Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Stomp Box

Californiaman

I did a search today for the "Favorite Stomp Box" topic today—didn't want to post something that was posted say, "yesterday" and I get Advice From The Troll's Box.

That's right.

For all of you long-time members, Homz topic on the proper way to baste a turkey, comes up.

Anyway,

what is your favorite stomp box?

Although my Maxon OD808 is the one I cannot live without, my all time favorite is the Mosrite Fuzzrite. Hours of delicious, psychedelic, jet plane landing on your house, germanium fuzz. They made a silicone version too if that is your thing.

mosrite_fuzzrite_001.jpg

I'm in the process of(one of these days anyway)putting this back together as I still have the circuit board. If you do a search,these are collectable.

Nasty wicked fuzzzzz fer daze..[blink] [blink]

Was my first stomp box 30 years ago. It's dated mid '70's I think.

Wicked.

MelosFuzzder.jpg

This is a tougher question than I thought. So, I'll pick three because I use them for three different applications.

My most indispensable pedal is the Analogman King of Tone that I use as a gain boost in front of my band amp. The pedal has two channels which is handy when switching between an LP and a Strat.

Next is the Analogman Beano Boost treble booster. It works great for giving me a big hair band tone with just about any guitar.

Outside of the realm of gain, my favorite time based effect is the Foxrox Aquavibe. Foxrox has been making Univibe clones for over 15 years (I own several different Foxrox versions) and the Aquavibe is the best - and newest - version. It sounds awesome and it's compact.

Well, I always have a Tube Screamer in the chain. Used to be a TS 10, but now it's a TS 9 (Way Better), so you could say it's that. However......

Believe it or not I have a Sentimental Favorite Pedal. I have an old Ibanez DCF-10 Digital Chorus Flanger that I bought with my very own money back when I was in High School. The music store I bought it from went under about 10 years ago, it was where I bought all my Lyres, Valve Oil, and Mouth Pieces for my Trumpet. Where I got my first Music VHS (Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder), where I got my First Real Amp, my second Real Amp, and every string I ever broke up until the moment it went under. So i like that Pedal Best, but I don't use it a lot.........

That's it on the left.

2165488920100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

This is a great thread...

Hmmmm. I don't think I have a specific favorite brand of pedal. I think it's more of a favorite type. -Delays. I love 'em. I use two; a MXR Carbon Copy, and a Boss DD-3 (my DD-5 crapped the bed). I like to use them to give some depth to parts of songs. I really want to check out the Electro Harmonix Memory Boy that just came out. You can plug an expression pedal into it, and slow down/speed up the rate of the repeats. -It can make for some really crazy outer-space type sounds.

pedals.jpg

Well since we're posting pedal pics;here's my collectors pieces. Don't really use them now(G7 comes in there when I need versatility). But I like bringing them out now and again.

DSC01718.jpg

All original. Morley Fuzz-Wah,Boss CE-2,MXR Dist+,Guyatone Phaser,Cry Baby & sought after 80's brown chip TS-9

I'm a big fan of the Danelectro Fab Tone.

I takes my ordinary tube amp sound to levels I've never been able to get from just plugging into my amp.

I like it's tight fuzzy sound. It reminds me of Slash's sound in the Lenny Kravitz video Always on the Run. I just love that tone. In fact, if I wish could dial that tone up straight from an amp, I've yet to find that amp.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67L0fsHvFg[/YOUTUBE]

I would imagine that after my Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2 arrives for Christmas that it will soon become my new favorite.

I'll probably get laughed at for this one but...

I tried a box a thousand years ago or so, maybe around '73. Flanger as I recall. Darned thing's in a box around here somewhere. Never used it in a gig. Never seemed "right."

Anyway, always used a little reverb and sometimes a tad bit of trem on the old Fender Deluxe Reverb and then on the big tube mamajama.

That was all until I got a solid state Kustom acoustic 35 watter that is a lot easier to carry. But... no trem, the reverb just wasn't quite right for me so... A Zoom 707 multi-effect has about three modified settings that add just about what I like for doing blues and shuts off easily. <grin> It tells me how far outa tune I might be.

So... in a way you could say I don't really have a "stomp box" per se, but rather a little machine that plugs between the guitar and amp to make the amp sound like I think it should. The fancy effects frankly I don't care much for.

But... then too there's the Boss Leslie emulator and that's to me not so much a stomp box as a replacement for some 80 pounds of Fender Leslie....

m

.... in a way you could say I don't really have a "stomp box" per se' date=' but rather a little machine that plugs between the guitar and amp to make the amp sound like I think it should. The fancy effects frankly I don't care much for.

But... then too there's the Boss Leslie emulator and that's to me not so much a stomp box as a replacement for some 80 pounds of Fender Leslie....

m

[/quote']

[biggrin] You da man M. [thumbup]

Ever since I bought my Mesa amp I am using only 2 Marshall pedals, they have plenty of settings.

The Echohead with different delays, hi-fi, vintage, analog, tape and envelope filter.

The Regenerator with chorus, flanger, phaser and vintage vibe.

The original Big Muff Pi first made 69-70 I believe,I have the first year of issue and it's like nothing else,I also have a Tim's Own Fuzz that's pretty funky,they were apparently handmade by a guy from Boston in the mid-late 60s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived