Gibson Brands Forums

In Memoriam

jaxson50

As this year comes to a end I thought it would be nice to take a moment to pay respect to those who we have said goodbye to in 2009. We lost many celebrities in the past 12 months, some of you may have said goodbye to a loved one. Post a note here if you wish.

On the 23rd of July my only brother passed away unexpectedly, we were very close speaking by phone to each other nearly everyday, he was 66, he left behind four sons and a daughter, and seven grand children. He was many things to many people, but for me he was my oldest friend, my mentor and sometimes my tormentor.

He gave me my first guitar lesson, introduced me to rock and roll, and blues, taught me to defend myself and was always there for me.

I had already lost both parents, all my grand parents and uncles and aunts, but this hit me harder then those losses, maybe because we had supported each other through those other losses and many other hard times, and now I had to face this loss with out my brother.

He had a hard life, he drank too much and he could be a pain in the butt when he was drunk, he smoked to much and for to many years. And I would give anything to have him pestering me right now. HE was born during WWII, my dad's shipmates made him their Skipper and nick named him "Skipper" and the name stuck.

He was the strongest man I ever knew, once when my 1954 Ford F-100 needed a new clutch, he got under it and started busting bolts, within a few minutes he said here Jimmy, when I looked down he was laying on his back handing me the transmission, with the bell housing still attached, in one hand, and smiling that mischievous smile that said, "I bet you can't do it"! He was right of course.

There was never a better guy to have watching your back. Somehow I feel he may still be watching my back for me.

RIP Skip, Dam I miss you.

As this year comes to a end I thought it would be nice to take a moment to pay respect to those who we have said goodbye to in 2009. We lost many celebrities in the past 12 months' date=' some of you may have said goodbye to a loved one. Post a note here if you wish.

On the 23rd of July my only brother passed away unexpectedly, we were very close speaking by phone to each other nearly everyday, he was 66, he left behind four sons and a daughter, and seven grand children. He was many things to many people, but for me he was my oldest friend, my mentor and sometimes my tormentor.

He gave me my first guitar lesson, introduced me to rock and roll, and blues, taught me to defend myself and was always there for me.

I had already lost both parents, all my grand parents and uncles and aunts, but this hit me harder then those losses, maybe because we had supported each other through those other losses and many other hard times, and now I had to face this loss with out my brother.

He had a hard life, he drank too much and he could be a pain in the butt when he was drunk, he smoked to much and for to many years. And I would give anything to have him pestering me right now. HE was born during WWII, my dad's shipmates made him their Skipper and nick named him "Skipper" and the name stuck.

He was the strongest man I ever knew, once when my 1954 Ford F-100 needed a new clutch, he got under it and started busting bolts, within a few minutes he said here Jimmy, when I looked down he was laying on his back handing me the transmission, with the bell housing still attached, in one hand, and smiling that mischievous smile that said, "I bet you can't do it"! He was right of course.

There was never a better guy to have watching your back. Somehow I feel he may still be watching my back for me.

RIP Skip, Dam I miss you.[/quote']

I am truly sorry about your loss. My heart and prayers go out to you and in fact I just prayed for you and his family.

RIP (the short list)

Les Paul,

David "Fathead" Newman,

Ricardo Montalban,

James Whitmore,

Louie Bellson,

Paul Harvey,

Hank Locklin,

David "Pop" Winans Sr.,

Bea Arthur,

Vern Gosdin,

Dom DeLuise,

Wayman Tisdale,

Koko Taylor,

Bob Bogle,

Farrah Fawcett,

Willy DeVille,

Jim Carroll,

Henry Gibson,

Mary Travers,

Al Martino,

Soupy Sales,

On November 29, 2009, four Lakewood Police Officers were ambushed and murdered while they sat in a coffee shop in Lakewood, Washington.

RIP Sgt Mark Renninger, Ofc Tina Griswold, Ofc Greg Richards and Ofc Ronald Owens. They each left behind a spouse and a total of 9 children.

On November 29' date=' 2009, four Lakewood Police Officers were ambushed and murdered while they sat in a coffee shop in Lakewood, Washington.

RIP Sgt Mark Renninger, Ofc Tina Griswold, Ofc Greg Richards and Ofc Ronald Owens. They each left behind a spouse and a total of 9 children.[/quote']

SGdad,

Thanks for the post, we should never forget. Everyday brave men and women put on uniforms and put themselves between us and danger, and sometimes they pay the ultimate price. We owe them more then we can ever possibly pay.

RIP (the short list)

Les Paul' date='

David "Fathead" Newman,

Ricardo Montalban,

James Whitmore,

Louie Bellson,

Paul Harvey,

Hank Locklin,

David "Pop" Winans Sr.,

Bea Arthur,

Vern Gosdin,

Dom DeLuise,

Wayman Tisdale,

Koko Taylor,

Bob Bogle,

Farrah Fawcett,

Willy DeVille,

Jim Carroll,

Henry Gibson,

Mary Travers,

Al Martino,

Soupy Sales, [/quote']

Michael Jackson

Really sorry for your loss jaxson50. You're absolutely right about him still watching over you. Find strength in that and always cherish the memories. Nobody can ever take that away from you.

I watched news clips of the service for those police officers and hundreds of RCMP and local Canadian cops showed up there. It was very impressive and must have been some consolation for the families.

I'm in the middle of a separation/ divorce after 20 years with my wife. It feels like a death in the family. This will definitely be a year that sucked for me.

Archived