the cleans are better then you would imgine' date=' but not in a crystal clear way, but in a warm, acoustic-y type way...[/quote']

Yep -- the tube clean that I call a "Wind Cries Mary" clean. It's not spanky clean. It's more warm and chewy but not quite distorted... lots of sustain and not too biting. Love it.

it'll get a thousand more tones than any single tube amp.

Gotta disagree I felt that way for a short time when digital started getting competitive sounding, but thats where it stayed. They sound pretty good but thats all I can say just listen to how people describe them as almost as good as a tube amp, or look how close this sounds to a Marshall. Sorry but no sale as for the 1000 tones, what's the point if you can't get the right one it's like cable TV when I was young we had three channels and TV was pretty amazing now I have over 800 channels now and honestly hardly watch it because 800 useless channels doesn't equal a good Thursday lineup on a young NBC.

I love playing with pedals and different sounds even have a Roland it's a hoot and more fun than should be legal in some places but it's not a tone that satisfies why I picked up a guitar the first time.

I'm going to have to agree with all you tubers. I just got my Zvex nano which is the first tube amp I've ever had, and I plugged it into my 4x12 cab and sat right next to the speaker and was amazed at the tone. The cleans are mind blowing- it's like night and day after playing solid state amps.

After I had my little epiphany - after hearing about "the difference" for so many years - I felt like a ******.

When I finally plugged into a good Fender tube amp and played LOUD, quiet, and everything in between....

How long had I resisted?

Years.

Now I have to struggle with being too harsh with some of the solid state 'just-as-good' adherents.

Frankly, I keep going back to just three distinct possibilities;

1. They're clueless. They have never actually plugged into a good tube amp and cranked it up.

2. They are more than tone deaf and simply cannot tell the difference - so how do they even play?

3. They can hear the difference to some degree but just don't care.

Thin, processed, effects-laden noise is normal to them, and they consider real tube sound to be just another tone.

(One of thousands they can dial up on a whim.)

I know lotsa players in that camp, two of them are monster players with recording studios at their house.

Not just a spare bedroom loaded with gear, but full-tilt, purpose built studios with isolation booths.

I just agree to disagree with them.

I know lotsa players in that camp' date=' two of them are monster players with recording studios at their house.

Not just a spare bedroom loaded with gear, but full-tilt, purpose built studios with isolation booths.

I just agree to disagree with them.[/quote']

A place for everything...and everything in it's place mate.

I hear ya,and that's what I put it down to.

Now I have to struggle with being too harsh with some of the solid state 'just-as-good' adherents.

Frankly' date=' I keep going back to just three distinct possibilities;

[b']1.[/b] They're clueless. They have never actually plugged into a good tube amp and cranked it up.

2. They are more than tone deaf and simply cannot tell the difference - so how do they even play?

3. They can hear the difference to some degree but just don't care.

Thin, processed, effects-laden noise is normal to them, and they consider real tube sound to be just another tone.

(One of thousands they can dial up on a whim.)

plus 1

Archived