Gibson Brands Forums

Recent Trip to GC

Silenced Fred

Got to play a 335, I am in love [biggrin]

The clean sounds with it were outstanding, very nice for crunch and even heavier gain without insane feedback like other semi hollowbodies. Great blues sound out of it. And the feel and fret access is great, imo.

Wow, I totally forgot I played a 339, pretty much the same stuff written about the 335, but smaller, I think I will definitely be getting one as soon as I get the funds together

Also got a chance to try out a Jet City 20W Head, and I was very impressed with the value. Clean sounds are a little iffy, able to get, but have to play with the knobs a bit to get them. Crunch tones and gain are above par, for 300 bucks, they can't be beat. I personally think the logo is really cheesy, but can easily be taken off the head and cab for a nice clean look

Oh, and some people were total ******bags there too, in case anyone was wondering :-

The ES-335 is heavenly - I love mine.

I use it for a lot of rhythm/riffs stuff where a little bit of easily-controlled feedback is desired.

Lotsa meaty growl in one of those guitars to go along with the bell-tone/piano-like cleans...

EVERY guitar player should have one in his arsenal.

See signature for my opinion of Guitar Center.

It's unchanged for 20 years now - and just when you thought they couldn't get any worse.....

I like the 339 too, but I would go for the 335 even though its a thousand more. I prefer the bigger size, the 339 might be perfectly proportioned but it doesn;t look right. Whatever you pick get a Vintage Sunburst, the most bada$$ colour of all.

I like the 339 too' date=' but I would go for the 335 even though its a thousand more. I prefer the bigger size, the 339 might be perfectly proportioned but it doesn;t look right. Whatever you pick get a Vintage Sunburst, the most bada$$ colour of all.[/quote']

See, I played both, but I prefer the 339. I would definitely go with the Vintage Burst, it does look the best. I am a sucker for bursts

I only go to GC to get the small stuff. I had GC's Black Friday coupon they send out every year and I wanted to upgrade my DAW. I called them to see if they had the upgrade. They said "we don't know but we'll call you back." Well they never did. So I stopped in the next day and chewed them out, which actually felt pretty good (hate to admit it but it's true).

Go for the 339!! I actually went for it because a 335 is too big for my frame (5'8"). Now I've got a guitar that feels comfortable, plays extremely well and looks amazing....

es339fc.jpg

That guitar is too damn beautiful #-o

I love the bursts I have a weakness for them' date=' if only women came in vintage burst :-k

Man I would love to, but it's hard to part with 2 Grand when you are 17 and preparing for college :-k

[/quote']

Your 17. #-o

I'm more into the 339 because of it's size. A full-bodied archtop is just too much' date=' probably the same reason I don't have an acoustic. I just can't get comfortable. But they are beautimus, I love the vintage burst too.[/quote']

I don't seem to mind a 335 as much, but the 339 just feels so right. It doesn't match a 335 tone wise, but it comes damn near close!

That guitar is too damn beautiful

I love the bursts I have a weakness for them' date=' if only women came in vintage burst

Man I would love to, but it's hard to part with 2 Grand when you are 17 and preparing for college

[/quote']

Thanks for the complements, to DAS44 too. My advice to you is NOT to part with the 2k until you can easily afford it. Trust me, I was in the same situation when I was 17. Go to college, get a great job and then fulfill you GAS attack till you've had your fill.

A buddy of mine used his college money to buy a Mesa-Boogie amp. Well he got a good amp, but that's all he got because he dropped out of college. I don't mean to sound like a preachy father, I'm just talking from experience. I also know a little about what kinds of jobs people get when they graduate because I'm a professor. Grades in college matter! Anyhow, it sounds like you've got your priorities right and you seem very mature for your age. Someday that dream guitar will be yours for sure...

They're damn fine instruments.

I've always wanted a Heritage Cherry 335. Back in '91 I saw Robert Plant on his Manic Nirvana tour, his Keyboardist Phil Johnstone pulled out a Cherry 335 and I've wanted one ever since.

Wouldn't mind a ES-339 either, a nice Light Burst, like Honey or Iced Tea.

Thanks for the complements' date=' to DAS44 too. My advice to you is NOT to part with the 2k until you can easily afford it. Trust me, I was in the same situation when I was 17. Go to college, get a great job and then fulfill you GAS attack to you've had your fill.

A buddy of mine used his college money to buy a Mesa-Boogie amp. Well he got a good amp, but that's all he got because he dropped out of college. I don't mean to sound like a preachy father, I'm just talking from experience. I also know a little about what kinds of jobs people get when they graduate because I'm a professor. Grades in college matter! Anyhow, it sounds like you've got your priorities right and you seem very mature for your age. Someday that dream guitar will be yours for sure...[/quote']

Thank YOU for the compliments [biggrin][blink]

Right now, I am just working on my school's newpaper that I am the Editor in Chief of, and that is a full time thing, no lie. A lot of people slack off and I need to get on their back, the only saving grace is the decent feedback I sometimes receive from the students who actually read it [angry]

I plan on studying to become an English Teacher, and after that, get an ES-339, but I think that can wait, right now, I wanna get a Jet City 20H, previously mentioned, and probably like the Blackheart Killer Ant, or an Epiphone Valve Junior for College, still gotta practice [cool]

I was all set to buy an R8 (Tim was helping me...) when I bumped into a 335 and fell in love with the neck. Also the tone......

While researching the 335 I discovered the 339 in the semi hollow section (Junkie helped me....).

The rest is history.

Best of luck.

I was all set to buy an R8 (Tim was helping me...) when I bumped into a 335 and fell in love with the neck. Also the tone......

While researching the 335 I discovered the 339 in the semi hollow section (Junkie helped me....).

The rest is history.

Best of luck.

Murph, when I went in all they had were ones with the 50s neck, what is the difference between the 30/60 and a 50s? I have a Studio, so the 50s neck is no problem for playing, but I was just wondering if it was worth trying out?

I love em, if only I didn't have to buy Christmas presents.....

The 30/60 is a touch thinner. That's what mine is. For me, it makes it "faster"....

Having said that, it only takes a few minutes to re-adjust to a different neck thickness.

Adjusting to a different scale kills me anymore. That's why I don't play my Tele anymore. I'll fly up the neck and miss the mark!

The 30/60 is a touch thinner. That's what mine is. For me' date=' it makes it "faster"....

Having said that, it only takes a few minutes to re-adjust to a different neck thickness.

Adjusting to a different scale kills me anymore. That's why I don't play my Tele anymore. I'll fly up the neck and miss the mark! [/quote']

I heard that it was thinner, but I also heard it was "flatter"? Oh well, I will just have to play one.

I know exactly what you mean, That's why I am considering selling my Strat, the different scale just feels off. I also use a tone of bends in the music I write, and the Gibson scale length is much easier for me

American Strat?

Keep it!

You can always use it for something.

I have limited experience with the 339, and from what I understand they are incredible guitars.

BUT....

I do not believe they are a direct replacement for a 335.

Maybe close enough for some people, but the more I played my 335 the more I loved it.

Someday I'm sure I'll get a 339 as well.

That's how I roll.

:-k

Archived